Thread: Having fun with the GF1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having fun with the GF1

Very nice, Cindy!

I see the strap mania continues ... :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Bugle strap o rings will not go through the lugs on the camera.
    Back to the drawing board.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slosync View Post
    Thanks Vivek...

Good words to heed!! Personally I use the strap as a saftey measure and usually carry the G1 by the grip with my hand through the wrist strap.

I don't think the GF1 will be as easy to carry using a wrist strap as it's grip is so small. I have to make a few trips to get the "hang" of it....

Don
    Spoils of a 650 Euro experiment.

It really is astonishingly flimsy.

A Canon Powershot S20, for example, is a lot more sturdy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There
    you lot seem to be having a lot of fun!
    I'm rather jealous - lots of great pics:
    bell cindy
    panorama terry
    persimmon Diane

sorry to hear of your flimsiness accident Vivek - maybe the Gf1 with it's metal body is tougher? Would you like to give it a go?

I went to the local yesterday to play with one, but they haven't seen one yet - delivery in the UK is obviously not that great. Still, it isn't something on my horizon I'm afraid (not least because Silas has nabbed the E-p1 and all the lenses!)

Just this guy you know

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Guy, I've been looking at straps all evening. Terry had told me before that the web wouldn't fit through the lugs and I had tried with my big pro Optech wtih Pro loops too--but the pro loops wouldn't fit either--even with help. I don't want one as wide as what I use on the 5D so the Classic is probably the right one--glad she tried the 'surgery' LOL.

I looked at the Upstrap tonight but I like to sometimes use a strap 'across' my body with camera at right hip instead of over shoulder or around neck. I wasn't sure I could do that with the regular Up. For on the shoulder, I've read that nothing is better--they just don't slip.

Diane

Yes Diane if your a shoulder person with gear their really is nothing better than the Upstrap. Very hard to slip off even when you bend over to pick something off the ground. Being such a small rig to begin with you always run into strap being bigger than the camera issue as well. Going to try it and see how it works. Lots of times I like just to dump the small camera's right in my shooting vest pocket too so I don't want a monster strap either.

I thought those Y straps would be nice but if we can't trust the one lug option than maybe a bad idea.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I went to the local yesterday to play with one, but they haven't seen one yet - delivery in the UK is obviously not that great. Still, it isn't something on my horizon I'm afraid (not least because Silas has nabbed the E-p1 and all the lenses!)
    Hi Jono, Mathers of Lancashire seem to have plenty of Panasonic kit and at a good price... good service too.

I've just got my Lumix 20mm f1.7 for the E-P1 - first report here :
    dpreview post on E-P1 + 20mm f1.7

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I thought those Y straps would be nice but if we can't trust the one lug option than maybe a bad idea.
    I have one and it does seem a good strap with the Leicagoodies hook. I wonder about the GF1--it is metal case as I understand it--so is it stronger than the G1? Lugs are different also (like my DSLRS).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There
    you lot seem to be having a lot of fun!
    I'm rather jealous - lots of great pics:
    bell cindy
    panorama terry
    persimmon Diane

sorry to hear of your flimsiness accident Vivek - maybe the Gf1 with it's metal body is tougher? Would you like to give it a go?

Jono, You could suggest to Pana to send one of everything to me to try that or just send cash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Very nice, Cindy!

I see the strap mania continues ... :-)
    Chime in Godfrey. What do you use with the G1 and what do you think you will use with GF1??

I never even think about this with my Canons--I like the E1 wrist/hand strap and my hand on the camera. When I need a strap, I keep the Optech proloop straps on the lugs and I just attach the big Optech strap--but usually over my body and keep my hand on the grip with wrist strap--been doing it that way for years. Trying to figure out what to do with a little camera (though I've just used an Optech wrist strap on the G1 since January) is more trouble it seems A wrist strap or a neck/shoulder strap--a bag or in hand---

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have one and it does seem a good strap with the Leicagoodies hook. I wonder about the GF1--it is metal case as I understand it--so is it stronger than the G1? Lugs are different also (like my DSLRS).
    Yes I have yet to get my hands on one yet so i am interested in the body build and the lug setup for it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I have yet to get my hands on one yet so i am interested in the body build and the lug setup for it.
    The lugs are small slits. I read somewhere that the metal loops caused noise to be picked up during video recording. So the web strap is what is touching the camera not metal to metal connections.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using an older Leica nylon strap, which can be seen in the picture below. Unfortunately, I had to send my G1 to the service center in Elk Grove IL when the left lug became loose. It's been there since 9/14, and the last word is that they are waiting for parts from Japan to repair it. I had thought it was just a loose nut, but apparently something broke inside. I did also mention the peeling rubber on the LCD hinge, so maybe they're waiting for a new LCD unit.

I see that the GF1 has lugs similar to my Canon DSLRs and a simple nylon strap without split rings should be the answer.

Being without my G1 these past three weeks makes me doubly anxious to get my GF1 from Robert.

Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    I see that the GF1 has lugs similar to my Canon DSLRs and a simple nylon strap without split rings should be the answer.

Being without my G1 these past three weeks makes me doubly anxious to get my GF1 from Robert.
    The lugs are very similar to the Canons but don't have 'quite' the same clearance--I couldn't get my Optech pro loops through them. Terry couldn't get the Optech nylon web attachments through without cutting off the fatter (sealed with heat) ends, but now that she's done surgery on the ends, the web strap fits through.

However, I really think its a case of wrist strap or neck strap. Its just a small cam with the 20 and a neck strap seems overkill in some ways--but then in others--makes a lot more sense than for a DLSR (I never ever hang any of my DSLRS from my neck) Its a heck of a lot of angst about doggone straps isn't it????

I had read about your lug problems before--so with the G1, guess we need to be careful of carrying it by one lug (though I just use the wrist strap 'in case' and not carry it by it). I'll be anxious to hear what they did--and, though I don't have a finish problem, still interested to know what they did for yours.

BTW--we are ALL waiting for Robert to get in his Panny inventory--though we, at least, aren't without cameras. I just want my EVF

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I generally take out the center portion of the Optech straps and carry the camera on the two ends attached (clipped) together. This makes it shorter for over the shoulder carrying but can be put around the neck when needed.

On my bigger cameras I tend to have a hands strap (not wrist) and the optech in tandem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have put the two ends from an Optech on the GF1. I didn't have any trouble getting them through the lugs. I am just going to use them connected... without the center portion (I just read that Terry came to the same conclusion.) I'll put the center portion in the bottom of the bag, but just plan to use the two ends hooked together as a "hand strap" for safety.
    I have a generic plate that screws into the tripod mount. It was made to use with a hand strap. I put a heavy wring through the end and will use the plate on the GF1 when I attach it to the Y strap. I'm not giving up on the Y strap because it works so well for me. I can loop the Optech straps through the Y strap for backup security. Problem solved with old bits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I have put the two ends from an Optech on the GF1. I didn't have any trouble getting them through the lugs. I am just going to use them connected... without the center portion (I just read that Terry came to the same conclusion.) I'll put the center portion in the bottom of the bag, but just plan to use the two ends hooked together as a "hand strap" for safety.
    I have a generic plate that screws into the tripod mount. It was made to use with a hand strap. I put a heavy wring through the end and will use the plate on the GF1 when I attach it to the Y strap. I'm not giving up on the Y strap because it works so well for me. I can loop the Optech straps through the Y strap for backup security. Problem solved with old bits.
    I use my big Optech like that--mostly just leave the connectors hooked for a handle and carry the strap when traveling 'in case'. With the big camera, the loops aren't long enough to really carry on shoulder or around neck but it doesn't matter.

Since B & H isn't open, I haven't ordered yet, and since I need a new plate for the GF1, will look for one with ability to use handstrap and try the Y strap that way. I have an old Camdaptor which is really too wide, but it does have strap lugs. I haven't found a universal yet that has those same lugs except for one from S. Korea that doesn't have measurements.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... wrist strap machinations

Quote Originally Posted by slosync View Post
    Good words to heed!! Personally I use the strap as a saftey measure and usually carry the G1 by the grip with my hand through the wrist strap.

I don't think the GF1 will be as easy to carry using a wrist strap as it's grip is so small. I have to make a few trips to get the "hang" of it....
    I've been experimenting more and more with my latest wrist strap idea:

For years I've used a hand-strap or wrist-strap on the right wrist, holding the camera by its grip in the right hand with the strap cinched enough to provide drop protection. This has the unfortunate consequence of making lens changes and other things I need my right hand for somewhat clumsy ... I need to put the camera down somewhere after undoing the strap and pick it back up again, re-set the strap, etc.

I had the bright idea a couple of weeks ago to move the strap to the other side of the camera ... the left hand side ... and cinch it around my left wrist. I did this on the G1 first ... the difference is amazing. Now I carry the camera in my left hand, fingers cradling the lens, with a sure grip. My right hand and arm are completely free to move around, reach in the bag, etc. I can change a lens in half the time ... I don't need a place to set everything down. If I need to shake someone's hand, I can do it without juggling a camera. AND it incites me to *always use both hands* when taking a picture, which makes for steadier photographs.

This morning I carried the L1 on my walk and did the same thing. The same benefits apply, despite it being a much larger, heavier camera to carry.

I'm very happy with this new-found way to manage the camera in my walking about. It allows me to always have the camera at the ready for shooting while not in the way of my right hand.

My G1 strap is just a little wrist leash from the Fuji F30 camera. I've tested it, it's plenty strong enough. The L1 strap I use is an asymmetrically cut down Nikon YB-14 nylon strap, which I route through the strap lugs pointing downwards with a half-twist. My hand and arm go in from the front, the action of turning the camera to orient it properly turns the strap into a perfectly secure loop around my wrist, and it doesn't get in the way when I fit the camera on a tripod.

For both, considering this new left-wrist usage, I might re-do them with a slightly longer length to give a bit more working space for the camera to move around.
    Last edited by Godfrey; 6th October 2009 at 09:05.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Godfrey. David asked me Sunday why I didn't put the wrist strap on the left as we were fiddling around with the neck strap connectors, Y strap, etc. (he couldn't see all the kerfuddle about straps anyhow LOL). I couldn't come up with a good reason NOT to--but stuck with the right. However, you gave me some good reasons to try it. I do use 2 hands shooting so it does seem worthwhile to try.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Godfrey. David asked me Sunday why I didn't put the wrist strap on the left as we were fiddling around with the neck strap connectors, Y strap, etc. (he couldn't see all the kerfuddle about straps anyhow LOL). I couldn't come up with a good reason NOT to--but stuck with the right. However, you gave me some good reasons to try it. I do use 2 hands shooting so it does seem worthwhile to try.
    BTW: One of the reasons a longer leash is needed for the G1 is that the left-wrist strap gets in the way of the articulating LCD for waist level use and horizontal photos. I tend to shoot verticals more from waist level, but this is a factor you should keep in mind.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: ... wrist strap machinations

I had the bright idea a couple of weeks ago to move the strap to the other side of the camera ... the left hand side ... and cinch it around my left wrist. I did this on the G1 first ... the difference is amazing. Now I carry the camera in my left hand, fingers cradling the lens, with a sure grip. My right hand and arm are completely free to move around, reach in the bag, etc. I can change a lens in half the time ... I don't need a place to set everything down. If I need to shake someone's hand, I can do it without juggling a camera. AND it incites me to *always use both hands* when taking a picture, which makes for steadier photographs.
    Gordon Bennett Godfrey . . . for once I completely agree with you. I've been doing the left hand hold for some time now . . in fact, as the real test I carried an M9 for a 10 hour walk in 40C just like that - it works really well.

Just this guy you know

meilicke

Excellent idea to carry the camera in the left hand. Thank you all!

-Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ... wrist strap machinations

I've been experimenting more and more with my latest wrist strap idea:

For both, considering this new left-wrist usage, I might re-do them with a slightly longer length to give a bit more working space for the camera to move around.
    Great idea Godfrey....

I'm going to give it a try on my G1. I have to get the feel of it to see what strap length will work for me.

Thanks and cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's my GF1 with the Panasonic case, Voigt 35mm finder, UpStrap RF/DC and Contax GG-1 metal hood.
    Yum.

(photos taken with iPhone 3GS)
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm Brad you spiced that thing out nicely. Might have to add that case and lens hood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Guy. I have to say the Voigt 35mm viewfinder is an excellent match for the 20mm Pana lens. The effective focal length is 40mm, but I'd say it's actually closer to 35+, so the finder tells you what you need. The pop up flash clears the finder with room to spare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got a tutorial from Terry on my shiny new GF1.
    Man, this camera is a blast!
    Now, lets see, how do I take pictures with this thing?
    I am used to something simple like an M8 or a phase P45+ or a 1DsIII.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Thanks, Guy. I have to say the Voigt 35mm viewfinder is an excellent match for the 20mm Pana lens. The effective focal length is 40mm, but I'd say it's actually closer to 35+, so the finder tells you what you need. The pop up flash clears the finder with room to spare.
    Okay the Contax GG-1 metal hood is not cheap bud. Ouch Like 35 to 50 bucks on evil bay

I found two blank filter 49mm threads that I stripped out the glass for something before and it actually may serve as a nice hood. The Voight looks cool. Might have to check that out. I'm still waiting for my GF-1.

wblynch

Nice, with that OVF one could shoot with both eyes open.

Being Left-Eyed, I've seldom had that luxury.

Here's my GF1 with the Panasonic case, Voigt 35mm finder, UpStrap RF/DC and Contax GG-1 metal hood.
    Yum.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice setup Brad. And I just sold my Voigt 35mm Finder Another accessory to buy and I still don't have the darn thing

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got a tutorial from Terry today with my shiny new GF1 20/1.7 kit . Have to say, I am relatively impressed so far. Love the image quality, camera size and responsiveness.

Oh and Terry, the color palette B&W method we discovered does not affect the raw file only the jpeg -- and our settings looked pretty darn good. (FWIW, we discovered a quick way to get excellent B&W: turn to the color palette mode, then select custom, adjust color temp all the way red, leave brightness at 0, set saturation to 0 -- presto, that mode is now a pretty darn good B&W )
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Agree---I've just kept my 35mm finder on since I got the camera. It works fine with the 20

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Love these straps use them on all my gear. This one sounded perfect

http://upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/mer...duct_Code=RF-G
    Upstraps are great! I, too, have them on all my cameras. They're one of the only straps that don't slip off a shoulder. I've got the smaller G10 sized one on my GH1 and another on order for the GF1. On my shoulder, it's set long enough to just swing up and rotate level to shoot. Pretty stable. If it's not on my shoulder, it's wrapped around my hand. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I got a tutorial from Terry today with my shiny new GF1 20/1.7 kit . Have to say, I am relatively impressed so far. Love the image quality, camera size and responsiveness.

Oh and Terry, the color palette B&W method we discovered does not affect the raw file only the jpeg -- and our settings looked pretty darn good. (FWIW, we discovered a quick way to get excellent B&W: turn to the color palette mode, then select custom, adjust color temp all the way red, leave brightness at 0, set saturation to 0 -- presto, that mode is now a pretty darn good B&W )
    Darn guess you maybe liking this too much already. This backorder is not making me happy.

Post Thanks / Like

LCD protector for GF1.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Diane, Once you hit the buy button on the screenpatronus site, there will be a window to enter your make and model. I don't always have the correct model on hand and sometimes cut them, but hopefully if you order for GF1, it will be correct.

Just wanted to say that I got my screen protector from them yesterday and put it on today. If anyone is looking for an LCD protector--this fits exactly and I can't tell I have anything on the screen. I've never put a protector on an LCD before--but wasn't sure how the cover on the GF1 would hold up with some abrasion from in and out of bag or other possible ways to scratch/abrade with a camera used as this one will be.

So--thanks Cindy. Good link, quick service and I have 2 more to use--maybe I will put one on the G1 since I have them.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    FWIW, we discovered a quick way to get excellent B&W: turn to the color palette mode, then select custom, adjust color temp all the way red, leave brightness at 0, set saturation to 0 -- presto, that mode is now a pretty darn good B&W
    Jack or Terry,

I'm curious how this setting compares to the built-in Dynamic B&W which I really like. What differences do you see and what were you looking for?

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Jack or Terry,

I'm curious how this setting compares to the built-in Dynamic B&W which I really like. What differences do you see and what were you looking for?

Cheers,
    Actually, it precludes you from making exposure changes so more work needs to be done on how to use the color palette. I've got my C1 set to dynamic B&W

Post Thanks / Like

NOW I'm having fun!!

Thank you Robert!

My GF1 just arrived.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

NOW I'm having fun!!

Thank you Robert!

My GF1 just arrived.
    So glad. You will have fun, I have no fears

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Sold my E-P1 and now using a GF1+LVF1 (along with my G1) and really enjoying this little camera. The 20mm is the sharpest lens in my m43 arsenal and although the clip-on LVF is not as nice as the larger G1 EVF, the LVF on the GF1 is quite adequate and a definite plus. Great to have in bright sun and difficult shooting angles. I had no problems with MF using the LVF on the GF1.

Fall colors are only slowly coming on, but the sumacs are really intense this year.

GF1+20mm f/1.7

Post Thanks / Like

NOW I'm having fun!!

Thank you Robert!

My GF1 just arrived.

You too! A few goodies I acquired before the GF-1 arrived. The leather case from ace_of_bicycle, a CV 35mm finder, and the Essential strap from Luigi's.

Battery is charging--pics to follow

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got a chance to take my GF1 and 20/1.7 out for a spin this morning.

I like it.

Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

AF seems to work - great to have an athletic daughter. Lousy weather otherwise in MA.
    Last edited by retow; 19th June 2010 at 02:58.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Nasturtium. A survivor of several recent frosts and a snow storm - just keeps hanging on. Shot with the GF1 and 20mm f/1.7.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    AF seems to work - great to have an athletic daughter. Lousy weather otherwise in MA.
    Nice fun capture. Lot's of spontaneity. Made me smile. Thanks for posting. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Took the GF1 with 20mm f/1.7 on a short trip to one of the local vineyards.

Lake overlook from the vineyard.

Some grapes that missed the harvest.

Fence post

Milkweed ready to fly

Enter the wine tasting room

The "winemobile" that will safely shuttle you on to the next vineyard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My first trial outside today with the GF1 and 14-45mm kit lens. I found the results very Leicaish.. And it's love at first sight.

Photos from Istanbul.

Seyhun

First 2 photos are from a mall, the second one is ISO800, 3rd photo is Valens Waterway from Byzantine times, and the last photo is from a small Ottoman mosque built in 1540.
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't find a thread that this suited better (probably was an EVF thread a bit before), but I just got my EVF from Robert. Totally usable for me. I tried MF with my FD 50 and had no problem at all. Once I set the diopter, things were fine. No--its not nearly as big as the G1's, but I tried in quite low light and was totally surprised (with f/1.7 and 1.8 lenses). The only 'con' is that you have to use the button to go back and forth. Its a good purchase for me for sure.

And thanks to Robert for getting it to my post haste to have for next week's trip.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't find a thread that this suited better (probably was an EVF thread a bit before), but I just got my EVF from Robert. Totally usable for me. I tried MF with my FD 50 and had no problem at all. Once I set the diopter, things were fine. No--its not nearly as big as the G1's, but I tried in quite low light and was totally surprised (with f/1.7 and 1.8 lenses). The only 'con' is that you have to use the button to go back and forth. Its a good purchase for me for sure.

And thanks to Robert for getting it to my post haste to have for next week's trip.
    This is great to hear! Thanks Diane.

Post Thanks / Like

Here would be my caveat--Terry had warned me that the EVF was difficult in one very bright glarey condition--so I tried to duplicate that. What I found was similar--for me--to using the G1's in VERY bright light where I had to cup my left--or right--hand to the glare-y side of the EVF. An eyecup would probably take care of this, but I don't think it will be an issue for me most of the time. Perhaps it would be best to say YMMV--depending upon your eyes, etc. I'm not young--and do wear glasses (though don't have to with using the diopter) but others may just find it too restrictive--I don't for its intended purpose.

This is my guess--some of the folks that haven't liked it may not have tried the EVF on the G1 and be aware that with slower lenses (particularly) the view gets grainy/dark with MF assist (and changes in quite low light even without MF assist), but you adapt---and can actually focus with the EVF as opposed to a VF even on a FF camera with a pretty large VF. Its WAY better than no VF. Will I use it all the time--I don't know--I do tend to just bring a camera to my eye

BUT--I just tried the angled view--and wow, do I love it. I think it will make a big difference in how I use the camera. I thought I remembered Reichman saying the one thing that annoyed him was that the EVF wouldn't stay 'down' and caught when he put it in bag, etc. (I could be dreaming this LOL), but mine has a bitty latch and when its down, it can't easily be moved. You just lift it and its stable enough it stays where you want. No problem that I can see.

I went back and read the review and this is what he says "I was less happy with the fact that the viewfinder doesn't lock into position. This means that it's all too easy for it to be accidentally detached, especially when taking it in and out of a coat pocket or bag." So--I'm not sure if he wanted it to lock at an angle--or if he didn't realize that it will lock 'down'--you have to press it for it to 'lock'. I just actually read the instructions and it says nothing about 'locking' it into position--and now I can't remember if it came without being locked--or not. Regardless--it does indeed lock into the straight forward position and you simply easily lift and set the angle. It would only make sense to me to push it down when not using it..
    Last edited by Diane B; 23rd October 2009 at 13:28.

Post Thanks / Like

My EVF came this morning (from Bill Wilby at Contact Photo Arts) and although it is very different quality-wise from the G1/GH1's EVF, it is, as Diane mentions, quite usable for manual focusing. It's bigger than I was expecting (bulky), but makes a nice addition to the camera and gives me the ability have the camera up to my eye which I much prefer.

Cheers,