The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I redid "Mosque Bush" using the advice of Mike's (mregier) post - I put texture into it by merging a couple of photos together. I think it is a better image. In these OOF shots it does indeed help the eye to have something it can focus on.
Original "Mosque Bush" is in post 528

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
hi Keith,

I like this version much better. It really does help to have something for the eye to focus on. You might try playing with the blend modes on the texture. I sometimes come up with some nice accidents this way.

mike

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
hi Keith,

I like this version much better. It really does help to have something for the eye to focus on. You might try playing with the blend modes on the texture. I sometimes come up with some nice accidents this way.

mike
Thanks for providing the help to get me here, Mike.

I've only used the program for just the basic stuff, do you have any books, etc to recommend on this issue of working with multiple images in Photoshop?

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks for providing the help to get me here, Mike.

I've only used the program for just the basic stuff, do you have any books, etc to recommend on this issue of working with multiple images in Photoshop?

Keith
Keith,
Are you familiar with a site named http://www.chromasia.com
He does tutorials that are a fair price, and he actually did 2 tutorials on my work with textures that goes in depth in to my work with my examples and how I did it. Here is a more direct link. http://www.chromasia.com/tutorials/online/wwt1_info.php
It is a two part tutorial using my work and his work. However, if you don't want to get involved with that, just keep playing with different images and try different blend modes on the texture and opacity changes as well as masks to alter part of the textures. I sometimes use multiple textures on top of each other at different strengths. It's not uncommon to end up with 10 or more layers and huge files.
The chromasia tutorial would be better than a book. I don't make any money from this by the way, so I'm not trying to push his tutorials. He does do a great job of teaching though.
Hope this helps

mike

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith,
Are you familiar with a site named http://www.chromasia.com
He does tutorials that are a fair price, and he actually did 2 tutorials on my work with textures that goes in depth in to my work with my examples and how I did it. Here is a more direct link. http://www.chromasia.com/tutorials/online/wwt1_info.php
It is a two part tutorial using my work and his work. However, if you don't want to get involved with that, just keep playing with different images and try different blend modes on the texture and opacity changes as well as masks to alter part of the textures. I sometimes use multiple textures on top of each other at different strengths. It's not uncommon to end up with 10 or more layers and huge files.
The chromasia tutorial would be better than a book. I don't make any money from this by the way, so I'm not trying to push his tutorials. He does do a great job of teaching though.
Hope this helps

mike
Mike

Just what I needed - thank you!

Keith

m3photo

Re: Photoshop Layers

I confess I haven't read it as I'm more of a self-taught type but this one by Matt Kloskowski is well recommended:
Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature

m3photo

Re: Texture

I redid "Mosque Bush" using the advice of Mike's (mregier) post - I put texture into it by merging a couple of photos together. I think it is a better image. In these OOF shots it does indeed help the eye to have something it can focus on.
I'm very intrigued to know what steps you took to get texture from merging a couple of photos together, if I may be so bold as to pick your or M Regnier's brains on this (I really like his image in post #532).
I fully agree about helping the eye to catch focus on these OOF images, I have worked on many but I usually boost the Clarity slider up all the way, I haven't seen the texture effect done so well before.

Scratch that and thanks to M Regnier and his link.

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: Texture

I'm very intrigued to know what steps you took to get texture from merging a couple of photos together, if I may be so bold as to pick your or M Regnier's brains on this (I really like his image in post #532).
I fully agree about helping the eye to catch focus on these OOF images, I have worked on many but I usually boost the Clarity slider up all the way, I haven't seen the texture effect done so well before.

Scratch that and thanks to M Regnier and his link.
m3photo:

I loved the images on Mikes site, and figured that I had to do something with mine. You can only push clarity to the limit - then, you have to add the texture through another image.
I found a stock image site and down loaded a few "textures", then I blended the texture image with my original. Now, I know, that you know much more about photoshop than me, so it's over to you. But, of course, the devil is in the details. You can blend textures, create your own, or whatever - I'm enthralled with this stuff. The ultimate goal is to create the image you are looking for.

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Keith,

you can also start shooting textures and then combine the textures to make new textures, color,b&w etc. I make many variations of my textures. I also carry a camera all the time to shoot foregrounds,backgrounds,sky,textures etc.

mike

weaselboy

Finally got around to grabbing a couple of the better ones I've got. :D These are both taken with the stock Oly 14-42 and 40-150mm lenses (don't remember which is which, though, I'd have to double check. >.<)

I'm relatively new to photography (this is my first DSLR, an Oly E-620) and even newer to "bokehgraphs." So hopefully this is in-line with the thread. :D

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Finally got around to grabbing a couple of the better ones I've got. :D These are both taken with the stock Oly 14-42 and 40-150mm lenses (don't remember which is which, though, I'd have to double check. >.<)

I'm relatively new to photography (this is my first DSLR, an Oly E-620) and even newer to "bokehgraphs." So hopefully this is in-line with the thread. :D

Welcome to the thread Weaselboy - I especially like the background bokeh in this one

Keith