The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
not experienced with IR photography. Can you reproduce most of these shots/effects in post?
You can make a stab at making a regular photo simulate an IR photo in post, but you will not capture the IR light that comes off of plants in the form of a glow, and you will not capture the detail in clouds that is captured with an IR filter.

Uaiomex

At my niece's shamanic wedding back in September in Tepoztlán, México. Supercolor A6000 with the 50mm 1.8. Slight crop.

gsea1477

Sorry for quoting old post, but I've just converted my DP1m and keen to learn from your trial and error and so wondering which filter you ended up on to reduce the IR enough but still pass visible light?!

Thanks and love the images. Awesome.

Here is the screen grab an IR+visible spectrum image via the Sigma DP1 before post-processing a raw capture (X3F file, Sigma-speak for raw). The Foveon sensor captures both the IR and the visible light spectrum when combined with a filter that attenuates the intensity of IR. It took me several trial and errors to find a filter that decreases the intensity of IR and at the same time let the visible spectrum pass through.

Is this "false-color"? I don't know. By convention, "false-color" IR is a term used during post-processing when we adjust the sliders in the Channel Mixer portion of Photoshop. As you can see in the screen grab, the image is a raw file and all sliders are all in neutral setting:

iiiNelson

Just got my return tracking number from LifePixel yesterday after shipping my A7R last week after I was done with all my holiday travel. Looking forward to some multispectral shooting.

kdphotography

I've shared elsewhere using the same technique/adapters for the Cambo----but really I acquired this for the ease in changing filters shooting my Sony A7r full spectrum.

This is what I'm talking about: XUME 67mm Lens Adapter and Filter Holder Pro Kit B&H Photo Video

They are available in a variety of filter ring sizes as well as individually. By attaching a simple lens adapter to the lens, and a holder on to your filters, you can change filters quickly and easily simply by "slapping" them on. The rare earth magnets hold the filter onto your lens securely. No more twisting filters on and off, no more filter thread jams. Fewer fingerprints on the filter glass. Changing filters on the A7r is so much easier now, especially since with full spectrum I am much more apt to change filters.

Add a filter pouch on your belt: Tamrac MX5388 Filter Belt Pack MX538801 B&H Photo Video

:) ken

D

Deleted member 7792

My IR entry won second place in the annual "Mill As Muse" photo contest held at Raleigh's historic Yates Mill.

Joe

iiiNelson

Just got my camera back but my 590nm filters won't be here until tomorrow. In any case this is straight out the camera with a white balance and slight manipulation of highlights and shadows in C1P8. Degradation in sharpness isn't the camera... I shot through a screen in the window because it's cold outside. The camera is as sharp (if not sharper) as usual. Going to do more testing with PS CC when I get the time.

A7R-FS + 55FE

FS_Test by HiredArm, on Flickr

f6cvalkyrie

First IR captures of this beginning spring ...
Of course, with my FS Panasonic G1 and a 850nm external filter

Overlooking the "Etang du Gris Moulin"

Chateau de La Hulpe

C U,
Rafael

scho

Just cleaning out my closet and found my old G1-720nm with Contax G 45 planar. Still works fine:)

scho

Another from the old G1. Six shots stacked in PhotoAcute3 to generate a 48 MP dng file. Exported a 25% jpeg file from Lightroom to flickr.

Sliver Maple

and a still life (click image) for 48 MP original fie.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

So an unintended side effect of the FS conversion is that I'm noticing that I can make greatly improved B&W with the A7R (not that they were bad to begin with.) Dare I say that I'm craving a M Monochrom a lot less (although to be honest if Sony announced a 16mp+ monochrome FE camera this week I'd be the first to say "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!") That would probably be worth the angry stares of my fiancé.

iiiNelson

Kinda came across this EO/IR Composite effect that is similar to how movies tend to portray IR... You can photoshop it 'm sure with a normal EO image but the IR really glows off the cow in the same image when converted.

IR590_Rework 2 by HiredArm, on Flickr

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Spring Showers in the Desert - California, near Parker, Arizona
665nm filter on A6000 FS, Voigtlander 21 f/1.8 Ultron

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have a question for you who are shooting the A7r FS cameras. Are you stacking the CC1 and a UV cut filter, or just using a CC1?

iiiNelson

I have a question for you who are shooting the A7r FS cameras. Are you stacking the CC1 and a UV cut filter, or just using a CC1?
Cindy,

I'm using just straight KolariVision 590nm filter (in 49mm/67mm) but I do have hot mirror filters (in 49mm/67mm) for the normal shooting. I don't own UV filters yet because I don't know that any of my lenses will pass UV anyway right now.