The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

Leica 77

Today, I received a parcel containing a Kodak Retina Reflex S and two lenses.
A Schneider Kreuznach Retina Xenar 50/2.8 and a SK Retina Tele-Xenar, of which I already own a copy, and that will go to sales.

I couldn't wait to put it under the Christmas tree, so I just picked the Xenar 50/2.8 and run around in the garden to test it.

Here's two pics that show the bokeh :

These lenses are in the less known DKL mount. I have a few more coming this way for the holidays, so stay tuned for more :D

C U,
Rafael
Hi Rafael,

I love your bokehgraphs, especially the first one with quite subtle bokeh. With your new Christmas presents, we expect to see more of your beautiful images. Best wishes for the Festive Season! :)

kds315

Guys, I see a lot of good shot - productive pre Christmas!! Well done!!

Russian glass is nice, I have the Helios 40-2 f1.5 75mm, great but way too heavy and then the Zeiss Jena Biotar f1.5 / 75mm - a simple wonderful lens (mine is the slim version, the best IMHO), swirly and bokehlicious!

Leica 77

Here is a test shot using my newly acquired early Christmas present -- Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 7,5cm f1,5. I was lucky to find an Exakta -> micro 4/3 lens adapter for this lens. :)

Leica 77

Hi Doc Klaus,
It's always nice to read your comments in this thread. Here is one more test shot with the Carl Zeiss Jena 7,5cm f1,5 glass. I still have to get used to this wonderful lens through lots of practice. One amazing attribute of this lens is that it has 18 iris blades, thus being capable of creating a circular lens opening continuously from f1.5 to f22. :)

OlliL

25mm f1.4 ebay lens, to be precise :D

Your latest additions to this thread were all great.
I especially like the last one. You did a great job with the colours there. :thumbup:

kds315

"Santa is on his way to our town ...". G1 + Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 7,5cm f1,5. :)

Yes, a great lens and obviously came into very capable hands!! Do you have the "fat" or "slim" version?

@Olli: nicely done!

@Raf: very nice lenses the Xenars, you'll see soon. Very sharp and sometimes a bit harsh/noisy bokeh.

Leica 77

Hi Doc Klaus and Oliver,
Thanks so much for your positive and kind comments. The Carl Zeiss Jena 7,5mm lens I recently purchased is the slim one. Oliver, your fast 25mm f1.4 lens must be a fun lens to use. Best wishes to both of you for the Holiday Season! :)

JGH

Hi All,

Noticed some strange and interesting colours whilst helping my wife wrap some pressies with Hologromatic wrapping paper, so i swiped a peice and scuttled off to photograph it

ISO 800 1/10sec F5.6 35mm

ISO 800 1/5sec F5.6 -0.3EV 35mm

Happy Christmas to everyone & hope you get some new camera bits for xmas.

J. :salute:

Tesselator

These are massively scaled down. There's a lot of missing detail in these shots. Here's a little GIF anim. that shows it from scaled to the 100% crop size:

All of the above are RAW without any processing BTW - straight conversions to JPeg. All Hand-held too. ;) Hand-holding at 4:1 is a major task!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi All,

Noticed some strange and interesting colours whilst helping my wife wrap some pressies with Hologromatic wrapping paper, so i swiped a peice and scuttled off to photograph it

ISO 800 1/10sec F5.6 35mm

ISO 800 1/5sec F5.6 -0.3EV 35mm

Happy Christmas to everyone & hope you get some new camera bits for xmas.

J. :salute:
JGH

Very festive bokehgraphs, I love them

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Happy holiday season to bokehgraphers across the world :salute::salute::salute:

Thank you for all of the beautiful images displayed over the past year. I look forward to seeing them each day. I've learned so much - and bought so much :eek: The lens factor in our photos is perhaps one of the most interesting, and we see more lenses in action in this thread than any other. Most of them are classics that would be dead and gone without people like you. But, there are new lenses too that everyone are eager to see. Let's keep up the momentum thoughout next year.

Thanks to the believers, the stalwarts, the trail-blazers, the innovators, and the new-comers. There is still much to do, and much to explore.

Regards to everyone

Keith

Leica 77

Happy holiday season to bokehgraphers across the world :salute::salute::salute:

Thank you for all of the beautiful images displayed over the past year. I look forward to seeing them each day. I've learned so much - and bought so much :eek: The lens factor in our photos is perhaps one of the most interesting, and we see more lenses in action in this thread than any other. Most of them are classics that would be dead and gone without people like you. But, there are new lenses too that everyone are eager to see. Let's keep up the momentum thoughout next year.

Thanks to the believers, the stalwarts, the trail-blazers, the innovators, and the new-comers. There is still much to do, and much to explore.

Regards to everyone

Keith

Hi Keith,
Season's Greetings! Thanks so much for your lovely message. Your stellar leadership has made this Bokeh thread one of the most dynamic meeting places within this Forum. Just over the past 5 days, excellent contributions have been submitted to the present thread from bokeh enthusiasts from many parts of the world. Those who have recently contributed their bokehgraphs include: Keith, Michiel, Rafael, Dan, Tesselator, Friedel, JGH, hakkalo, Doc Klaus, Oliver, PeterB666, vadatax, Winkel, Klythawk, jkung, Rimasson, ... What I see is a healthy and friendly growth of the number of bokeh enthusiasts. Looking at the future, as you say, we still have much to do and we shall explore more. Best wishes to everyone for the Holiday Season! :)