The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

B

BBSea

I have been experimenting with these types of images but I am doing them in a full 360x180 interactive panoramic format, click the links below and when the image finishes loading, click and drag with your mouse to rotate the image. You can look in all directions-

http://tinyurl.com/2ayyel7
http://tinyurl.com/ybt9x8o
http://tinyurl.com/23gj8hn

The above images were shot using the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 on my GF1. 58 shots are required to cover the full sphere. Any suggestions on lenses I could try on my GF1 that could get me a better "blur" to "focused" ratio at longer distances from my camera?

Michiel Schierbeek

This is fun BBSea!
In this case a lot of DOF, or at least not completly wide open, would be interesting too!
Suggestions on longer lenses depends a little on the adapters you might have, for example a Canon FD 50/1.4 could be nice or 35/2 or may be Olympus lenses in that range.
You have a good stiching program for this?
Thanks for posting, very interesting the childrens toy view to the world!

Michiel

B

BBSea

This is fun BBSea!
In this case a lot of DOF, or at least not completly wide open, would be interesting too!
Hi Michiel & thanks!

Yes, I have done thousands of "everything in focus" VR images (it is how I make my living). Thus, I have been exploring the "other end" of things like in the examples above.

Suggestions on longer lenses depends a little on the adapters you might have, for example a Canon FD 50/1.4 could be nice or 35/2 or may be Olympus lenses in that range.
Yes I have been looking at various fast 50mm for my GF1 for this purpose. It is tough to get an idea of exactly how much difference there would be from the Lumix 20mm as I have not been able to find any examples of shots comparing the 20mm lens with various others where the distance of subject to lens is exactly the same. As what is the case when I shoot these VR images. So, I would like to try to push my focus point a bit farther out (10 feet or so?) and still get a similar effect. I hope this makes sense?

You have a good stiching program for this?
Thanks for posting, very interesting the childrens toy view to the world!

Michiel
Yes, I also shoot "gigapan" images composed of hundreds of stitched photos, so if I need to shoot a few hundred to cover a sphere (like with a 50mm or so) I can handle that.

Yes, I am crazy maybe for wanting to do that. ;) But I just love the looks of these bokeh images so much, I want to work on extending it "all around" if you will. After all- never try, never do? :)

& you're welcome! I am glad you like the images.

V

Vivek

BBsea, I saw the first link. Nice. Though I am not used to seeing OOF blur when twirling the image. I am unsure if would be able watch these things more than the ones in focus.

On the fast lenses- there are plenty of possibilities.

25/0.95 SOM Berthiot/Angenieux 25/0.95 Type M2

Olympus Pen F 42/1.2

Olympus Pen F 60/1.5

Navitron 75/1.3

out of a very long list.

Last edited:

Leica 77

Looks very promising especially the first one. Would like to see a more traditional one with something in focus on the foreground.

Michiel
Hi Michiel,
Many thanks for your encouraging words! I hope the following images are a bit more traditional than the previously posted images. G1 + ISCO GOTTINGEN WESTROMAT 50/f1,9. Aperture: @f1,9. Best, Leica 77. :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Michiel,
Many thanks for your encouraging words! I hope the following images are a bit more traditional than the previously posted images. G1 + ISCO GOTTINGEN WESTROMAT 50/f1,9. Aperture: @f1,9. Best, Leica 77. :)
Leica - these images are really good. I'm glad I ordered this lens and can't wait to try it with the tilt adapter :thumbs:

Keith

Leica 77

Leica - these images are really good. I'm glad I ordered this lens and can't wait to try it with the tilt adapter :thumbs:

Keith
Hi Keith,
Many thanks for your kind comments. These are just test shots and I hope to get more out of the ISCO GOTTINGEN glass through further experimentation and practice. Best regards, Leica 77. :)

seakayaker

Hi Michiel,

Stunning! One of the best in the thread! . . . . . . love the bokeh in both of the shots.

I really think I need to find a ISCO GOTTINGEN WESTROMAT lens.

Life is Grand!

Dan!

~ ;)

seakayaker

WOW!

What an incredible run of wonderful bokeh photography!

Besides the individual photos that I quoted and commented on above, thanks to Mike, Rafeal, and Michiel for their great shots as well.

Thanks to all who continue to contribute!

Keith, when you started this thread in September, did you imagine it would still be running?

Lite Blue Flowers

GF1 with Ernst Leitz Wetziar - Hector 135mm f/4.5 -- ISO 100 -- f/4.5 -- 1/320 -- 135mm

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)