The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

f6cvalkyrie

A 9-shot (vertically shot) panorama from the terrace of our Chateau.
Panasonic G1, FS modified, with 650 nm external filter
The original stitch is 52 Mpx

C U,
Rafael

scho

I posted earlier in this thread about using a neutral/warm icc profile for soft proofing and toning IR images. I've created a few more profiles for neutral, warm, cool, and selenium tones. They are available for download as a zip archive for those that want to experiment. You can use them for soft proofing in either LR or CS6 by putting the profiles in your Colorsync>Profiles folder where they can be accessed. To create a toned image just open the image in CS6 and use Convert to profile with the absolute color rendering option. You can also create blends by stacking toned images in layers and adjusting layer opacity to get the tone blend you want. Sample images below using the pure tone profiles. Here is a dropbox image stack psd file created from an IR image and toned variants (warning LARGE file download).

Original RGB

Neutral

Cool

Selenium

Warm

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thank you, Carl. That is very generous of you to share.

This is a photo from Downtown Charleston using Carl's Selenium tone.
Panasonic G1 665nm and Panasonic 14-42mm

Last edited:

scho

Thank you, Carl. That is very generous of you to share.

This is a photo from Downtown Charleston using Carl's Selenium tone.
Panasonic G1 665nm and Panasonic 14-42mm
You are welcome Cindy. I made these profiles primarily for soft proofing when processing images for printing with QTR, but they also work well for toning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I usually do toning with the Split Toning panel in LR, but Carl's profiles are a quick way to get a nice toned look. This photo is toned with his warm profile.

Panasonic G1 665nm, Panasonic 14-42mm

f6cvalkyrie

This spooky image was processed in LR and in NIK COLOR EFEX (midnight preset) and then again in LR for split toning ...
Shot with FS G1 with external 850 nm filter

C U,
Rafael​

D

Deleted member 7792

I posted earlier in this thread about using a neutral/warm icc profile for soft proofing and toning IR images. I've created a few more profiles for neutral, warm, cool, and selenium tones. They are available for download as a zip archive for those that want to experiment. You can use them for soft proofing in either LR or CS6 by putting the profiles in your Colorsync>Profiles folder where they can be accessed. To create a toned image just open the image in CS6 and use Convert to profile with the absolute color rendering option. You can also create blends by stacking toned images in layers and adjusting layer opacity to get the tone blend you want. Sample images below using the pure tone profiles. Here is a dropbox image stack psd file created from an IR image and toned variants (warning LARGE file download).
Thanks a lot Carl. I'll give the profiles a try.

Joe

scho

Just a final example of how the curves used to generate the soft proofing icc profiles I posted are actually employed when making split tone prints via QuadTone RIP. You can use up to three different printing curves to make split tones and more importantly, you can vary the blend of tones in highlights, mid tones, and shadows. This screen grab shows the QTR driver in LR set up for a print I was making on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin where I wanted selenium toned deep shadows, warm mid tones, and neutral/warm highlights. Tonal transitions are blended by the QTR driver and are very smooth in the print.

D

Deleted member 7792

Carl, thanks for the info on Quad Tone RIP. I am not currently using a RIP, and the QTR option appears to offer everything I'd need at an unbeatable price.

Joe

scho

Carl, thanks for the info on Quad Tone RIP. I am not currently using a RIP, and the QTR option appears to offer everything I'd need at an unbeatable price.

Joe
You are welcome Joe. If you use a Mac, I have a nice QTR tutorial that Lou Dina wrote up when we were making profiles for the Epson 1400 a couple of years ago.

scho

A few NEX5N-IR (720) shots taken with the Touit 12 today at Cornell's Newman Arboretum.

D

Deleted member 7792

You are welcome Joe. If you use a Mac, I have a nice QTR tutorial that Lou Dina wrote up when we were making profiles for the Epson 1400 a couple of years ago.
I am a Mac user and would love to read your tutorial.

Joe