The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 and Kites over Washington

bavanor

Wednesday, after the all the leica announcements I was feeling a little down about not being able to afford a M9. But, then I got a call from my wife, "Hey you should come on over to Gas Work Parks, (in Seattle, WA) there are all these kites going up for some art installation".

So I grabbed my camera bag, drove over there and proceeded to take all these photos, with no thought of the M9 at all. I had a blast and all of a sudden my envy of not being able to get a M9 went away.

Here are a few of the photos taken with the panasonic 14-45mm lens m4/3's lens and olympus 50mm zuiko macro lens with the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter.

I personally think that the B&W work a little better but a couple of the colors photos work too.

JBurnett

These are cool. I'm partial to the B&W and the 2nd and last two are my favorites.
I agree completely. Good eye.

RE M9: When I was selling off my Canon equipment I received some pretty strong compliments about a couple of 12 x 18" prints of mine, from two photographers who had full-frame Canons DSLR's, and a raft of L lenses. Interestingly, the pictures that drew their attention had been made with my 6MP Digital Rebel and a $150 Sigma tele-zoom. Now, I'm not saying that my DRebel or G1 is the equal of a 5D MKII or Leica M9, nor that I'm any great shakes as a photographer. But it sure isn't about the equipment alone.

bavanor

Thank you Terry and JBurnett. I do agree about equipment, sometimes it doesn't matter, but sometimes it does, but what is most important is to get out there and use them:thumbup: I had so much fun photographing this event and i am very happy with the results and that is what is most important for me.

Now to only get the 7-14mm lens and play with that sometime here in the future.

V

Vivek

I did not see this before. :eek:

Love the #2. (A teeny bit muted, it looks like. Easily correctable if you decide against it)

Just fabulous placement of the kite,the sky, etc. :)

cjlacz

I love the last one in particular. Looks like some giant creatures and a great contrast to the people. Both size and color.

bavanor

Thanks everybody, the comments are appreciated. What was so fun about shooting this event was how fluid the scenes changed. Everything was different from second to second as the wind moved the kites around and the people moved on the hill in the park.

In the photos above: #1 I like the position of the boat in the foreground. But #2 the kite is more dynamic. That is just is a sample of how the scenes changed quickly.

Here are a couple more.

M

meilicke

Very nice Aaron. As a kite flyer who used to fly at gasworks, I am bumbed to have missed this!

Scott

bavanor

Hi Meilicke,

It was pretty spectacular to see at Gas Work Park. But as you must know, they were having problems getting all of the kites up in the air. Gas Works is fickle that way sometimes.