The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the GF1

Godfrey

... FWIW, On none of the 25mm lenses that I use (Computar-TV 25/1.3, Fujinon-TV 25/1.4, Angenieux 25/0.95, Senko/Navitar 25/0.95, Som-Berthiot 25/0.95,.....) I use a hood because it is impossible (vignette, etc).
Only the 25/2.8 Pen F lens allows for a hood and it does help with the image clarity there.
My 25mm lenses are the Olympus ZD 25/2.8 and the Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH. Both wear hoods all the time. The only lens I have that I do not use a hood with is the Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.4 ... haven't found a hood that fits it yet.

I use lens hoods all the time, deep ones: it helps. I'm not concerned with compactness.

it's a little bulky ... pictures of G1 and Summilux

monza

Diane, I use an A&A silk strap on my G1, and the original Contax (nylon webbing) strap on my Contax G2.

The A&A strap is pricey but sweet, very light, easy to curl up and use as a wrist strap.

Monza,

Curious what you have on your small cams. I have at least 3 wrist straps (of this type) around plus I use the E-1 or whatever it is on the 5D--and I have an old Camdaptor with wrist strap (these last 2 are really hand/wrist straps) that I like for one of the other Canon bodies. Sometimes I think I'd like something more similar to these on the G1 when carrying it in hand, but maybe its overkill for the G1--esp. for GF1 I guess LOL.

Diane

photoSmart42

I too would be interested in some comparison between the GF1 and the LX3, for example. I'm still not sure where this camera ends up in terms of usability. Here are my thoughts:

1. For people buying the GF1 as a compact, they'll probably end up keeping the 20/1.7 lens on it permanently. In that case, is it worth paying twice the price for a GF1 over an LX3?

2. I can certainly see the case for people buying it as a compact camera, but use it with other compact lenses if they have those available, although from the reviews it seems the 20/1.7 is an excellent lens. I just wonder how many people with available compact lenses will end up keeping those in the GF1 instead of the kit lens, in which case we're back to scenario 1.

3. For people buying the GF1 to be used with a whole range of lenses of all sizes, it begs the question of why buy the GF1 when a G1 can be had for less and with more features (albeit without the video). When coupling the GF1 with non-compact lenses, any size advantage goes away, in which case personally I'd rather have the G1 EVF and tilt LCD.

Guess I'm just thinking out loud trying to convince myself one way or another on buying the GF1 to have along with my G1, or just buying a GH1 and keeping the G1 as a backup.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I went for a walk with the GF1. I had the 20 f/1.7 on it with the Heavystar vented hood.
The Gordy strap worked out great. I had it over my right hand. My hand was on the grip and my finger on the shutter button. It felt very good and secure. I was able to raise it up and shoot very quickly. The sky was overcast and gray and the lighting was very flat.

My angle to the building caused distortion and I could have corrected it. I didn't want to do that kind of manipulation.

There was some CA in this shot.

The only problem that I saw so far was that the camera kept reporting that the lens wasn't on properly. I kept checking and it was. (I had "shoot without lens" turned off.)

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I too would be interested in some comparison between the GF1 and the LX3, for example. I'm still not sure where this camera ends up in terms of usability. Here are my thoughts:

1. For people buying the GF1 as a compact, they'll probably end up keeping the 20/1.7 lens on it permanently. In that case, is it worth paying twice the price for a GF1 over an LX3?

2. I can certainly see the case for people buying it as a compact camera, but use it with other compact lenses if they have those available, although from the reviews it seems the 20/1.7 is an excellent lens. I just wonder how many people with available compact lenses will end up keeping those in the GF1 instead of the kit lens, in which case we're back to scenario 1.

3. For people buying the GF1 to be used with a whole range of lenses of all sizes, it begs the question of why buy the GF1 when a G1 can be had for less and with more features (albeit without the video). When coupling the GF1 with non-compact lenses, any size advantage goes away, in which case personally I'd rather have the G1 EVF and tilt LCD.

Guess I'm just thinking out loud trying to convince myself one way or another on buying the GF1 to have along with my G1, or just buying a GH1 and keeping the G1 as a backup.
Then there are those buying them as a smaller compliment to the G1/GH1 that they already own. Especially those who may prefer the Panasonic variants to the Olympus ones...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Nice shots Cindy, how close does the 20mm focus?
Robert, the spec is 7.8" but it seemed more like 6" to me. I like this lens a lot. It will be a good compliment to my Pen-F 40 f/1.4 on the GF1. I'm mostly a manual focus shooter, but it was really fun to be able to point and shoot with the fast AF. I did put it onto single focus point AF. I don't like the camera picking the focus point.:ROTFL:

Y.B.Hudson III

0ther than the privileged ... has any one been able to receive the GH1, or LX3 in the USA?

I'm confused, introduce new cameras, when they can't even deliver existing models... what kind of business model is that?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Then there are those buying them as a smaller compliment to the G1/GH1 that they already own. Especially those who may prefer the Panasonic variants to the Olympus ones...
That is my situation. I'm still a big G1 fan. The G1 can't be beat in a lot of situations. I had an LX-3 at one point. I don't think that there is any comparison between a p+s sensor and the micro-4/3 sensor.

Diane B

Nice shots Cindy. They were a good representation of possibles.

I, too, plan to carry something in range of 40--probably my Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8. Seems like a great combo.

In reply to other posts--I'm buying it in addition to my G1. I wanted a second body (and also one I could carry 'light'), I wanted the 20 f/1.7--and I wanted to try a bit of video. Voila'---the GF1 20 kit. I think I'll shoot a lot with the 20 on, but not exclusively I don't think. For certain situations there's no doubt I'll prefer the G1.

Diane

Diane B

0ther than the privileged ... has any one been able to receive the GH1, or LX3 in the USA?

I'm confused, introduce new cameras, when they can't even deliver existing models... what kind of business model is that?
There are quite a lot of people that have gotten the GH1 recently. In fact--Monza has them available at Precision Camera for one. On dpreview a number of people suddenly had their orders filled and are shooting happily with the GH1. I don't know about the LX3.

Diane

iiiNelson

Well the LX3 was introduced last year and I don't think they expected it to have the cult success it has. I think more are trickling in again since their was a shortage since early summer. As for the GH1 I've seen them sporadically on the net here and there but I don't really NEED the video features personally.

RonSmith

Like Cindy and Diane, I have ordered the GF1 to be a companion to my G1.

I'm looking forward to trying it out with my assortment of Leica lenses, in addition to the 20/1.7.

wjlapier

There are quite a lot of people that have gotten the GH1 recently. In fact--Monza has them available at Precision Camera for one. On dpreview a number of people suddenly had their orders filled and are shooting happily with the GH1. I don't know about the LX3.

Diane

Alright Robert, where's my GF-1 :) Opps...need to read better. Back to what you were doing!

Last edited:

Terry

Cindy these look good. Exciting! Do you think you will get along with this "form factor"? If I had to chose only one camera I think it makes most sense to have a G1/GH1....in adding a second body, I think (and that's why I ordered) this form factor allows for a little different style of shooting. Am I rationalizing?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks Monza, Diane and Terry. I think I could add a little pop to these, but I didn't want to stray too far off from what comes out of the camera.
Terry, I think you will like this form factor. It is going to be a lot easier to use this in conjunction with the G1 since they have a similar interface.
Panasonic seems to have listened to us about the buttons. They have a different surface than on the G1 (good thing!).
I think a G1 user could pick this up and start shooting. The main difference is that the wheel is on the back now. They made it firm enough so that it doesn't turn by accident. Feels very good to me. You can spin it with your thumb without moving your finger off of the shutter.

Last edited: