The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

f6cvalkyrie

Thanks, Keith and Michiel !

And a very nice window, Keith, is that a 3x3 pano shot on film ???

Michiel, the "Panalympus" is nothing else than a 45-200 Pana lens with an Olympus B300 1.7x focal length multiplyer in front. I use it for birding, the advantage being that you get a 340 mm lens while maintaining autofocus and image stabilisation. It is also a cheap accessory in comparaison with the real thing (100-300mm Pana lens)

Have a nice weekend,
Rafael

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Keith and Michiel !

And a very nice window, Keith, is that a 3x3 pano shot on film ???

. . .
Have a nice weekend,
Rafael
No Raf, it is a cheat with just an overlay. I have used it a bit to put some interest into an image. Here I liked the idea of looking at a window through a window

kds315

Just a quick hello, and congrats to the new entries. I am very busy doing other stuff, including "such stuff":

That one made it to the last 10 in the ongoing Zeiss contest "Light is my Language" and your support would be highly appreciated by making it your favorite on flickr here.

kds315

Indeed Leica, that bw Biotar shot is great esp. the overlying bokehs, forming interesting patterns!!

f6cvalkyrie

Hi all,

a new lens found it's way to my home !
It's a Dreamagon 90/4.0, manufactured by the German manufacturer Seibold in a very limited series, in the 90's. Mine has SN 0239.

Unfortunately, the sky is very dull and dark (we have smog alert and traffic restrictions here in Brussels), but still, I couldn't sit and wait.

So, here's the first Dreamagon shot :D

Have a nice day,
Rafael

seakayaker

Lovely portrait bokehgraph, DHart.

I love the composition and that complex but smooth bokeh

Keith

++1! Wonderful shot!

. . . . . last time we communicated you were sitting on the fence about keeping the Zeiss 85/1.4 due to weight and size. Do you find it a good fit for both your GF1 and GH2.

Thanks, Dan

DHart

Keith and Dan... Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you appreciate the image!

Dan, thank you again for your guidance on helping me zero in on legacy lenses. The weight of this lens is substantial for sure, but I find it is within the ability of the GH2 lens mount to suport it fully on a tripod. My use with it will be mostly hand held, where of course my hand is supporting the lens as much or more than the body itself, so no problems with this lens weight either way. I actually like the weight of the lens as it makes the whole rig more stable in my hands.

I have used the Planar 85/1.4 just a little bit so far, but already I know that Zeiss is a good choice. The focus mechanism in these lenses is perfect for manual use, something that some other legacy lenses don't do as well with. The damping is pretty heavy, making it more difficult for the focus ring to shift inadvertently on you after achieving critical focus.

I bought a Canon FD legacy manual lens that the focus ring is so light and sensitive on that I am going to sell it for that reason alone. Any tiny touch on the focusing ring changes the focus, practically breathing on the focus ring changes focus. This is where the Zeiss and Voigtlander manual lenses shine over some of the other options.

IQ is great, especially stopped down to f/2 to f/5.6. Generally, though, I bought this lens specifically for achieving a painterly look with portraits, so I will probably use it mostly at f1.4 even though the lens is not at it's sharpest there... Actually, that makes it even more suitable for an artsy, more painterly look and maximizes the rich bokeh. I'm really glad I went with the Planar 85/1.4!

And once again, Dan, you were so helpful and patient in answering all of my questions... I very much appreciate your help on that. The three legacy lenses that I have settled in on are Planar 85/1.4, Planar 50/1.4, and Voigtlander 35/1.2 Aspherical, all to be used primarily for shallow DOF, painterly portrait work. This little GH2 rig may actually displace the use of my 5DMkII and 70-200 f/2.8L... A little bit anyway. ;)