The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

kdphotography

Any updates on the IR flash adapter?
Sorry---I've been swamped (overwhelmed) caring for my mom during her transition in memory care here in Carmel. Getting old (with dementia) really sucks. Her---not me. :rolleyes:

I'm about half-way done writing the blog article on IR Flash with the Profoto B1 and B2 (portraiture and Landscapes), still need to flesh it out more. Picked up some tips shooting IR adapted flash while I was shooting with the Profoto B2 at Alcatraz at Night with CI in Carmel a few months back. The IR flash adapter is relatively easy to do, and I'll try my best to show how I modified the Profoto B1 and B2.

Working on it!

Ken

iiiNelson

Sorry---I've been swamped (overwhelmed) caring for my mom during her transition in memory care here in Carmel. Getting old (with dementia) really sucks. Her---not me. :rolleyes:

I'm about half-way done writing the blog article on IR Flash with the Profoto B1 and B2 (portraiture and Landscapes), still need to flesh it out more. Picked up some tips shooting IR adapted flash while I was shooting with the Profoto B2 at Alcatraz at Night with CI in Carmel a few months back. The IR flash adapter is relatively easy to do, and I'll try my best to show how I modified the Profoto B1 and B2.

Working on it!

Ken
No worries and I hope your mother's transition goes well. I've dealt with that sort of responsibility off and on with my grandmother who also suffers from dementia. Yes it does suck when they get frustrated that they can't remember things.

f6cvalkyrie

from a visit to a lady who owns a mysterious old orchard in Russia ...

FS G1 with 680 external filter - very cloudy weather ..

CU,
Rafael

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Vivek, Have you tried shooting any flowers with your ultraviolet filter? I've read that details can be revealed on flowers that we don't see.

V

Vivek

Vivek, Have you tried shooting any flowers with your ultraviolet filter? I've read that details can be revealed on flowers that we don't see.
Hi Cindy, i have been shooting in UV for over a decade now (make that decade and half), starting with film. Yeah sure. Most who shoot in UV are beating the dead horse of how some flowers look in UV. I even shoot street in UV because I can.

All my UV gear is up for sale now for a small amount of cash, including an UV-Nikkor that i bought from a true digital pioneer Fumio Yokozawa.
(UV photography is as old as photography itself, btw)

Ihave loads of UV pics on my flickr space.

darr

First post in this thread. After looking at everyone's images here I decided to buy a used Fuji X-E2 and have Lifepixel convert it to Super Color. I am not new to IR, but I am new to color IR. I have in the recent past used one of my SD1M with the blocking filter removed (user can easily remove and reinstall) and a R72 filter for black and white. Even though once the blocking filter is removed and the SD1M can become super color 590nm ready, I would still need a filter and the SD1M has no live view. For black and white it is adequate, but I want live view for color. I did my first IR photography way back in the early 80s with Kodak high speed IR film and an A25 filter. It is much better today with mirrorless cameras.

The image was made shortly after I received the camera from the UPS guy and then walked around my back yard snapping away. I used an ExpoDisc and made a custom WB moments prior to shooting. Once the images were taken into Lightroom (LR), I noticed one of the WB sliders was maxed out. I then decided to download Adobe's DNG Profile Maker and made a camera calibration profile for use in LR. Then I took the first image and used the camera calibration profile, selected all the other images from the shoot and synced the camera calibration for them all. LR saves me so much time when I know what I need to do. Once this image was chosen, I took it into Photoshop and used Topaz filters to adjust the color, add a texture and a bright spot with haze so it looked like the sun was behind the tree which in reality it was on the other side of the property.

Thank you to everyone contributing to this thread and I hope to be adding here over time.

Kind regards,
Darr

Last edited:

Satrycon

Nikon S1 IR, mod from KolariVision
handheld street

"Wet Eco-system"

"Crossing while Green"

"Transparencies in IR"

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Darr,
Beautiful!!!
I set my white balance by shooting green grass. You might want to compare a scene using both green grass and expodisc for setting the white balance.
I use a Sony A7II LP converted, but I have heard that the Fuji's make excellent IR cams when converted.
If you want to max the color that you have to work with, you might try using the convert to Profile command in PS to go to the LAB space (not Image>mode>LAB). You can use the curve command to increase the sat, lum, hue and to white balance. After coming back to PS, then you can use Topaz, Nik or whatever you like to work with the color.
Looking forward to seeing more from you!
Cindy