The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 Manual

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I prefer a PDF manual. It makes searching for what you want easier than going through a paper manual. Thanks for posting this, Terry.

The first link worked fine. 196 pages!:bugeyes:

Last edited:

Terry

Cindy,
I always download a PDF version as well. I agree that it is faster to find things. When I do go on photo trips, I generally take a manual with me. Having the manual in PDF on an iPhone would be interesting...but alas I don't know how you would search.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Terry, That is probably the prudent thing to do. I usually have my laptop when I'm traveling and I have manuals for everything in a folder for easy access.
I looked through the G-F1 manual. It doesn't look like too much of a change from the G1 (except for the scroll wheel position). I'm glad to see that there is a diopter on the EVF.

Terry

Cindy - It is probably safe to say that the manual folders on both of our computers are overflowing
:grin:

-

Last edited:

peterm1

I looked at the manual, and to tell you the truth, it makes me want something much simpler, like a Leica M9! There are a ridiculous number of features, although I do think it is cool that you can register someone's face and then when you are taking a group photo and they are in it, it will automatically make sure that particular person is in focus....

Peter

nostatic

I looked at the manual, and to tell you the truth, it makes me want something much simpler, like a Leica M9! There are a ridiculous number of features, although I do think it is cool that you can register someone's face and then when you are taking a group photo and they are in it, it will automatically make sure that particular person is in focus....

Peter
No, you want an X1 ;)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Peter

I'd rather have an M9, too...but it isn't in the cards right now and I'm looking forward to carrying the GF1 in my purse.

I'm sure I will never use the face recognition feature. I rarely use AF. I don't like putting the control in the hands of the camera.

M

meilicke

Peter
It is true about so many features. I ignore most of them (G1).

Scott

Diane B

It is true about so many features. I ignore most of them (G1).

Scott
I was going to say the same. I shoot most of the time with MF lenses--so its a simple choice of A/aperture ring, ISO and manual focus--and in RAW. Options are there for those times you want them (as bracketing perhaps). I just keep it as simple as possible.

Diane

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I was going to say the same. I shoot most of the time with MF lenses--so its a simple choice of A/aperture ring, ISO and manual focus--and in RAW. Options are there for those times you want them (as bracketing perhaps). I just keep it as simple as possible.Diane
+1

The only other option I regularly choose is +/- exposure compensation, easily invoked on the G1 via the front wheel.

As you've suggested: photography stripped down to its bare essentials. The last time I recall being as happy with a camera as I am now with the G1 was many years ago when I was using a Hasselblad 500C/M, for the most part on a tripod.

No doubt an M-series Leica offers the same kind of "pure" photographic experience. But a rangefinder doesn't really suit my style of picture making, which frequently requires focusing closer than a Leica's 0.7 meter limit. In any case, I've become not just accustomed to, but enamored of, the G1's EVF. (I took some test pictures with my D300 the other day and was startled by its "dim" viewfinder.)

I'm so happy with the G1 that I'll probably pass on the GF1 but I am curious to see what Olympus might offer in the E-P2. Image stabilization plus an EVF will be difficult to resist.