The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

no image stabilization in the GF-1 20/1.7 combo?

nostatic

If I read the web page right, there is no in-body SR for the GF-1, and the 20/1.7 doesn't have OIS. So that means that combination has no image stabilization?

The new 45/2.8 macro specifically mentions OIS in the lens...

R

Ranger 9

If I read the web page right, there is no in-body SR for the GF-1, and the 20/1.7 doesn't have OIS. So that means that combination has no image stabilization?
As I understand it, that is correct.

The 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux on the Leica M9 has no image stabilization either. So with the GF-1, you can be just as shaky for $16,000 less...

V

Vivek

The new 45/2.8 macro specifically mentions OIS in the lens...

What a bummer! :mad:

PeterB666

No problem with my E-P1. The 20mm f/1.7 is on my shopping list to replace my Olympus OM 28mm f/2.8 as my fixed focal length standard. Just wish the Panny had a mechanical focus ring - oh well, life is full of compromises.

V

Vivek

Could someone justify image shake by showing any pics with a normal FL lens with and without image shaker ?

Thanks!:)

Diane B

I've been shooting with the 17 f/2.8 for several months and never felt I needed IS. I am sure I'll feel the same with the 20. With my Canons, I really only have one lens with IS--and never felt I needed it for my lenses under 100mm--esp. those wider than 50mm. YMMV, but I've shot with primes for a good long while and none of them have IS. There are some that need IS--especially as they grow older (and I have LOL) with some shakiness and I understand that, but for most people, it seems using good technique, fast lenses works just fine.

Diane

V

Vivek

I am almost always saturated with coffee and I thought I missing out something, Diane.:)

Any proponents of image shakers out there?

JMaher

The lack of IS would not keep from buying a lens at this focal length but even a 40MM effective lens would benefit from stabilization. If you can normally hand hold a 40MM at 1/30 of a second stabilization should allow that same shot at 1/8 of a second. In a situation with light issues that could mean a keeper or a throw away picture. In better light there are no issues one way or the other.

Jim

V

Vivek

So, that counters the mirror slap (I might get an A850, that thing is darn good). :)

Anything with m4/3rds and shake stuff?