The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the GF1

simonclivehughes

...he says "I was less happy with the fact that the viewfinder doesn't lock into position. This means that it's all too easy for it to be accidentally detached, especially when taking it in and out of a coat pocket or bag."
Diane, I'm pretty sure he meant that there's no way to lock the EVF itself onto the camera and therefore he was worried that it might slide out of the hotshoe.

Cheers,

Diane B

Diane, I'm pretty sure he meant that there's no way to lock the EVF itself onto the camera and therefore he was worried that it might slide out of the hotshoe.

Cheers,
Probably you are correct, but mine is pretty stiff to get out--it would take an effort to dislodge it and I can't imagine you wouldn't be aware that was happening. It won't 'fall out'--that's for sure.

Actually mine rather feels as though you need to push it to dislodge--as though there is a connection that you have to 'break' --I can't think how to describe it but to say that it feels popped into something that you have to un-pop--not just slide it out of the hotshoe. Perhaps MR's is looser than mine. My Voigtlander 35 VF would almost fall out of my G9 hotshoe but is almost too tight on the GF1.

simonclivehughes

Mine is quite tight too so I don't anticipate any issues. I've also had some of the CV OVFs that I had to shim to stay firmly in the hotshoe (on other cameras).

Ciao,

wjlapier

Diane, I was waiting to hear from someone who is MFing using the EVF. Just ordered mine. FWIW--I was playing with the 90/4 Elmar on the GF1. Using the LCD wasn't too bad.

Diane B

Diane, I was waiting to hear from someone who is MFing using the EVF. Just ordered mine. FWIW--I was playing with the 90/4 Elmar on the GF1. Using the LCD wasn't too bad.
I can MF with the LCD--but I just don't deal well with a lot of daylight and the LCD (or any LCD). I expect I may shoot with LCD in many circumstances where the LCD isn't greyed, etc.---but I just hate that--can't see well enough to do more than 'sort of' compose. It may be my eyes--I've always had some sensitivity to light (oncoming headlights on 2 lane roads have driven me crazy since I learned to drive--a LONG time ago :ROTFL:) I tried the Pen when it came out--liked it generally but when I tried it in brighter light I knew it was the same old thing (I had a G9, my first small cam since the original G1 and tried external VFs). When the GF1 came out with the accessory EVF--I knew that was the way that would work better for me. Right now--I'm a happy camper. It will become my carry everywhere camera with the 20 and either the 14-45 or the 40 f/1.8.

I wouldn't want to influence anyone--but for me, its just fine. Would I like an even better one??---yes, but I can live with this quite easily.

Godfrey

The problem I find when focusing using the LCD with a fast, longer-than-portrait-tele lens is that I like to shoot near wide open ... I find I focus at one distance from my eyes and subtly shift the camera when I make the exposure, throwing a precise focus out. This is where the EVF is so good for hand-held work: I'll focus and make the exposure without moving the camera.

Of course, this problem goes away as soon as I put the camera on a tripod.

Diane B

The problem I find when focusing using the LCD with a fast, longer-than-portrait-tele lens is that I like to shoot near wide open ... I find I focus at one distance from my eyes and subtly shift the camera when I make the exposure, throwing a precise focus out. This is where the EVF is so good for hand-held work: I'll focus and make the exposure without moving the camera.

Of course, this problem goes away as soon as I put the camera on a tripod.
That too for me Godfrey. I dilly dallied about buying a remote for the m4/3rds so will just have to use the timer this trip but need to go right now and order one LOL.

m_driscoll

I agree with all of the positive statements above about the EVF. I did find that when it's stuffed into my camera bag; pulling it out occasionally unsnaps the EVF. A more frequent problem is having to reset the diopter when I've shoved the camera into my coat pocket. Minor issues. The tilt-up's very useful. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

L

Linh

Cheers,
That's how I read it, but when I got my LVF, I don't see how that's possible. I feel it'll break first. I am worried about wearing it down from sliding, as well as popping it in and out of tilt mode (that is very easy to de-latch in a bag).

As for the LVF, I'm fairly happy with it, but not sure if I should keep it. It is cumbersome to slide on/off and swap with the cover. And when I am wearing it w/ a shoulder strap, I'm always afraid I'm going to knock the LVF and snap it off.

barjohn

I have a question for those that have the G1. My recollection is that the EVF on the G1 would tend to smear with a fast pan and get very noisy in low light. With the GF1 EVF the refresh of the screen is so fast that I can pan very quickly and the display keeps up with it instantaneously. Also it is very clean in low light. Anyone that can confirm or refute my findings?

ecsh

Both my GF1 and G1 look the same when i try a fast panning movement, its the slight jello effect on items moving, and the amount of light changes until i stop the movement. Now that i am comparing the two, the EVF of the GF1 is not that much less than the G1. As far as the EVF sliding out of the hotshoe, i don't see how. Mine is really a tight fit, and the plug also puts resistance on it coming out easily. I would be more worried about shearing off the EVF if it tilted up and you pulled it out of a coat pocket or bag fast.

Godfrey

I have a question for those that have the G1. My recollection is that the EVF on the G1 would tend to smear with a fast pan and get very noisy in low light. With the GF1 EVF the refresh of the screen is so fast that I can pan very quickly and the display keeps up with it instantaneously. Also it is very clean in low light. Anyone that can confirm or refute my findings?
I don't have a GF1+EVF to compare to, but I don't find the G1 viewfinder 'smears' very much at all (it seems to tear/smear/whatever ya wanna call it more at longer focal length settings, of course) and while a touch noisy it's perfectly usable for me in light levels that are extremely low (at IS0 800 @ f/2.8 @ 5 seconds illumination level, I can still focus with perfect accuracy on small specular reflections in my bathroom).

The GF1 EVF's lower resolution, lower magnification and same refresh rate will tend to hide some of the smearing/tearing behavior and noise given equal brightness, I imagine.

Diane B

I had a day's experience today shooting with the GF1 and EVF. It started out with a misty rain and ended up with bright sunshine. It was a festival (and I was with 2 friends and my husband--so no real 'serious' shooting--but fun) and I have no idea if I got anything worthwhile--it was more a 'test' of using the GF1 for a day's shooting. I just loved it--light, easy to use EVF and even when it was very very bright at end of day--I cupped my hand to the glare side as I mentioned above. It did mean I had to use the heel of my hand on the left side of the camera to stabilize and the fingers over the EVF, but it worked and didn't leave me one handed shooting. All in all--I decided this was the camera for just a casual day's shooting--travel especially--it would not suit me nearly as well without the EVF. I suspect next week that it wil be the one (with the 14-45 and 40 f1/.8) that I carry unless I have some more serious shooting in mind--and even then--as perhaps the second body with one lens and another on the G1. I can only say I'm glad I bought it--just a great duo, the G1 and the GF1.

Diane

tom in mpls

The GF-1 is the Sigma DP2 done right.

I have sold my E-P1 last week and I'm getting the GF1...
I haven't been over to this forum for a while now. I, too, sold my EP-1 and now own the GF-1 and 20mm combo. It looks like all the usual suspects here at GetDPI have switched, too! The slow focusing was making me crazy, and I like the 20/1.7 better than the 17/2.8. Why did others switch? I hesitated, as the EP-1 is so retro cool, but that wasn't reason enough to keep it.

To my way of thinking, the GF-1/20mm combo successfully achieves what the Sigma DP1 and 2 tried to be but failed. I plan to get the 35mm finder and keep the one lens only. One prime lens, just like the Siggy. But better.

L

Linh

However, I really think its a case of wrist strap or neck strap. Its just a small cam with the 20 and a neck strap seems overkill in some ways--but then in others--makes a lot more sense than for a DLSR (I never ever hang any of my DSLRS from my neck) :) Its a heck of a lot of angst about doggone straps :wtf: isn't it????
haha, you're telling me. I just went back through the thread, I'm torn on what to do. I really like the gordy strap look, but have a perfectly good y-strap here. But then the whole one lug support is starting to worry me.

Or just do a bag and wrist strap. And then there's the question of a bag that can house the EVF mounted.

On a side note, is there an easier/faster way to move single point af? I thought I hated the joystick pad on the canon dslrs, but that was obviously before trying it on this kind of camera, heh.

Diane B

I put an OPtech Classic strap on mine--but I'm carrying my Gordy strap with me next week (trip) in case I change my mind. How about that for decisiveness LOL. I'm carrying all my m4/3rds in aa Domke F6 but--found yesterday that the Lowepro Terraclime works great (for me). It houses the GF1 with EVF and one (easily more if I would choose) other lens and when I had the camera around neck (and I never ever use a neck strap)--but this camera works quite well on one--light--right there for immediacy and the neck strap gives a bit of stabilization for lower light--and video LOL. After this trip I will probably have a stronger position on neck strap vs. wrist strap--but yesterday for a long day, it worked great on neck strap (hardly knew it was there) with the extra lens in the bag--but it could as well have been in a pocket.

There are several ways to move the AF--you can set up Direct AF in the menu--but you lose the 4 way controller's other functions. The way I find best is to just click on the left and bottom 4 way, move it around and that's it. You can revert to center AF by clicking on delete button (need to be in the AF move mode though--it won't work once you push the shutter button--until you do the left/bottom click again). But perhaps you mean OTHER than using 4 way--not that I know of. You have to move it with something--that's about the only 'something' available for moving things around and I'm quite used to it so maybe it doesn't annoy me.

Diane

L

Linh

But perhaps you mean OTHER than using 4 way--not that I know of. You have to move it with something--that's about the only 'something' available for moving things around and I'm quite used to it so maybe it doesn't annoy me.

Diane
well, I was hoping I missed some glaring obvious way to jump from left to right quickly or something like that. Or maybe panasonic is listening in on here and will find a way to add it in the next firmware ;) Though, did not know delete recentered, that might make things faster. Thanks

RonSmith

Here are a couple accessories GF1 owners might consider.

I got the Kirk universal plate (PZ-130) for $25.00 and it fits perfectly and allows full access to the battery/card door.
http://www.kirkphoto.com/Universal_Camera_Plate_for_Point_and_Shoot_cameras.html

I also got a 46mm metal screw-in hood from Heavystar for about $7.00. It doesn't seem to cause any vignetting on the 20 and a standard 52mm cap, such as Nikon or Canon, fits it perfectly.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Metal-46mm-...ItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item53dda00542

Both items can be seen in the photo below.

L

Linh

Oh, Diane, which Terraclime do you have? the 50? That looks pretty nice and compact in that I can fit it in my messenger bag I carry to work every day, yet still use it on it's own. then I'd just get a wrist strap =)

Diane B

Here are a couple accessories GF1 owners might consider.

I got the Kirk universal plate (PZ-130) for $25.00 and it fits perfectly and allows full access to the battery/card door.
http://www.kirkphoto.com/Universal_Camera_Plate_for_Point_and_Shoot_cameras.html

I also got a 46mm metal screw-in hood from Heavystar for about $7.00. It doesn't seem to cause any vignetting on the 20 and a standard 52mm cap, such as Nikon or Canon, fits it perfectly.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Metal-46mm-...ItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item53dda00542
Thanks for the links Ron. I've been using a Wimberley plate I owned on both cameras--but too big for both battery doors. I like L brackets but suspect we won't see one for these.

I have Heavystar hoods for all my MF lenses and really like them. Haven't ordered one for the 20 yet so thanks for the link.

Diane