The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

wide on the G1

pellicle

Hi

lenses which cover wide on the G1 are not so many, to me there is the Oly 9-18 and the Panasonic 7-14

I've got the 9 so I thought I'd do a little compare of size with the 7-14 and write a brief review of the 9-18 on my blog

here.

photoSmart42

Nice article, but I'm confused about this statement:

"Essentially a wide lens such as a 24mm on a Full Frame system is a 12mm on a 4/3rds."

Isn't it the other way around? A 24mm on a full-frame 35mm camera becomes 48mm on the m4/3? That's why the 7-14 lens (35mm equivalent) gives you 14-28 on the G1, a 90mm lens (35mm equivalent) gives us 180mm on the G1, etc., etc. Please forgive my ignorance if I'm mistaken.

RonSmith

"Essentially a wide lens such as a 24mm on a Full Frame system is a 12mm on a 4/3rds."

Isn't it the other way around? A 24mm on a full-frame 35mm camera becomes 48mm on the m4/3? That's why the 7-14 lens (35mm equivalent) gives you 14-28 on the G1, a 90mm lens (35mm equivalent) gives us 180mm on the G1, etc., etc. Please forgive my ignorance if I'm mistaken.
You're correct.

The sentence should more accurately say that a 12mm on a 4/3 gives the field of view that a 24mm does on a full 35mm frame camera.

pellicle

Hi

I see the issue, what I am saying is that a 24mm on a Full Frame system equals a 12mm on a 4/3rds (or needs) on a 4/3rds system.

I get frustrated with people's never ending attempts on this issue because I come from using several formats (Large, 120 6x9 and 35mm) so I think about angle of view (lens and format)

How about:

"Essentially when you want a wide lens such as a 24mm on a Full Frame system you neet to use a 12mm on a 4/3rds."