Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Having fun with the GF1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Having fun with the GF1

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Then there are those buying them as a smaller compliment to the G1/GH1 that they already own. Especially those who may prefer the Panasonic variants to the Olympus ones...
    That is my situation. I'm still a big G1 fan. The G1 can't be beat in a lot of situations. I had an LX-3 at one point. I don't think that there is any comparison between a p+s sensor and the micro-4/3 sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shots Cindy. They were a good representation of possibles.

I, too, plan to carry something in range of 40--probably my Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8. Seems like a great combo.

In reply to other posts--I'm buying it in addition to my G1. I wanted a second body (and also one I could carry 'light'), I wanted the 20 f/1.7--and I wanted to try a bit of video. Voila'---the GF1 20 kit. I think I'll shoot a lot with the 20 on, but not exclusively I don't think. For certain situations there's no doubt I'll prefer the G1.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    0ther than the privileged ... has any one been able to receive the GH1, or LX3 in the USA?

I'm confused, introduce new cameras, when they can't even deliver existing models... what kind of business model is that?
    There are quite a lot of people that have gotten the GH1 recently. In fact--Monza has them available at Precision Camera for one. On dpreview a number of people suddenly had their orders filled and are shooting happily with the GH1. I don't know about the LX3.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

0ther than the privileged ... has any one been able to receive the GH1, or LX3 in the USA?

I'm confused, introduce new cameras, when they can't even deliver existing models... what kind of business model is that?
    Well the LX3 was introduced last year and I don't think they expected it to have the cult success it has. I think more are trickling in again since their was a shortage since early summer. As for the GH1 I've seen them sporadically on the net here and there but I don't really NEED the video features personally.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Like Cindy and Diane, I have ordered the GF1 to be a companion to my G1.

I'm looking forward to trying it out with my assortment of Leica lenses, in addition to the 20/1.7.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    There are quite a lot of people that have gotten the GH1 recently. In fact--Monza has them available at Precision Camera for one. On dpreview a number of people suddenly had their orders filled and are shooting happily with the GH1. I don't know about the LX3.

Diane

Alright Robert, where's my GF-1 Opps...need to read better. Back to what you were doing!
    Last edited by wjlapier; 25th September 2009 at 11:30. Reason: can't read...

Post Thanks / Like

yehh... stiLL waiting... I think, the fast & wide...LX3 will just fit in my purse

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yehh... stiLL waiting... I think, the fast & wide...LX3 will just fit in my purse
    Y.B., you must carry a smaller purse than I do.
    Seriously, if you are looking for an LX3, I saw that Amazon.com has one available.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy these look good. Exciting! Do you think you will get along with this "form factor"? If I had to chose only one camera I think it makes most sense to have a G1/GH1....in adding a second body, I think (and that's why I ordered) this form factor allows for a little different style of shooting. Am I rationalizing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Monza, Diane and Terry. I think I could add a little pop to these, but I didn't want to stray too far off from what comes out of the camera.
    Terry, I think you will like this form factor. It is going to be a lot easier to use this in conjunction with the G1 since they have a similar interface.
    Panasonic seems to have listened to us about the buttons. They have a different surface than on the G1 (good thing!).
    I think a G1 user could pick this up and start shooting. The main difference is that the wheel is on the back now. They made it firm enough so that it doesn't turn by accident. Feels very good to me. You can spin it with your thumb without moving your finger off of the shutter.
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 25th September 2009 at 12:56.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of people have received their GH1s now, and the GF1s are being delivered as we speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, quite a lot of people have received their GF1's now. I just read a post that someone in Pgh, PA has a tracking number from a warehouse in NJ. That supports what Panasonic.com told Terry a week or so ago when she checked--that they were going to be shipped from different warehouses. I would bet that retailers will start seeing them next week also as they get delivered to them from the west coast (guessing they came in there first).

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    That noctilux video is stunning. Totally new use for the nocti.
    You mean yet another bunch of scenic rack focus shots?

I swear if I see another rack focus I can't be held accountable for my actions - especially if it is set to a pop song soundtrack

wblynch

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    ...I did put it onto single focus point AF. I don't like the camera picking the focus point.
    Cindy,

I have always hated auto-focus and have used single-point on all my AF cameras.

But now I use my G1 in multi-point focus mode and I have noticed that if I don't like the chosen points, I 'refocus' and it selects a different set. No more that 3 tries will get me what I want and very quickly.

--By the way, I love the shadow capture in the covered bridge. Nice picture and impressive quality.

-Bill L.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill, I tried the multiple focus press. I would rather have more control. I guess I'm a control freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went to a Civil War re-enactment today. I took the GF1, G1, M8 and M4-P. The G1 had the 45-200 lens on it and did most of the work. I needed the reach for the actual battle scenes. The GF1 was used for close-ups. About half of the GF1 shots were made with the 20 f/1.7 and half with the vintage Pen-F 60 f/1.5. Sadly, M8 and M4-P saw little use. The following are all with the GF1.

60 f/1.5

20 f/1.8

60 f/1.5

Last edited by Cindy Flood; 26th September 2009 at 19:05.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy,
    These all look good! Love the sweet looking woman sitting right next to the guns LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Terry. It was quite an event. I have a ton of pictures from the G1 to go through yet.
    I was going to sell the 60 f/1.5, but I loved it on the GF1 and will keep it. My Pen-F 40 f/1.4 is being calibrated. I can't wait to get it back and try it on the GF1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Thanks, Terry. It was quite an event. I have a ton of pictures from the G1 to go through yet.
    I was going to sell the 60 f/1.5, but I loved it on the GF1 and will keep it. My Pen-F 40 f/1.4 is being calibrated. I can't wait to get it back and try it on the GF1.
    Gives me hope for the 50 lux and 75 cron.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy, yes that 60 looks like a keeper, glad you decided to hang onto it.

I'll be looking at the 40 tomorrow.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I've arrived home....camera(s ) waiting.

Initial thoughts. Setting up now to do some testing.

Initial impressions:
    vs G1/GH1 - I like the GF1 button layout better. The quick menu is now in a much better spot. I shoot raw so the film mode button wasn't ever really used. The command wheel on the back will take some getting used to. I was excited for it on the back but it doesn't stick out as much as the one on the front so it feels like more of a thumb movement to change the aperture than the front one. I didn't have a problem with the front one (some people complain that they inadvertently change settings). Everything else is the same and if you've used Panasonic before it will take you no time at all to set up the menus and get it all as you want it.

vs. E-P1 while the dimensions are really that much different the GF1 feels smaller. I wish the vertical scroll on the E-P1 were on the GF1 but with the push function of the G-F1.

I am going to take some videos of the screens, focusing etc. If I can get it done tonight I will. Have to go out of town in the AM.

Not sure I'm happy with my white balance here and I hadn't set up the camera properly but....20mm @ f.17 1/3200 ISO 100

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, glad to hear you like the button layout. That was one thing I suspect I will like more. The 20 looks good, doesn't it?? I looked at the EXIF and saw that this was at f/1.7---very nice at this size.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you guys have got me convinced, I've ordered a GF1/20mm kit plus the EVF from Bill Wilby at Contact Photo Arts. (Bill's a great guy and it makes the most sense for me here in Canada). I've also ordered a CV 50mm f1.5 Nokton (I already still have a couple of M-to-M4/3 adapters). I've had this lens before for both R-D1 and M8 cameras and just loved it. Should be a nice small kit with 40mm and 100mm equivalents ranges for low light work.

Now I just have to wait for it all to arrive!

Cheers,

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Not sure I'm happy with my white balance here and I hadn't set up the camera properly but....20mm @ f.17 1/3200 ISO 100
    Wow, Google knows where you were!

You got a much better picture than they got...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Well, you guys have got me convinced, I've ordered a GF1/20mm kit plus the EVF from Bill Wilby at Contact Photo Arts. (Bill's a great guy and it makes the most sense for me here in Canada). I've also ordered a CV 50mm f1.5 Nokton (I already still have a couple of M-to-M4/3 adapters). I've had this lens before for both R-D1 and M8 cameras and just loved it. Should be a nice small kit with 40mm and 100mm equivalents ranges for low light work.

Now I just have to wait for it all to arrive!

Cheers,
    Simon,
    I know that you will enjoy the GF1. I have had the Nokton 50 f/1.5 on my M5 and M8 and it is a lovely lens. The 20 f/1.7 is sweet, too.

Post Thanks / Like

My GF1/20 is in hand. First impression is that it 'seems' smaller than it really is (in comparison with my G1).

Everything set up easily, shot with 20, 17, 14-45 and had my FD 35 f/2.8 on adaptor so tried that. MF is not difficult--if the light is right to see. That will continue to be my bugaboo, but I do know the EVF is coming. In shadow or protective place to shoot from or interior--the cat's meow as they say. I put my CV 35mm finder on and its good with that for 20 and 17--but focusing is harder to do unless stopped down. I tried various methods and can work it out, but not the best solution IMO. I'll be glad when I have the EVF in hand--knowing its not anywhere near G1's quality, but that's okay--when I need the very good one for very low light, etc.--I'll carry the G1.

All in all, looks like a keeper. I need to shoot with it this week and see, but for what I want it for (smaller to carry with one or 2 small lenses, second body, casual videoing, more discreet)--I think it will work just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Cindy, I'll be interested to hear more as you use it. Can't wait to get mine and try it out. I just got my CV 50mm f1.5 Nokton this morning, so I'm itching to try it. For now, it will have to live on my G1 or GH1.

Ciao,

Post Thanks / Like

The friendly UPS man just dropped off my new GF1 about an hour ago and I quickly unpacked it. Being a happy G1 owner I'm excited to see what this little fella can do.

Initial impressions, before tripping the shutter for frame 1:

PROs:
    - Fit and finish, in general, above average.
    - Autofocus seems a bit snappier than my G1.
    - 20MM lens is nice and compact.
    - Rear screen looks terrific.
    - Menu system is slightly different from G1 but nice, almost everything available through "always on" menus.

CONs:
    - I wish the 20mm lens was black. Oh yeah... and an included hood would be nice.
    - G1 is much more ergonomic... keeping mine. GF1 reminds me a bit of my DP1 in hand (eeeek!)
    - Rear wheel on the GF1 feels VERY cheap to me, a real downgrade from the G1. This was my only real annoyance at first blush.

All that said I am really looking forward to shooting the camera tomorrow and seeing what it's like in the real world. Hopefully I'll be as pleased with it as I am my G1.

Kent

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by kdemas View Post
    CONs:
    - I wish the 20mm lens was black. Oh yeah... and an included hood would be nice.
    This wouldn't help people on most forums, but there might be some here that could benefit, since lots of us like unusual lenses! So...

... The 20/1.7 has a 46mm filter size, right? Kind of an oddball size by most standards, but it happens to be the same as used by the rangefinder Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens in 39mm screw mount, one of the best 50/1.4s of the early '60s.

So, if you've got a Canon 50/1.4 squirreled away (or have been using one with an LTM>M adapter and M>4/3 adapter on your 4/3 camera) all your Canon lens's hoods and filters should fit the new Panasonic 20/1.7 lens!

wblynch

Ask Vivek to lend you his markers !!

Quote Originally Posted by kdemas View Post

CONs:
    - I wish the 20mm lens was black....

Kent

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    This wouldn't help people on most forums, but there might be some here that could benefit, since lots of us like unusual lenses! So...

... The 20/1.7 has a 46mm filter size, right? Kind of an oddball size by most standards, but it happens to be the same as used by the rangefinder Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens in 39mm screw mount, one of the best 50/1.4s of the early '60s.

So, if you've got a Canon 50/1.4 squirreled away (or have been using one with an LTM>M adapter and M>4/3 adapter on your 4/3 camera) all your Canon lens's hoods and filters should fit the new Panasonic 20/1.7 lens!
    Ranger, The Leica 50 f/1.4 Summilux and Voigtlander 28 f/1.9 use the 46mm filter, too.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This sounds like a heavystar purchase on e-bay for a 46mm metal hood. I used metal hoods on almost every lens i own. I don't use lens caps
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Metal-46mm-S...#ht_500wt_1182
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Canon 50/1.4 uses a 48mm actually.

Contax G lenses all use 46mm filter size except for the 21mm wide angle. There are several nice hoods for G lenses on the bay that would probably work for the 20mm Panasonic.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having fun with the GF1 (EV Comp?)

My GF1 came this morning. I believe I had four separate orders placed for different configurations. It appears to be a "crap shoot" as to who gets what. Fortunately, they all didn't ship at once. Mine was with the 14-45mm lens; which I wanted anyway, after using it on the G1. The 20mm's on order along with the EVF.

Again, apologies to TEBnewyork; but, I started another thread for GF1 photos. Hopefully it will be like the like the B & W pics thread: no equipment discussion; more pictures. Don't take it wrong, this thread is very informative, and I'm seeking information.

I'm experiencing a weird issue with my GF1 that doesn't happen on the GH1. While in Aperture Priority mode and I'm adjusting the aperture, the shutter speed will change (OK) and the EV will change also (+/- Not OK!). Did I miss something in the manual (thumbed through it)? It doesn't happen every time! There seems to be some quirky little differences between this camera and the GH1. For instance, I'd like to figure out how to set the aperture, shutter and EV comp in manual mode; but, I can't figure out how to control the EV?

It's still fun. Cheers. Here's our cat. She loves having her picture taken (not). 45mm; 1/250s @ f/5.6; ISO 640.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/

Post Thanks / Like

This photo has A LOT of noise for iso 640! The E-P1 doesn't show this kind of noise even at iso 1000.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I read the manual (duh!) and figured out my EV issue.

Rawfa: i think you're being too critical. Here's the un-cropped Raw image converted in Lightroom 2 and exported as a jpeg with no adjustments. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that was crop!!! Ouff! What a relief. I have sold my E-P1 last week and I'm getting the GF1 and that crop scared the heck out of me. The full image you've just posted is absolutely acceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having fun with the GF1 (EV Comp?)

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    I'm experiencing a weird issue with my GF1 that doesn't happen on the GH1. While in Aperture Priority mode and I'm adjusting the aperture, the shutter speed will change (OK) and the EV will change also (+/- Not OK!). Did I miss something in the manual (thumbed through it)? It doesn't happen every time! There seems to be some quirky little differences between this camera and the GH1. For instance, I'd like to figure out how to set the aperture, shutter and EV comp in manual mode; but, I can't figure out how to control the EV?

[
    I'm not sure I understand. You are saying when you set the aperture, the shutter changes as you move about within the scene (expected) but the EV also changes? I can't repeat that in any way on my GF1. You change the EV via the dial--is the EV highlighted in yellow?? When it is (as the G1--assume the GH1) this is the only time you can change the EV. Its actually not nearly as easy as with the G1/GH1 to change the EV inadvertently as some (me included) would do when handcarrying the camera--the hand/finger brushing the front dial. Now--it is much less easily changed--and the only way I can think of as changing it (you can change it from within the Qmenu also--but you still have to use the dial).

Using manual you do not use the EV. You change the exposure by changing the aperture and the shutter in tandem or alone. The camera doesn't select anything--IOW--when you select an aperture, you then select a shutter speed and that determines the exposure. By default the camera will be at ISO100, so you manually select each of the 3 settings for the exposure and DOF you wish (watching your exposure meter if you have that 'on' through menu and the +/_ to the right of the aperture/shutter to determine the exposure=plus histo).

Ah, just saw above post saying you had figured out your EV issue. Curious what it was.

Diane

JayCee

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Oh, that was crop!!! Ouff! What a relief
    You couldn't tell from the size of the image???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
    You couldn't tell from the size of the image???
    Of course I could. I just enjoy getting my self worried for nothing, questioning other people's choices and making them mad for no reason.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Rawfa: Didn't make me mad. I agree that there's noise at higher ISO's. I don't know if the RAW conversion in ACR is optimized for the Panasonic files. Above ISO 800, I might, or might not, run it through Nik Define 2.0. Depends on where I'm going with the photo. By the way, I really enjoyed your series of Budapest photos. What did you do in post-processing. They have an attractive "HDR" look without going over the top.

Two things I wish the GF1 (and GH1) had:
    1. a "minimum" shutter speed setting
    2. the ability to set EV comp w/o changing the shutter speed

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Two things I wish the GF1 (and GH1) had:
    1. a "minimum" shutter speed setting
    2. the ability to set EV comp w/o changing the shutter speed

Cheers,

[
    Basically, EV is the means to alter the exposure in A and S. In aperture priority, it controls the shutter speed. In shutter priority it controls the aperture. That's why there is no EV in manual--you control both of the settings.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Basically, EV is the means to alter the exposure in A and S. In aperture priority, it controls the shutter speed. In shutter priority it controls the aperture. That's why there is no EV in manual--you control both of the settings.
    Diane, Thanks. That's true for these two cameras. But, on my D700 and on my M8, it can be set independently at a fixed setting in manual mode. It's useful to keep the shutter speed up as it gets dark and the lens is already wide open. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

So, is it setting ISO?? If the aperture and shutter remain the same, what is influencing the exposure?? Is not only the 2 Panny's, but is true of all my Canons--I shoot primarily with a 5D. I can certainly alter the exposure with the ISO in manual--as you can with the Panny's--but the default is 100 so you must set it manually--that will work, so rather than use EC--just jump to ISO and work from there maintaining your settings but improving the exposure (histo) with increased ISO.
    Last edited by Diane B; 3rd October 2009 at 15:29.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okie Dokie,
    I made it out shooting with a group of Pentaxians today....very nice bunch and not a worry in the world for those of us not shooting Pentax!

My kit:
    GF1, 20mm, 14-140mm, 7-14mm

Great Extreme travel kit for light and fast.

The weather....well we knew it was going to be windy and the predictions were correct. I asked the park ranger on a scale of 1-10 how would he rate the wind. Answer: 8. In some locations it was actually very difficult to even hold the camera steady. These were taken at Fort Point which is an old 1800's fort just at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Love the camera. The controls are better laid out than the G1/GH1. No issues at all with the screen (but I wasn't in the worst possible light). AF is super fast unless you are in a really really dark spot with the 20mm and then it slows a bit. When I say the AF is fast, I mean you don't really have to half press and wait. As soon as you get to the halfway point on the shutter, you have focus and can continue. Both of the zooms feel great on the GF1 body. For the zooms you essentially are holding the camera with your left hand under the lens. No issues at all with the LCD. As soon as I post this, I will think up more stuff. I am going to go out shooting tomorrow but the winds are expected to continue making a coastal trip problematic.

I think Lightroom has some issues with either these RAW files or my version of Leopard. I didn't upgrade this last machine yet. I was having trouble with the adjustment brush.

Here goes....nothing here that I would say WOW what a keeper....

A few more in the next post....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lots going on in the city this weekend including a three day breast cancer walk.

Not sure if this is considered reserving a tent or personalizing one

I set up C1 (custom setting not Capture 1) for dynamic B&W jpegs (+RAW). I like Panny's B&W jpegs.... from dinner after shooting. All with he 20mm. Slight crop and resize no additional PP on these.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Met up with Terry today and had some time to evaluate the GF1. Since I arrived home, I've imported the photos I made today to Lightroom* and been looking at the results with the 20/1.7 lens, used on both my G1 and her GF1.

* I converted the files to DNG and with DNG-C 5.5 and loaded them into LR2.4 running on Leopard, Terry. No problems that I can see.
    Of course, a few dozen frames and an hour or so in total mucking around with it is hardly enough to make a formal review of credible merit. But suffice it to say:

- The Lumix G 20mm f/1.7 is a very impressive lens.

- The Panasonic GF1 works as well or better than I expected, visualizing it based on looking at the photos of it. The handling is the best I've seen in a small camera, someone put a lot of time in the design of button placements and such.

- I found only one niggle: the drive mode selector lever is smaller than I'd like.

Yes, this is almost exactly the compact digital camera I've been waiting for. (I don't need anything smaller.) I'll be delighted with it when I buy one.

Terry, thanks for letting me have some hands on time with the GF1. I'll take some time to process what I made with it tomorrow ... it took me a good bit of time to get out of the city and I'm exhausted. Too much going on there today... !

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

So, is it setting ISO?? If the aperture and shutter remain the same, what is influencing the exposure?? Is not only the 2 Panny's, but is true of all my Canons--I shoot primarily with a 5D. I can certainly alter the exposure with the ISO in manual--as you can with the Panny's--but the default is 100 so you must set it manually--that will work, so rather than use EC--just jump to ISO and work from there maintaining your settings but improving the exposure (histo) with increased ISO.
    Yes, it's affecting the ISO. It doesn't doesn't "change" the number, just modifies the results +/-. That's a good point about just changing the ISO. Results should be the same. Cheers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey,
    I crashed asleep early but now a 4AM I'm wide awake. I'm running LR 2.5. When I went to use the adjustment brush I was getting something really strange. It was like a big block (square) of changed exposure when I would use the mouse to brush over an area. In addition, the preview colors on the imports was looking much better than the final import after rendering. I have to sort this out today. I may reload the files on a second Laptop that has now Leopard and 2.5 to see whats happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, I love #2 with the dirty windows and the bridge. That is a view of the bridge that I've not seen before. It is nice to see you and Godfrey out and about--using the camera in the real world.
    Terry and Godfrey, I put my GF1 photos through the most recent Camera Raw/CS4 (I do have Snow Leopard). I don't make them dngs. I have no issues.