The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Firmware E-P1

PeterB666

I have just updated the firmware of my E-P1 and 14-42 zoom lens. There is a definite improvement but autofocus still isn't anything exceptional. I have only tried average indoor night lighting and poor indoor lighting. This is how it fares...

C-AF now works indoors in average indoor night lighting at both ends of the zoom. Previously I couldn't get C-AF to work indoors in average lighting at all. It is quite klutzy compared to my old Sony DSC-V3 so won't be using it (whereas I used C-AF from the hybrid AF system in the Sony most of the time). Not really an issue for me. The C-AF is quite crude and you could not use C-AF for tracking or in the movie mode.

S-AF seems to be around 1/3rd faster. Still not lightening fast but the improvement is noticeable. I tested the focus times in average indoor lighting to be around 1.1 to 1.3 seconds before upgrade and around 0.7 to 0.8s after upgrade. Considering the light level, this is adequate for me. The camera will now focus in average indoor lighting levels at the f/5.6 end of the zoom. It did not do this before.

In poor lighting (meter ISO400, 1/2.5s to 1/3s and f/3.5) can now achieve focus in around 1s in S-AF. I could not focus with this level of light before. C-AF will even work in this mode but you wouldn't want to use it.

This is a big improvement and you would have to wonder why they shipped the camera as it was before.

I haven’t tried it in normal lighting levels but my guess is there wouldn’t be much improvement. I think the bottom line is that the AF motors in the Olympus lenses are not the speediest.

I also tried it with my Panasonic 45-200 zoom at the wide end (f/4) and while I didn’t test this before, it may be marginally faster but there isn’t much in it. I can focus in both average indoor lighting and the poor lighting level as described above. In the higher lighting level, I can also focus at the f/5.6 end of the zoom which I could not do before. It is quite weird using the Panasonic zoom which is silent as I also use the noise of the Olympus lens as my focus confirmation.

It is a worthwhile upgrade and I recommend you do it for both camera and the Olympus lenses.

barjohn

I still haven't been able to get it to work. I am now going to try it on a different computer. I have registered so many times it is crazy. It just doesn't make any sense as to why I keep getting the results shown above.

barjohn

It is working fine on another computer. Not sure why it likes my Macbook Air and doesn't like my iMac 24.

Terry

Some people are now saying that the shutter half press is faster than the AEL button for focus. I really don't think so. Here is another video:

First up E-P1 with Mode 3 AEL lock and 14-42 lens
Second E-P1 with Mode 1 shutter half press 14-42 lens
Third E-P1 with Panasonic 14-140 lens begins at 45 second mark
Fourth GH1 with Oly 14-42 lens
Fifth GH1 with Panny 14-140 lens begins at 1:26 mark

http://gallery.me.com/tbanet#100055

Brian Mosley

Well, it's a start - at least heading in the right direction... if it stops the incessant bashing then it will have been worth it :sleep006:

The bottleneck for CDAF speed is mainly in the lenses - Panasonic use smooth, silent wave type motors (apart from the 20mm f1.7 which may use something a bit slower/noisier) for focusing in their Lumix lenses... and it shows!

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Here's what I got as a personal firmware update...no one else got this....

I have to bend down like I'm tying my shoes.....staying very discreet on the street....
I then extend the official Olympus Tape Measure/focus scale out to 30' (sorry, they have it in feet only and not in meters)...but a future firmware will be a meters tape...

then lock the official tape measure and discreetly stand up...gaze around to my subject...staying very discreet so as not to let them know I am a photographer....

The official Olympus E-P1 Streetshooter's bag will look like a carpenters apron with a pocket for the tape and the camera..it will even hold an extra lens...
Now, your subjects will think you are not a photographer and will not pay attention to you....

You then gaze to the tape measure and read the color coded markings to set your focus distance.....

This is a great firmware update for me....By the way, the official Olympus Focus Scale Tape Measure and combo bag will not work with any other camera system....

Now that the AF works so much better...it really does, I think I can just focus on the tape and not have to use manual focus....

that's a great advantage.....

Thanks Olympus.........ya really made my day.......Shooter

barjohn

Terry,

Since you seem to have all of the stuff is there any difference in focus speed when using the Panny lens on the the E-P1 versus the Oly lenses? I can see an improvement on the 17mm Oly but it still doesn't seem to match what I have seen on the G1. Comments please?

Terry

Panny lenses are still faster than Oly lenses. Panny AF is still faster than Oly.

You can see it in the second video. See the post above with the timings of when the certain clips start.

In that video you have the Pen with the 14-140 and the GH1 with the same lens. You can also see the GH1 with the 14-42.

My take.
The Pen with the 14-140 is the fastest Pen/lens combo.
The Pen with the 14-140 seems to be the same speed as the GH1 with the Oly 14-42
The Pen with the 14-42 is slower than the GH1 with the 14-42
The GH1 with the 14-140 is still by a decently large margin the fastest

This is by sight/feel. We will have to see if DPReview re tests it with the new firmware.

Last edited:

barjohn

Thanks Terry. Good to know. I was trying some shots this evening with the Penn and it is still too slow except when you are taking slow deliberate shots.

PeterB666

Panasonic use smooth, silent wave type motors (apart from the 20mm f1.7 which may use something a bit slower/noisier) for focusing in their Lumix lenses
Brian
I hope the 20mm f/1.7 isn't any slower as I intend to get one. I don't mind a little noise as I don't use the movie mode and if I did, would almost certainly stick to MF.

retow

The pen is also noticably faster with the Panny 14-45 than with the 14-42.
I.e. pen with pancake and panny 14-45 seems to be the fastest pen combo.
Except for jpeg IQ (color) and looks, Oly seems to have missed so many low hanging fruit with the pen, including the wobbly kit zoom with no hood and easy filter mount solution.

kweide

Did the update. Body and lens and YES it is faster !!
Even in low light it finds its focus. Well, it is not blazing fast, but noticably faster than before. It is a step in the right direction.

R

rover

Are you guys seeing results using multiple focus points as well as just the center focus point?

A

ameister

When you purchase the E-P1 do you get the serial number for Olympus Studio/Master? Is it somewhere in the box?

It will be kinda foolish if one has to buy the software before they can update camera's firmware.

Thanks for any help.

Terry

You don't need to buy software to do the upgrade. You just need to install the one piece of software and register your camera (need camera serial number).

PeterB666

I did a bit more testing with the Olympus 14-42 and Panasonic 45-200 lenses and here are my findings...

I tested the Olympus 14-42 in poor indoor light and S-AF. The camera settings were ISO1600, 1/15s f/3.5 - i.e. at the 14mm end. I consistently get around 1s for focus and shoot speed. Up the light level a bit to ISO1600, 1/400s and f/3.5 and I get the same focus and shoot speeds.

Just judging the time to lock focus (easy to do on the Olypmus lens as the focus motor is so noisy), it seems to be around 0.9 to 0.8s and around 2/3s respectively. These of course are estimates as I don't have any fancy timing gear.

It seems very odd that the press to shoot time didn't improve despite the increase in lighting levels.

The same deal with the Panasonic 45-200 zoom at the 45mm end and f/4. It is harder to judge the focus lock speed as this lens is essentially silent. Focus and shoot speed is around 1s and 0.5s respectively. I was surprised that the Panasonic lens did not do better in the poorer light. Maybe the loss of about 1/3 stop makes a difference.