The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the GF1

Diane B

Thanks, Guy. I have to say the Voigt 35mm viewfinder is an excellent match for the 20mm Pana lens. The effective focal length is 40mm, but I'd say it's actually closer to 35+, so the finder tells you what you need. The pop up flash clears the finder with room to spare.
Agree---I've just kept my 35mm finder on since I got the camera. It works fine with the 20

m_driscoll

Love these straps use them on all my gear. This one sounded perfect

http://upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RF-G
Upstraps are great! I, too, have them on all my cameras. They're one of the only straps that don't slip off a shoulder. I've got the smaller G10 sized one on my GH1 and another on order for the GF1. On my shoulder, it's set long enough to just swing up and rotate level to shoot. Pretty stable. If it's not on my shoulder, it's wrapped around my hand. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I got a tutorial from Terry today with my shiny new GF1 20/1.7 kit :D. Have to say, I am relatively impressed so far. Love the image quality, camera size and responsiveness.

Oh and Terry, the color palette B&W method we discovered does not affect the raw file only the jpeg -- and our settings looked pretty darn good. (FWIW, we discovered a quick way to get excellent B&W: turn to the color palette mode, then select custom, adjust color temp all the way red, leave brightness at 0, set saturation to 0 -- presto, that mode is now a pretty darn good B&W ;) )
Darn guess you maybe liking this too much already. This backorder is not making me happy.

Diane B

LCD protector for GF1.....

Diane, Once you hit the buy button on the screenpatronus site, there will be a window to enter your make and model. I don't always have the correct model on hand and sometimes cut them, but hopefully if you order for GF1, it will be correct.

Just wanted to say that I got my screen protector from them yesterday and put it on today. If anyone is looking for an LCD protector--this fits exactly and I can't tell I have anything on the screen. I've never put a protector on an LCD before--but wasn't sure how the cover on the GF1 would hold up with some abrasion from in and out of bag or other possible ways to scratch/abrade with a camera used as this one will be.

So--thanks Cindy. Good link, quick service and I have 2 more to use--maybe I will put one on the G1 since I have them.

Diane

simonclivehughes

FWIW, we discovered a quick way to get excellent B&W: turn to the color palette mode, then select custom, adjust color temp all the way red, leave brightness at 0, set saturation to 0 -- presto, that mode is now a pretty darn good B&W ;)
Jack or Terry,

I'm curious how this setting compares to the built-in Dynamic B&W which I really like. What differences do you see and what were you looking for?

Cheers,

Terry

Jack or Terry,

I'm curious how this setting compares to the built-in Dynamic B&W which I really like. What differences do you see and what were you looking for?

Cheers,
Actually, it precludes you from making exposure changes so more work needs to be done on how to use the color palette. I've got my C1 set to dynamic B&W

scho

Yes! Sold my E-P1 and now using a GF1+LVF1 (along with my G1) and really enjoying this little camera. The 20mm is the sharpest lens in my m43 arsenal and although the clip-on LVF is not as nice as the larger G1 EVF, the LVF on the GF1 is quite adequate and a definite plus. Great to have in bright sun and difficult shooting angles. I had no problems with MF using the LVF on the GF1.

Fall colors are only slowly coming on, but the sumacs are really intense this year.

GF1+20mm f/1.7

wjlapier

NOW I'm having fun!!

Thank you Robert! :thumbs:

My GF1 just arrived.

You too! A few goodies I acquired before the GF-1 arrived. The leather case from ace_of_bicycle, a CV 35mm finder, and the Essential strap from Luigi's.

Battery is charging--pics to follow :)

retow

AF seems to work - great to have an athletic daughter. Lousy weather otherwise in MA.

Last edited:

scho

Nasturtium. A survivor of several recent frosts and a snow storm - just keeps hanging on. Shot with the GF1 and 20mm f/1.7.

scho

Took the GF1 with 20mm f/1.7 on a short trip to one of the local vineyards.

Lake overlook from the vineyard.

Some grapes that missed the harvest.

Fence post

Milkweed ready to fly

Enter the wine tasting room

The "winemobile" that will safely shuttle you on to the next vineyard

s.agar

My first trial outside today with the GF1 and 14-45mm kit lens. I found the results very Leicaish.. And it's love at first sight.

Photos from Istanbul.

Seyhun

First 2 photos are from a mall, the second one is ISO800, 3rd photo is Valens Waterway from Byzantine times, and the last photo is from a small Ottoman mosque built in 1540.

Diane B

I couldn't find a thread that this suited better (probably was an EVF thread a bit before), but I just got my EVF from Robert. Totally usable for me. I tried MF with my FD 50 and had no problem at all. Once I set the diopter, things were fine. No--its not nearly as big as the G1's, but I tried in quite low light and was totally surprised (with f/1.7 and 1.8 lenses). The only 'con' is that you have to use the button to go back and forth. Its a good purchase for me for sure.

And thanks to Robert for getting it to my post haste to have for next week's trip.

Godfrey

I couldn't find a thread that this suited better (probably was an EVF thread a bit before), but I just got my EVF from Robert. Totally usable for me. I tried MF with my FD 50 and had no problem at all. Once I set the diopter, things were fine. No--its not nearly as big as the G1's, but I tried in quite low light and was totally surprised (with f/1.7 and 1.8 lenses). The only 'con' is that you have to use the button to go back and forth. Its a good purchase for me for sure.

And thanks to Robert for getting it to my post haste to have for next week's trip.
This is great to hear! Thanks Diane.

Diane B

Here would be my caveat--Terry had warned me that the EVF was difficult in one very bright glarey condition--so I tried to duplicate that. What I found was similar--for me--to using the G1's in VERY bright light where I had to cup my left--or right--hand to the glare-y side of the EVF. An eyecup would probably take care of this, but I don't think it will be an issue for me most of the time. Perhaps it would be best to say YMMV--depending upon your eyes, etc. I'm not young--and do wear glasses (though don't have to with using the diopter) but others may just find it too restrictive--I don't for its intended purpose.

This is my guess--some of the folks that haven't liked it may not have tried the EVF on the G1 and be aware that with slower lenses (particularly) the view gets grainy/dark with MF assist (and changes in quite low light even without MF assist), but you adapt---and can actually focus with the EVF as opposed to a VF even on a FF camera with a pretty large VF. Its WAY better than no VF. Will I use it all the time--I don't know--I do tend to just bring a camera to my eye

BUT--I just tried the angled view--and wow, do I love it. I think it will make a big difference in how I use the camera. I thought I remembered Reichman saying the one thing that annoyed him was that the EVF wouldn't stay 'down' and caught when he put it in bag, etc. (I could be dreaming this LOL), but mine has a bitty latch and when its down, it can't easily be moved. You just lift it and its stable enough it stays where you want. No problem that I can see.

I went back and read the review and this is what he says "I was less happy with the fact that the viewfinder doesn't lock into position. This means that it's all too easy for it to be accidentally detached, especially when taking it in and out of a coat pocket or bag." So--I'm not sure if he wanted it to lock at an angle--or if he didn't realize that it will lock 'down'--you have to press it for it to 'lock'. I just actually read the instructions and it says nothing about 'locking' it into position--and now I can't remember if it came without being locked--or not. Regardless--it does indeed lock into the straight forward position and you simply easily lift and set the angle. It would only make sense to me to push it down when not using it..

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

My EVF came this morning (from Bill Wilby at Contact Photo Arts) and although it is very different quality-wise from the G1/GH1's EVF, it is, as Diane mentions, quite usable for manual focusing. It's bigger than I was expecting (bulky), but makes a nice addition to the camera and gives me the ability have the camera up to my eye which I much prefer.

Cheers,