The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: Plexiglass

I'd love to see them!
Michiel, how will you put them together? I'm planning to exhibit using the plexiglass sandwich system but all the offers I've had here involve using
corner screws to hold the two plates together and I was looking for some way of doing it without any visible unions.
Keith and you, I believe, asked to show the prints I had made.
Finally got to take a shot of the two prints hanging on the wall (temporary).
Little difficult to do without running into window reflections, but this will give an idea.

Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Keith and you, I believe, asked to show the prints I had made.
Little difficult to do without running into window reflections, but this will give an idea.

Michiel
Michiel, those are stunning!

Did you print them yourself? The thing about bokehgraphs is that they are less sensitive to color management and maintaining resolution than in focus images. I would think they also lend themselves very well to canvas.

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you Keith.

No, I had it done by a professional printer. He makes a small complete sample and a 1:1 detail sample first. We did correct the colours after that. He explained, with the left one where red and blue touch each other, it always causes problems - you can see a sort of dark line in between those colours. I wanted smooth colour transitions.
Especially if you saturate the image too much. I had to bring saturasation down almost completly to get better results.

Personally I wouldn't like a canvas structure for these colour transitions. You would get rid of the reflection problems, though. But I am also a sort of fan of reflections. :)
May be a good idea for a fresh new thread, what do you think?
Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thank you Keith.

No, I had it done by a professional printer. He makes a small complete sample and a 1:1 detail sample first. We did correct the colours after that. He explained, with the left one where red and blue touch each other, it always causes problems - you can see a sort of dark line in between those colours. I wanted smooth colour transitions.
Especially if you saturate the image too much. I had to bring saturasation down almost completly to get better results.

Personally I wouldn't like a canvas structure for these colour transitions. You would get rid of the reflection problems, though. But I am also a sort of fan of reflections. :)
May be a good idea for a fresh new thread, what do you think?
Michiel
I think that is a wonderful idea. Mike gave us some stuff on how he prints, varnishes, and mounts his images - I found that fascinating.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
This one is called "Evita"

. . . and is a software bokehgraph :mad:

Taken from a bus in Buenes Aires in 2008 with a Canon G9

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

Made another one in the panorama serie from photo's token yesterday with the Canon FD 85/1.2 on the G1. It is the same spot from where I made of the panorama - Ballet of light -. This also made from 3 images. It works rather good when you use photographs from the same session. Same light, lens etc.
Something went wrong in the upper left image but that is another 15 minutes.
Do not have the time right now. :cry:

Michiel

- More lights -

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Made another one in the panorama serie from photo's token yesterday with the Canon FD 85/1.2 on the G1. It is the same spot from where I made of the panorama - Ballet of light -. This also made from 3 images. It works rather good when you use photographs from the same session. Same light, lens etc.
Something went wrong in the upper left image but that is another 15 minutes.
Do not have the time right now. :cry:

Michiel
Love the panorama, Michiel.

My software bokehgraph was done with Alien Skin Bokeh, a photoshop add-in. Easy to use and effective with a database of lenses some of which I will never be able to buy (because of my wive :toocool:) "Evita" was a fairly sharp image, but I needed a way to focus on that famous balcony.

Since I'm following the threads on blending and bokehs I've been able to "rescue" many of my travel pictures that may have been taken in a rush, or in the rain, or on a bus.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Love the panorama, Michiel.

My software bokehgraph was done with Alien Skin Bokeh, a photoshop add-in. Easy to use and effective with a database of lenses some of which I will never be able to buy (because of my wive :toocool:) "Evita" was a fairly sharp image, but I needed a way to focus on that famous balcony.

Since I'm following the threads on blending and bokehs I've been able to "rescue" many of my travel pictures that may have been taken in a rush, or in the rain, or on a bus.

Keith
Michiel

I just tried FocalPoint 2 from Onone software, and it looks better.

Keith

A

Abbazz

Michiel

Wow, these prints look fantastic on your wall. Congratulations!

Here are a couple of flowers with the Olympus Pen 42/1.2 lens:

Cheers!

Abbazz

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Abbazz!

Did you move the camera while shooting or is this the actual bokeh?
Would like to see a sample without a busy foreground to better see how it renders.
I can see a little of it on the last photo on the left. It is a nice fast lens.

Michiel

A

Abbazz

Did you move the camera while shooting or is this the actual bokeh?
Would like to see a sample without a busy foreground to better see how it renders
I didn't move the camera, I only focused the lens in front of the subject (it's easy to do at it has a minimum focus of 0.35m). This tiny Olympus wonder is also much smaller and lighter than a lens designed for 35mm. Here it is mounted on my E-P1 -- the picture should be acceptable here, as it has a large out of focus area
:

You can find a few pictures taken with this lens on my Zenfolio gallery but the first 13 pictures were taken when the lens was still suffering from a bad case of element separation. The subsequent pictures where taken after applying my magical heat treatment. And sorry for the off-topic, guys

Cheers!

Abbazz

Michiel Schierbeek

I didn't move the camera, I only focused the lens in front of the subject (it's easy to do at it has a minimum focus of 0.35m). This tiny Olympus wonder is also much smaller and lighter than a lens designed for 35mm. Here it is mounted on my E-P1 -- the picture should be acceptable here, as it has a large out of focus area

You can find a few pictures taken with this lens on my Zenfolio gallery but the first 13 pictures were taken when the lens was still suffering from a bad case of element separation. The subsequent pictures where taken after applying my magical heat treatment. And sorry for the off-topic, guys

Cheers!

Abbazz
Those lenses look great and are a perfect match to your EP-1. Seen your Galerie, very nice. Thank you! Wow putting lenses in the oven :confused:
And it works!

One from last sunday G1 + Canon l 85/1.2

Michiel

- Take off -

Leica 77

:

Cheers!

Abbazz
Hi Abbazz,
It's a great shot! Your web gallery has beautiful bekehgraphs. I enjoyed visiting the site. All the best, Leica 77.