The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rough hierarchy of C-mount lenses?

madmaxmedia

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a G1 and have been avidly reading about various lens mounts that can be adapted for it. In particular the C-mount is really interesting to me- small lenses that keep the G1 compact, fast to superfast apertures, and interesting rendering that I think is great for certain photos. Also the low prices that (sometimes) can be had...

I have read all about various lenses here, Flickr, etc. and seen many examples. I see the same names everywhere- Wollensak, Kodak, SOM, Angenieux, etc. (I have downloaded the compatibility spreadsheet too!)

What I'm wondering about, is if there is a general hierarchy of these different C-mount manufacturers. I understand companies may make better or cheaper lenses, etc. But do any particular brands stand out (in good or bad way)? Or does it mainly just depend on the particular model?

My second question is this- I just bought a Lytar 25mm f/1.9 on EBay. Are all Lytar C-mount lenses made by SOM? The one I bought looks just like other photos of SOM Lytar lenses, but I just wanted to be sure. I was hoping to snag a f/1.5 but prices are high on EBay so I'll just hope to get really lucky sometime at a thrift shop, etc. (I got this Lytar for $40- I think that's a good deal? Cosmetically it looked practically brand new in the photos.)

Thanks!!
Steve

V

Vivek

But do any particular brands stand out (in good or bad way)?
AFAIC, my answer is NO.

Or does it mainly just depend on the particular model?
Yes.

When I went to pick up a SOM-Berthiot 25/0.95, i got a Computar-TV 25/1.3 (in exchange for a 42 to 39 adapter ring which cost me 5 Euros).

The TV lens is the most used in my small arsenal of used lenses. Since it was cheap and accessible, I could get a back up as well.

I have not seen another SOM-Berthiot like my sample again and not that I would need a second sample of that either.

Leica Summilux 75/1.4 or Navitar 75/1.3 TV lens?

Any guesses? ;)

Hacker

I have read all about various lenses here, Flickr, etc. and seen many examples. I see the same names everywhere- Wollensak, Kodak, SOM, Angenieux, etc. (I have downloaded the compatibility spreadsheet too!)

What I'm wondering about, is if there is a general hierarchy of these different C-mount manufacturers. I understand companies may make better or cheaper lenses, etc. But do any particular brands stand out (in good or bad way)? Or does it mainly just depend on the particular model?

Thanks!!
Steve
Like all manufacturers, I would think there is a definite hierarchy. One that stands out is the Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 25mm f/1.4. Last version of the Xenon series and the best. Made with very heavy glass and brass. Fully corrected in the visible spectral range of 400-850nm. It would fall in the Tier 1 category together with a few others.

madmaxmedia

Thanks guys. I guess another factor is that the amount of edge smear will likely have little correlation with the quality of the lens, since it is only a factor with a digital sensor and not with the original intended use of the lens.

Of course, I think a little smear adds to the look of these lenses.

RichA

Thanks guys. I guess another factor is that the amount of edge smear will likely have little correlation with the quality of the lens, since it is only a factor with a digital sensor and not with the original intended use of the lens.

Of course, I think a little smear adds to the look of these lenses.
Only if you are shooting things that are only important centrally, like a portrait. For anything else, you need edge definition.