The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So here is my first capture with my "new" A7r Full Spectrum conversion... This was with the B+W 091 deep red which is supposed to be roughly 630nm. Set a custom WB, and it looked good in the VF, but colors seem overly vibrant -- thoughts? :

Original as out of cam:

R<>B Swap:

But here is a B&W conversion from the captured file -- and I'm actually pretty impressed:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LOL, maybe it's just gonna take me a bit to get used to it. I thought the 630 would be my goto, but I may be happier with the 590. Need to experiment more :)

iiiNelson

Re: &quot;Capturing Infrared&quot;

So here is my first capture with my "new" A7r Full Spectrum conversion... This was with the B+W 091 deep red which is supposed to be roughly 630nm. Set a custom WB, and it looked good in the VF, but colors seem overly vibrant -- thoughts? :

Original as out of cam:

R<>B Swap:

But here is a B&W conversion from the captured file -- and I'm actually pretty impressed:
I agreed that they're nice shots. It's possible that B+W filters leak a bit more visible light than the rating suggests but I'd expect there to be a good bit of vibrancy from a filter that lets in wavelengths down to 630nm. Going by LifePixel's website that's about halfway between the Super Color IR and the Enhanced IR filters

- - - Updated - - -

Original as out of cam:

R<>B Swap:

I agreed that they're nice shots. It's possible that B+W filters leak a bit more visible light than the rating suggests but I'd expect there to be a good bit of vibrancy from a filter that lets in wavelengths down to 630nm. Going by LifePixel's website that's about halfway between the Super Color IR and the Enhanced IR filters

scho

Shooting with no filter on the lens can also produce some nice FS files for B&W conversion.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Your colors seem more bold than I would get with my 665nm. You use Capture One, right?
I do like the black and white one the best.

scho

My A7R just came back from LifePixel with a full spectrum conversion. Still had all of my Kolari filters that I used previously on the A6000 FS so I ran through some calibration shots and tests.

The following series was shot using the Sony FE 28/2.

CC filter

No Filter

590nm filter

850nm filter

and here is one with an R72 (720nm) filter on the CV 15mm III at f/8. No hot spot evident.

scho

Two 4 shot panos using the A7R-FS on the Cambo Actus with SK 47/5.6 APO-Digitar XL.

No Filter

665nm Filter

scho

Still testing and calibrating. This time with wides on the A7R FS and no filter.

First up the CV 15 III again. There was some pronounced cyan corner vignetting so I had to use a dng flat field correction. Also this lens is a bit softer overall and on the edges with the A7R compared to near perfection on the A7RII.

Next the Samyang 24mm TS lens. My copy is with Nikon mount so I used a Novoflex NIK/E adapter. Works fairly well with the A7R FS and no cyan vignetting, but again not as good corner/edge performance compared to the A7RII.

scho

Looking south down the west branch of Keuka Lake from the patio at Esperanza Mansion. Handheld shots with the A7R-FS and Sony FE 28/2 lens.

CC Filter

590nm Filter, R/B channel flip and yellow/blue hue/sat adjustment

Same as above converted with B&W Adjustment layer, darkening blue and lightening yellow.

850nm Filter

No Filter, hue/sat adjustment for blue and yellow

Same as above, B&W adjustment layer, darken blues and lighten reds and yellows.

I think of the three B&W options above I prefer the last one for the range of tones. Easy as well because you don't need any IR pass filters when shooting.

Last edited:

Uaiomex

Just came back from a little trip to Florida. Took only this camera with the 20 and the 50. And my RX100-3 that stays with me all the time. Talk about traveling light!
Super Color A6000 with 20mm pancake. Cape Coral, Fla.

_DSC3922get.jpg

Don Libby

I blame Guy for starting this :grin:. A couple weeks ago he posted a thread of how he removed the petals off his Voigtlander CV15mm V III lens so that he could use his 67mm filters instead of the 58mm. Of course I found this interesting and thought it might be a fun project, however I was unwilling to spend in excess of $700 on a lens for a "fun project" so I put it out of my mind. (Yeah sure!)

Browsing E-Bay this past week I happened upon a sale for a V II that also included a M-E adaptor for way less and of course I bought it. The difference seems to be the filter size changed from 52mm on the V II to 58mm on the V III (I also think the front element is larger on the III). Since I still have a couple 55mm IR filters I thought if a 52-67 step up ring caused too much problems I could always opt for the 55mm. Turns out the 52-67 works just fine.

Here's a couple samples from yesterday shortly after cutting and trimming; all taken with a Voigtlander 15mm V II lens.

f/5 1/400 ISO 250 830nm (handheld)

f/5 1/400 ISO 125 830nm (handheld)

f/8 1/60 ISO 100 830nm (handheld)

f/8 1/320 ISO 100 Full Spectrum (handheld)

Once you get over the fear of cutting everything else is okay.

don

kdphotography

Super swamped, but wanted to share an IR image taken at a recent engagement portrait session. I'll have a blog post up at some time (when I get a breather to write!) on using IR flash with different available filters in the IR spectrum. This particular image used a Profoto B2 with an IR flash adapter, 715nm filter, and a Sony A7r full spectrum camera, 24-70 with 720nm filter. Custom WB with Expodisc and converted to B&W. The IR Flash adapter works with the Profoto B1 and B2.

_DSC2251 Matt Natalie IR Web.jpg

Ken