Site Sponsors

Thread: wide on the G1

Post Thanks / Like

wide on the G1

Hi

lenses which cover wide on the G1 are not so many, to me there is the Oly 9-18 and the Panasonic 7-14

I've got the 9 so I thought I'd do a little compare of size with the 7-14 and write a brief review of the 9-18 on my blog

here.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wide on the G1

Nice article, but I'm confused about this statement:

"Essentially a wide lens such as a 24mm on a Full Frame system is a 12mm on a 4/3rds."

Isn't it the other way around? A 24mm on a full-frame 35mm camera becomes 48mm on the m4/3? That's why the 7-14 lens (35mm equivalent) gives you 14-28 on the G1, a 90mm lens (35mm equivalent) gives us 180mm on the G1, etc., etc. Please forgive my ignorance if I'm mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post

"Essentially a wide lens such as a 24mm on a Full Frame system is a 12mm on a 4/3rds."

Isn't it the other way around? A 24mm on a full-frame 35mm camera becomes 48mm on the m4/3? That's why the 7-14 lens (35mm equivalent) gives you 14-28 on the G1, a 90mm lens (35mm equivalent) gives us 180mm on the G1, etc., etc. Please forgive my ignorance if I'm mistaken.
    You're correct.

The sentence should more accurately say that a 12mm on a 4/3 gives the field of view that a 24mm does on a full 35mm frame camera.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post

I see the issue, what I am saying is that a 24mm on a Full Frame system equals a 12mm on a 4/3rds (or needs) on a 4/3rds system.

I get frustrated with people's never ending attempts on this issue because I come from using several formats (Large, 120 6x9 and 35mm) so I think about angle of view (lens and format)

How about:

"Essentially when you want a wide lens such as a 24mm on a Full Frame system you neet to use a 12mm on a 4/3rds."

Post Thanks / Like

Ok ... made a few changes ... that should clear up that point.

thanks for the feedback