The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G1 warranty service question

RonSmith

My now four-month old G1 suddenly developed a loose left strap lug. I'm concerned that it might work its way out completely and cause the camera to fall.

In addition, some of the rubbery cover has peeled away from the lower LCD hinge. This doesn't bother me that much, but if I'm going to be sending it in for service anyways, I might as well have them address this too.

I have sent off an e-mail to Panasonic, but would appreciate any feedback on how you folks have gone about sending a G1 in for service and what Panasonic's service has done for you ... and how long they took to do it.

Thanks very much!

Diane B

There were several at dpreview that had to use US warranty service. They had excellent luck--quick service. You might ask there or search if you don't find anyone here that has had to send theirs in.

Diane

RonSmith

There were several at dpreview that had to use US warranty service. They had excellent luck--quick service. You might ask there or search if you don't find anyone here that has had to send theirs in.

Diane
Thanks Diane. I did post at DPR also (where I am RS2), but no one has responded yet.

RonSmith

UPDATE:

My G1 has finally come back from the Elk Grove service center, with a tightened strap lug and a new lower hinge cover on the back to replace the one from which the rubber was peeling.

Now ... where's my GF1? :toocool:

RonSmith

UPDATE, Part Two

The lugs on my G1 were still lose when it came back from service in October. With my one-year warranty running out in May, I contacted them about getting it repaired again. I got a prompt e-mail response with instructions to send it in to the repair facility in Elgin, IL, which I did on April 6.

It just arrived today (April 28). The invoice states that they replaced the "Strap Holders" on each side, and a little handwritten sticky note on the back of the camera says "New strap clips have a little movement in the them. Totally normal."

Hopefully, the lugs stay put this time.

monza

Ron, we sent a GH1 to Panny. One of the lugs had actually fallen out. They repaired it but it was still loose. We now fix the lugs in-house.