The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

V

Vivek

Anyone have a Kilfitt Makro-Kilar 90/2.8? That is the most unique bokeh I've ever seen.
Do you have any samples to show what you say?

Despite its exotic name, it is only a copy of the Zeiss Tessar. The 90/2.8 would cover >60mm. The center of an image projected by a Tessar is always very sharp.

JerryMK

A shot with my new GH2 ;) and Kern Switar 50mm f1.4 Macro.
Needed to do some pp because this is a very low light indoor shot.

GH2 Kern Switar 50mm f1.4 Macro

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Yes - happy holidays to bokeh people everywhere. Nice to see you again, Jerry.

Here is a piano (Jupiter 9 85/2, don't ask which camera :cool:)

Keith

J

johnson-stevie

In this digital photography tutorial I discuss the technique of isolating the subject matter of your photograph using the focusing technique of bokeh. Bokeh is a Japanese word that roughly translates as the aesthetic quality of the blur. The technique uses depth of field to isolate a subject against a background that is out of focus. The subject matter is in sharp focus thereby emphasizing the subject while hinting at a sense of place without specificity.

I often use this technique while photographing out of doors, especially when I want to isolate a flower or plant in an otherwise cluttered environment. Because I want to ‘see’ the subject as the main piece of the photograph, I use any one of several approaches available to me to capture the essence of the subject.
Using Macro Rings

One technique is to extend the placement of the lens relative to the image capture medium using extension tubes. The effect created by extending the lens relative to the ‘film’ is to absolutely isolate the subject against an otherwise blurred background while magnifying the subject to reveal hidden detail. I find using extension tubes and a long lens is ideal for picking up nuanced detail in the interior of flowers, when photographing insects (when they agree to sit still for you) and other subjects where exploded and enlarged detail provides a visual impact that is otherwise missing.

When using macro rings, a tripod is an absolute requirement. The front of the lens is place quite close to the subject and your ability to hand hold the camera, focus and shoot is close to impossible. The steady nature of the tripod allows you to do all that is required to make a powerful, engaging image.

kweide

May i have a little lamp ...
Just fooling around with that little gem

Olympus E-P3 + Zuiko 45 f1.8, noNR
ISO400 @ f1.8, 1/25 second, 45 mm focal length​

Brian S

Yesterday I did some lens hacking, took a Wollensak 35/2 Raptar in Fastax mount and converted it to Contax RF mount using a J-12. Needed to bore out the threads a little, and set the Raptar to agree with the Contax RF. So- fast 35mm lens in Contax mount that can be used in a IIa and a IIIa.

Used an Amedeo adapter and M-mu43 to try it out on the EP2.

This lens reminds me of a Canon 35/2 in Leica Mount.

At F2:

At F4:

Now I need to look for a J-12 in LTM to convert the other Raptar that i have.