The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
HiredArm, I meant IR (486 B+W), not UV.

I read a post by Mark Hilliard, who is quite a good infrared artist. He has many, many iR cameras, but mainly shoots Fuji's. He mentioned that if you got a full spectrum conversion, you would need to use a CC1 and a B+W 486 filter (like we used on M8). I only use the CC1 on my A6000 FS, but his comments made me wonder if others were stacking 2 filters to go back to regular color. Mostly when I shoot color, I shoot my A7s or A7r. I'm thinking of having the A7r converted and selling the A6000.

iiiNelson

HiredArm, I meant IR (486 B+W), not UV.

I read a post by Mark Hilliard, who is quite a good infrared artist. He has many, many iR cameras, but mainly shoots Fuji's. He mentioned that if you got a full spectrum conversion, you would need to use a CC1 and a B+W 486 filter (like we used on M8). I only use the CC1 on my A6000 FS, but his comments made me wonder if others were stacking 2 filters to go back to regular color. Mostly when I shoot color, I shoot my A7s or A7r. I'm thinking of having the A7r converted and selling the A6000.
I don't know I can try to shoot examples of both when I get some time. I have both hot mirror and 590nm in both 49/67mm but I've never tried to stack them yet. Are you happy using only your CC1? I'm still learning how to process my IR shots and that's why I've only bought one wavelength so far before jumping into others (namely 830nm+.)

The hot mirror filter I have allows 390nm-720nm in and blocks most everything else to insignificant levels according to specs. I can try to test stacking filters out soon though.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I don't know I can try to shoot examples of both when I get some time. I have both hot mirror and 590nm in both 49/67mm but I've never tried to stack them yet. Are you happy using only your CC1? I'm still learning how to process my IR shots and that's why I've only bought one wavelength so far before jumping into others (namely 830nm+.)

The hot mirror filter I have allows 390nm-720nm in and blocks most everything else to insignificant levels according to specs. I can try to test stacking filters out soon though.
Not stacking 590 IR and CC1. I'm talking about regular color. I wanted to know if people were finding it necessary to stack CC1 and a B_W 486 Cut filter. I use only the CC1 on my A6000 for color.

iiiNelson

Not stacking 590 IR and CC1. I'm talking about regular color. I wanted to know if people were finding it necessary to stack CC1 and a B_W 486 Cut filter. I use only the CC1 on my A6000 for color.
Okay I misunderstood. Is the CC1 a IR/UV cut filter? I'm not familiar with all the various model designations but rather what they do. In that situation I just use the Kolari Hot Mirror UV/IR cut filter to return to normal color.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Okay I misunderstood. Is the CC1 a IR/UV cut filter? I'm not familiar with all the various model designations but rather what they do. In that situation I just use the Kolari Hot Mirror UV/IR cut filter to return to normal color.
Maxmax CC1 and the Kolari Vision Color Correcting Hot Mirror Filter (UV/IR cut filter) have a similar graph.

f6cvalkyrie

The sky above the farm, this morning ...
Still FS G1 with external 850nm filter

5-shot (vertical) pano, stitched in LR6

Straight shot with 14-45 kit lens

CU,
Rafael

Don Libby

Trying one last time to post here before giving up and walking away. (Attempted to post here 2x one with an image and both times the new procedure ate the post)

I hadn't thought about stacking filters until this morning and looking forward to trying it. The problem I currently have (besides to post this) is I broke the shutter (snapped the post) as I was working my way north to Tahoe earlier this month. I tried to fix it but only made it worse. I do have a spare A7r that has been sent in along with the broken body to Life Pixel so I should be back to shooting WS/IR by the end of the month.

I had just begun testing shooting IR flash with a QF80 and thanks to Ken Doo saw great results and look forward to continuing this later on.

I also was given the chance to try a Leaf Credo WS 50 while in Tahoe and kept it for the drive back to Tucson. Working a WS/IR digital back on a tech camera opens up a whole new area for me. And since this thread sucks without an image this is the first 2-shot pano I used using the Credo WS 50 on my WRS/40 HR.

Don

(this marks the 3rd and final attempt to post this)...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

f6cvalkyrie

Pano (shot vertically) stitched in LR6
FS G1 with 14-45 and 850nm filter
Sepia from NIK Silver EFEX

C U,
Rafael​

Don Libby

720nm Infrared using flash - Sony A7r (converted to wide spectrum) along with a Zhongyi Speedmaster 50mm (f/.95) lens. A 720nm filter was attached to the lens as well as to the QFlash (using a QF80). f/18 1/125 ISO 200. This was the first testing of this setup as the Sony had just returned from Life Pixel. More to follow - Don

Don Libby

Another one from last night experimenting with a Q-Flash T2 and QF80 reflector. Sony A7r and FE24-70 (42mm) with a 720nm filter attached to both the lens and flash head. f/11 1/100 ISO 200

Don Libby

I've been testing using a flash with a Sony A7r that's been converted to capture full spectrum the past couple days. Nothing new about the Sony as I've been shooting WS/IR for awhile. The difference is adding a flash to the mix. I've begun using a Q-flash T-2 with a QF-80 IR reflector attached. The great think about this setup is that it allows a full range of shooting possibilities from shooting bare bulb color to various IR simply by screwing in an IR filter to cover the bulb; so if I'm capturing 830nm on the camera I use a 830nm filter on the flash. These are just 2-sample of what I'm getting doing this. The first was captured last night around dusk and the 2nd (the flower) was captured this morning about an hour ago in bright sunlight. This is definitely something I'm going to continue learning about. Don

FE24-70 (47mm) f/8 1/100 ISO 100 taken around 5:30 P.M.

50mm f/95 at around f/2 1/6400 ISO 100 taken at 10:11 AM. There's been no processing done to this other than white balance in C1.

Sunpilot

This is my first attempt at IR. These are the first pics I've taken in IR, and with my new A6000. Just a novice, of course, and I have a lot to learn, especially about post processing.

I just had a new Sony A6000 converted to dual spectrum by Kolari, and I am shooting with a Sigma 30mm f2.8.... my only lens so far. Any comments/ criticism is appreciated.

scho

Just trying my old NEX 5N (720nm) on the Cambo Actus with 55mm Rodenstock APO-Grandagon. This is cropped from a 6 image stitch.

Don Libby

Still working the kinks out of capturing IR with a flash...

End result of using a Sony A7r and 50 f/.95 shot in wide spectrum along with a Q-flash T2 and IR QF80 reflector (used a bare bulb this time.)