The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Orange Flower

GF1 with Voigtlander Color-Heliar 75mm f/2.5 -- ISO 100 -- f/2.5 -- 1/500 -- 75mm

. . . . . continue to enjoy this Voigtlander 75mm lens . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Dan, the colors in this photo are beautiful and the lens renders a beautiful bokeh.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Here is one that you asked for, Dan:
Columbine from my garden
EPL-1 and Leitz 75 Summilux f/1.4 (at f/2)

Cindy - the bokeh gives the flower petals a feeling of motion. The image is also very "painterly" :thumbs:
Notice you are using the EPL-1 - how do you like it?

Keith​

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy - the bokeh gives the flower petals a feeling of motion. The image is also very "painterly" :thumbs:
Notice you are using the EPL-1 - how do you like it?

Keith
Hi Keith,
Thank you. There was motion in the flowers. :(
I just got the EPL-1. So far, I like the interface much better than the E-P1 which I had. I really wanted a camera with IS in the body for using lenses like this Leica 75mm. I don't receive the viewfinder till Tuesday, so didn't use EPL-1 too much yet.
I am going to let my black G1 go now. I'll keep my G1 IR. I'll miss the articulating lcd for flower shooting, but having IS in the body is a big one for me.
Oly did a lot right with this body, but I would still be a lot happier if the EVF was integrated into the body like on the G1. The 1/2000 max shutter speed is a bummer, too.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,
Thank you. There was motion in the flowers. :(
I just got the EPL-1. So far, I like the interface much better than the E-P1 which I had. I really wanted a camera with IS in the body for using lenses like this Leica 75mm. I don't receive the viewfinder till Tuesday, so didn't use EPL-1 too much yet.
I am going to let my black G1 go now. I'll keep my G1 IR. I'll miss the articulating lcd for flower shooting, but having IS in the body is a big one for me.
Oly did a lot right with this body, but I would still be a lot happier if the EVF was integrated into the body like on the G1. The 1/2000 max shutter speed is a bummer, too.
If it's any consolation I think that after a while you will grow to love the external finder. I find myself picking up my E-P2 in preference to my G1.
I also like the way the EVF moves through 90 degrees, and use that feature a lot.

I agree with you that in body stabilization is very important for legacy lenses - I could not do without it.

Keith

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
If it's any consolation I think that after a while you will grow to love the external finder. I find myself picking up my E-P2 in preference to my G1.
I also like the way the EVF moves through 90 degrees, and use that feature a lot.

I agree with you that in body stabilization is very important for legacy lenses - I could not do without it.

Keith
I think this camera is going to be for me what I had hoped for the E-P1. I was coming from an E3 and loved the Oly "look", but just can't focus in the bright sun without a viewfinder.

Michiel Schierbeek

So many lovely images in such a short time!
Good to see you again with this nice plain composition Leica77
Also like the "soft mini jungle" from Dan very much.
And of course Cindy Rafael and Keith :thumbs:

On the meantime I go on with my project.

LAD Project Day #9
G1 + Zeiss Tessar 50/2.8

- Purple flower -

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, I love the subtle colors with just the tiniest pop of bright violet. Your composition is striking!
Thank you Cindy.
I found your conversation with Keith about your Oly cameras with IS very informative and I also think of this possibility sometimes.
What I am a little worried about is that these two Olympus cameras can't carry heavy lenses till a 1000 grams like the G1 can.
Well actually I don't know.
These cameras are somewhat smaller and I think for example a Canon FD 85/2would be to heavy (around 800 grams with adapter) and to big for these cameras.
Sometimes I like to use telelenses to and then you definitly want IS but the camera would be to small.

What do you think?

Michiel

f6cvalkyrie

So many lovely pics in this topic, congrats to all participants (easiest way not to forget anybody :D)

I shot this one yesterday morning in the garden of the horticultural school in our village !

Rafael's FLAD #10, G1 with Nikon 75-150/3.5 series E

C U tomorrow,
Rafael

seakayaker

Red Flower with Morning Glory making a climb . . . . .

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton Aspherical 50mm f/1.5 -- ISO 100 -- f/1.5 -- 1/1300 -- 50mm

Raf, your narcissis in the morning sun is stunning, sharp as a tack with a beautiful bokeh.

Michiel, the purple flower and blue iris are simply beautiful, soft and wonderful, with a unique bokeh produced by each lens. Not sure how long the LAD can last but I am enjoying the show.

It is really nice to see this thread continue with so many great shots. . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

leuallen

Just finished processing this and checked the forum before bed. Thought it has nice bokeh so posted.

Tokina 90mm 2.5 macro. G1

Larry

abry

Some super photos here. Belated thanks to Keith, Michiel, Dan and Leica77 for the comment on my own contribution.
As far as the lenses go in some of the more recent shots, I like the look of Michiel's OM 35/2.8 plus adapter.
Interested to see a shot from Rafael with the Nikon Series E 75-150mm. I recently bought one of these cheaply. I have found it a pleasure to use on a G1 and pin sharp.
Alan

Leica 77

"Macaca fascicularis". GF1 + 20mm. A change of pace from flora to fauna. From a recent travel to the Indonesian Archipelago. :)