The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

scho

NEX5N-IR720 with the Sony FE Zeiss 35mm f/2.8

This image was shot at an angle and then straightened in DXO Viewpoint 2.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Roadside Table for Two

Found this on a back road while visiting the Sedona area last week. Sony A7r FE 24-70 (59mm) f/8 1/125 ISO 50 (handheld)

scho

Keep your eye on the ball! Sunday afternoon baseball practice. NEX5N-IR720+Sony FE 35 2.8.

scho

After seeing the nice work here with FS converted cameras (Raf and Cindy), I went ahead and had my A6000 converted to full spectrum. Just got it back today from LifePixel (thanks Daniel!) and shot a few test images with and without different filters and WB. I haven't yet touched all of the possibilities this camera offers, just basic stuff so far. Looking forward to trying some deep IR with an 850nm filter that is on order right now. All with Zeiss 32mm Touit.

Naked (no filters) and custom WB on neutral gray bench in image.

Kolari UV/IR Cut filter, BRNO lens cap custom WB

Kolari 590nm filter, BRNO lens cap custom WB

Ditto above

Kolari 665nm filter, BRNO lens cap custom WB

scho

The FS A6000 + Rhinocam + Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8 Planar. No filters. Full size image stitched from 8 shots is 155 MP.

Original

A 100% Crop

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm excited to follow your findings, Carl. Congrats on the new conversion.

BTW, I found a hot spot problem with my Zeiss Touit 32mm. Have you seen any?

scho

I'm excited to follow your findings, Carl. Congrats on the new conversion.

BTW, I found a hot spot problem with my Zeiss Touit 32mm. Have you seen any?
Thanks Cindy. Yes, a little hot spot, but more concerned about some lateral loss of sharpness with the 32. I haven't figured that out yet.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks Cindy. Yes, a little hot spot, but more concerned about some lateral loss of sharpness with the 32. I haven't figured that out yet.
Are you using autofocus? I have found that when I mount the 18-35 f/1.8 DT Sigma on the LA-E4, I can not depend on autofocus. I have registered a correction at AF micro adjust -20 and that does not quite do it. I have to tweak with manual focus.

scho

Are you using autofocus? I have found that when I mount the 18-35 f/1.8 DT Sigma on the LA-E4, I can not depend on autofocus. I have registered a correction at AF micro adjust -20 and that does not quite do it. I have to tweak with manual focus.
Yes, I use AF. Usually no problem, but for scenes with distant objects auto focus is not very reliable. I'll try some adjustment and see if it improves, otherwise I may have to MF with this lens.

digitalanalogue

Hi All,

Fantastic thread, I found this place while googling for information on IR converted sony nex cameras and it seems I've found a good place for discussion with several members here displaying superb use of of their converted nex bodies.

A couple of days ago I received a brand new Sony A3000 converted for full spectrum, which I'm very pleased with, see an example I've taken here: https://flic.kr/p/oj46DV

However whilst it seems to work well with my normal mid to telephoto lenses, I was hoping to use my SEL1018 quite a lot alas the performance is terrible with that lens. Edges are horribly out of focus and there appears to be a considerable hotspot in the center too. The filter I'm using on this lens is a cheap one, but I'm loathed to pay good money for a better filter of the lens just isn't likely to work on converted cameras.

Has anyone here tried this lens on a converted camera?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi All,

Fantastic thread, I found this place while googling for information on IR converted sony nex cameras and it seems I've found a good place for discussion with several members here displaying superb use of of their converted nex bodies.

A couple of days ago I received a brand new Sony A3000 converted for full spectrum, which I'm very pleased with, see an example I've taken here: https://flic.kr/p/oj46DV

However whilst it seems to work well with my normal mid to telephoto lenses, I was hoping to use my SEL1018 quite a lot alas the performance is terrible with that lens. Edges are horribly out of focus and there appears to be a considerable hotspot in the center too. The filter I'm using on this lens is a cheap one, but I'm loathed to pay good money for a better filter of the lens just isn't likely to work on converted cameras.

Has anyone here tried this lens on a converted camera?
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new conversion.
I have not used that lens, so I can't help you on the hot spot issue. I don't think the filter would be causing the hot spot. It is usually lens coatings. It is possible that a cheap filter might cause problems with your edges. I hope someone can shed more light on this for you.

digitalanalogue

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new conversion.
I have not used that lens, so I can't help you on the hot spot issue. I don't think the filter would be causing the hot spot. It is usually lens coatings. It is possible that a cheap filter might cause problems with your edges. I hope someone can shed more light on this for you.
Thanks Cindy, I'm loving the new camera even if I can't use my favourite lens with it! I went for a stroll last night and found myself lifting the camera to my face all the time just to see what things look like in IR it's a bit like looking at the world with new eyes :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
It is always an adventure.
BTW, the Zeiss Touit 12mm works great on the Sony IR cams, if you are looking for a WA option.
The combo of Maxmax CC1 filter and a UV filter for regular photography on full spectrum gives good results.

digitalanalogue

I've had a bit more of a play and have discovered that it is much worse at 10mm than 18mm, I'm hopeful that the filter is to blame, I've got a hoya red #25 on the way. Fingers crossed!

Cindy, I've seen your pictures with the 12mm, they're great, I'd love to get one myself but since I already have the 10-18 which I love, it's a bit too much of an expense for me. I also find the zoom quite handy at this end of the focal length the difference between 10mm and 18mm can't normally be made up for by moving your feet :)

Don Libby

Decided to go wild and crazy with this one. An abandoned Bar and Grill off US 20 west of Pecos TX. Sony A7r FE70-200 at 166mm. f/5.6 1/100 ISO 100 and 830nm IR.

Don Libby

More wild and crazy stuff, this time from Dyess AFB in Abilene TX. This is the first jet to drop an atomic bomb. Sony A7r Rokinon 14mm shot in 665 nm IR.