The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C Mount on m4/3s?

O

OzRay

I know it's been stated here before, but can't find anything, so need to ask again. Does a C Mount lens fully cover the m4/3s sensor or not? Thanks for replies.

Cheers

Ray

O

OzRay

Never mind, I think I've found that the answer is no.

Cheers

Ray

RichA

Never mind, I think I've found that the answer is no.

Cheers

Ray
I have one c-mount lens that does. 25mm f1.4 Fuji CCTV 1" lens. Vignetting (darkening) yes, but no circular cut off. Had to modify a retaining ring on the back of the lens. Additionally, some 16mm movie lenses must cover the sensor, but I don't know which ones.

V

Vivek

It is OK to be behind everything, Ray (leica extension tubes, OUFRO, c-mount lenses, etc) but better not to make any misleading posts.

C-mount lenses would cover the frame and some, depending on the lens. Some are much smaller and better than anything made for the m4/3rds and most have a real adjustable aperture diaphram.

O

OzRay

It is OK to be behind everything, Ray (leica extension tubes, OUFRO, c-mount lenses, etc) but better not to make any misleading posts.

C-mount lenses would cover the frame and some, depending on the lens. Some are much smaller and better than anything made for the m4/3rds and most have a real adjustable aperture diaphram.
Not quite sure what you mean by the first paragraph. I have the OUFRO and it works well; was pondering some C mount lenses for wide angle, but it appears that the imaging circle isn't quite sufficient in this format. I already have the CV 28mm f2 and CV 50mm f1.1, so manual lenses aren't a surprise. Until digital, all I ever had were manual lenses.

Cheers

Ray

Photomorgana

Most of the C-mount lenses 26mm and up cover m4/3 sensor just fine.
There are some 18mm and 25mm C-mount and Arri mount lenses that cover sensor as well.
C-mount Schneider 50mm f0.95 covers sensor royally and fairly sharp wide open.
There is also Kinoptik 9.8mm that covers the sensor just fine, for example.

Thank you.

Thank you.

O

OzRay

Most of the C-mount lenses 26mm and up cover m4/3 sensor just fine.
There are some 18mm and 25mm C-mount and Arri mount lenses that cover sensor as well.
C-mount Schneider 50mm f0.95 covers sensor royally and fairly sharp wide open.
There is also Kinoptik 9.8mm that covers the sensor just fine, for example.

Thank you.

Thank you.
All I could find was that a few of the longer focal lengths would cover the sensor, but most other lenses would, at the very least, vignette somewhat and with the shorter focal lengths you'd get more of a circular image.

I searched far and wide, so it's especially interesting to find out that a 9.8mm will cover the sensor with no vignetting. Hmm? I just had a look at the Kinoptic on Google, not what you'd call a small lens. Ah yes, anything made for 35mm cine would cover the sensor quite well. A 10mm f1.8 Angenieux would be preferable from a size point of view.

Cheers

Ray

Photomorgana

Unfortunately, if you need 10mm FOV and small size there is only one option - Panasonic 7-14mm (great lens btw)
The widest lens I have that covers the sensor completely and tiny in size is Angenieux 14mm f3.5 in Arri mount. (great company, their lenses are top notch)
You can get 18, 25, 32, 40mm and up Cooke Panchro lenses (40mm is great for portraits and overall Cooke is high end all the way) Even some their Kinetal line which was meant for 16mm format covers m4/3 sensor, but make sure you go with Kinetal 50mm f1.8 and up. (50mm is very sharp lenses)
Kinoptik goes without saying... thier 25mm will do great. One of my favorite lens, along with 50, 75, 100 and 150mm.
Switar is another great one, 26mm is magical, so is 50, 75 etc... Zeiss glass, Swiss assembly and parts...
All cover sensor just fine, some (like Kinoptik, Cooke and others) will cover the FF sensor. I modified Kinoptik 75mm for my D3, ''great success''... :salute:

Yes some lenses I mentioned above are Arri mount, but still many of them came in C-mount version. So its not about the mount per say, its more about a particular lens.

So when you make statements like in your second post, it makes me a little sick in my stomach... I start shacking... and hysterically checking Image Circle on all my lenses... :)

Thank you

O

OzRay

Unfortunately, if you need 10mm FOV and small size there is only one option - Panasonic 7-14mm (great lens btw)
The widest lens I have that covers the sensor completely and tiny in size is Angenieux 14mm f3.5 in Arri mount. (great company, their lenses are top notch)
You can get 18, 25, 32, 40mm and up Cooke Panchro lenses (40mm is great for portraits and overall Cooke is high end all the way) Even some their Kinetal line which was meant for 16mm format covers m4/3 sensor, but make sure you go with Kinetal 50mm f1.8 and up. (50mm is very sharp lenses)
Kinoptik goes without saying... thier 25mm will do great. One of my favorite lens, along with 50, 75, 100 and 150mm.
Switar is another great one, 26mm is magical, so is 50, 75 etc... Zeiss glass, Swiss assembly and parts...
All cover sensor just fine, some (like Kinoptik, Cooke and others) will cover the FF sensor. I modified Kinoptik 75mm for my D3, ''great success''... :salute:

Yes some lenses I mentioned above are Arri mount, but still many of them came in C-mount version. So its not about the mount per say, its more about a particular lens.

So when you make statements like in your second post, it makes me a little sick in my stomach... I start shacking... and hysterically checking Image Circle on all my lenses... :)

Thank you
I can't say that I 'need' a 10mm (20mm equivalent), but I was looking for something around that FL, even 22-24mm would have been OK, but I did want something of a small(ish) size. I've already got a CV 15mm f4.5, 28mm f2 and 50mm f1.1 and may get the 75mm f2.5 (when it comes out in the M mount).

Granted, my comment about suitability was fairly broad, but just about every source of information I could find indicated that C mount lenses just couldn't 'effectively' fill the sensor area. This is just one example of the many references I found (it obviously doesn't cover every possibilty, but it's pretty extensive):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=32742241

I already have the Olympus 7-14mm, which I have used on the Pen, so I don't really need/want another, even though the Panny lens is a lot smaller.

Cheers

Ray

Photomorgana

I can't say that I 'need' a 10mm (20mm equivalent), but I was looking for something around that FL, even 22-24mm would have been OK, but I did want something of a small(ish) size. I've already got a CV 15mm f4.5, 28mm f2 and 50mm f1.1 and may get the 75mm f2.5 (when it comes out in the M mount).

Granted, my comment about suitability was fairly broad, but just about every source of information I could find indicated that C mount lenses just couldn't 'effectively' fill the sensor area. This is just one example of the many references I found (it obviously doesn't cover every possibilty, but it's pretty extensive):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=32742241

I already have the Olympus 7-14mm, which I have used on the Pen, so I don't really need/want another, even though the Panny lens is a lot smaller.

Cheers

Ray

I understand, so you probably should have stated that ''there are no c-mount lenses in 10mm to 12mm FOV that cover sensor''. But generalizing all c-mounts is a little harsh, and even your link shows plenty of c-mount lenses cover just fine. Plus switching ratio to 16:9 will solve coverage problems for many lenses.

Thank you.

O

OzRay

I understand, so you probably should have stated that ''there are no c-mount lenses in 10mm to 12mm FOV that cover sensor''. But generalizing all c-mounts is a little harsh, and even your link shows plenty of c-mount lenses cover just fine. Plus switching ratio to 16:9 will solve coverage problems for many lenses.

Thank you.
I was potentially interested in other lenses as well, since many are selling so cheaply, but it's too much hassle keeping up with what works and what doesn't. Also, shooting at 16:9 is too much of a kludge for me.

Cheers

Ray

Photomorgana

I was potentially interested in other lenses as well, since many are selling so cheaply, but it's too much hassle keeping up with what works and what doesn't. Also, shooting at 16:9 is too much of a kludge for me.

Cheers

Ray
Looking at your site (nice pictures btw) it does looks like you familiar with PP software, so cropping should not be too difficult of a task.

When I hear that doing a research about a lens or a camera or testing a lens is a hassle, I usually say to that person that maybe you should stick to what you have. :rolleyes:

I guess using Leica-R on Canon 5D is also a huge hassle, since you need to know that not all lenses clear the mirror. Maybe you should go to Canon forum and tell them that Leica-R does not work with 5D.

Being lazy to do a research, please help, would be a better statement, that saying that lenses dont work.

R

retnull

Schneider Xenoplan 25mm f1.9 (C-mount) covers sensor fully. Sharp, crisp lens; to my eyes, it out-resolves the kit lens at center of image.

O

OzRay

Looking at your site (nice pictures btw) it does looks like you familiar with PP software, so cropping should not be too difficult of a task.

When I hear that doing a research about a lens or a camera or testing a lens is a hassle, I usually say to that person that maybe you should stick to what you have. :rolleyes:

I guess using Leica-R on Canon 5D is also a huge hassle, since you need to know that not all lenses clear the mirror. Maybe you should go to Canon forum and tell them that Leica-R does not work with 5D.

Being lazy to do a research, please help, would be a better statement, that saying that lenses dont work.
Thanks, PPing isn't foreign to me, nor cropping, but I often use the full size of the 4/3s sensor and so I don't want to be restricted with what I want to do because of the lenses.

I do a lot of research before I decide to do something or take a particular path and did so in this case (as demonstrated by one example of what I found), but I also appreciate first hand experience.

However, the Internet is often filled with garbage, as well as treasure, but there's usually a lot more garbage than treasure. And there's usually no end of garbage collectors as well, all willing to dispose of their collections.

Cheers

Ray

Photomorgana

Thanks, PPing isn't foreign to me, nor cropping, but I often use the full size of the 4/3s sensor and so I don't want to be restricted with what I want to do because of the lenses.

I do a lot of research before I decide to do something or take a particular path and did so in this case (as demonstrated by one example of what I found), but I also appreciate first hand experience.

However, the Internet is often filled with garbage, as well as treasure, but there's usually a lot more garbage than treasure. And there's usually no end of garbage collectors as well, all willing to dispose of their collections.

Cheers

Ray

I see, well if you want to eliminate hype, just make sure you stick to High End, proven brands, that professionals used and still use in movie making like Kinoptik, Cooke, Angenieux, Switar, I also like Ektar from Kodak end they are relatively cheap and easy to get. Dallmeyer and Hugo Meyer, I also like, but they deemed to be collectors items and tend to be a bit expensive.

Here I created an abbreviation for you so you can remember better.
The word is ''CAKES'' :) (cooke, angenieux, kinoptik, ektar, switar)

Hope you'll like your ''cakes'' :)

O

OzRay

Here I created an abbreviation for you so you can remember better.
The word is ''CAKES'' :) (cooke, angenieux, kinoptik, ektar, switar)

Hope you'll like your ''cakes'' :)
I just hope that I can have my CAKE, and eat it too. :D

Cheers

Ray