The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the GF1

Diane B

Oh, Diane, which Terraclime do you have? the 50? That looks pretty nice and compact in that I can fit it in my messenger bag I carry to work every day, yet still use it on it's own. then I'd just get a wrist strap =)
I have the 100--bought it for the G1. Terry has the 50 (TEBnewyork) also so perhaps we should ask her about use with the GF1 with EVF. The 100 is roomy so I can add some personal things too--sunglasses, cell, etc. LOL. If the 50 is tall enough (and the 100 is plenty tall enough), then I bet the 50 would be just what you need.

Diane

wjlapier

I have the 100--bought it for the G1. Terry has the 50 (TEBnewyork) also so perhaps we should ask her about use with the GF1 with EVF. The 100 is roomy so I can add some personal things too--sunglasses, cell, etc. LOL. If the 50 is tall enough (and the 100 is plenty tall enough), then I bet the 50 would be just what you need.

Diane
I have the 100 too. I bought the A&A insert ( smaller of the two ) for my M kit. One of the best bags I've ever owned. Might need a second one for the GF1 kit!

Godfrey

Thanks for the links Ron. I've been using a Wimberley plate I owned on both cameras--but too big for both battery doors. I like L brackets but suspect we won't see one for these.
Really Right Stuff has a page for a GF1 L-bracket up. No pictures yet, but they're taking pre-orders. $105

Diane B

Really Right Stuff has a page for a GF1 L-bracket up. No pictures yet, but they're taking pre-orders. $105
Well, thanks for helping me spend my money Godfrey (tongue in cheek):ROTFL: :ROTFL:.

I just sort of gave up looking since indications had been they probably wouldn't do one (no, that's wrong--I'm basing it on what i read about them or anyone else making one for the G1--which would be more difficult I've understood). Guess I'll have to decide if it would be worthwhile for the GF1--deciding how often I would use it on tripod as opposed to the G1--and $25 vs. $105 for 'maybe'.

Diane

m3photo

Re: RRS Brackets

Funny that. I remember just after buying the G1 I wrote to them asking when they'd have an L-Bracket for it and back then they replied that they weren't considering making one! Amazing how the success of these little cameras has changed perceptions!

Godfrey

... I just sort of gave up looking since indications had been they probably wouldn't do one (no, that's wrong--I'm basing it on what i read about them or anyone else making one for the G1--which would be more difficult I've understood). Guess I'll have to decide if it would be worthwhile for the GF1--deciding how often I would use it on tripod as opposed to the G1--and $25 vs. $105 for 'maybe'.
You're welcome. ;-)

Given the light weight of the G1 and the lenses I tend to use with it, the lack of an L-bracket hasn't been too much of an issue. Same goes for the GF1, when I get one.

BTW, I prefer the RRS B9-E or B6 plates over the Kirk, even though they're double the price, because they're bidirectional. I find with the Markins Q3's QR clamp, I like the securing knob to hang out the back rather than tuck up under the side of the camera.

Diane B

Given the light weight of the G1 and the lenses I tend to use with it, the lack of an L-bracket hasn't been too much of an issue. Same goes for the GF1, when I get one.

BTW, I prefer the RRS B9-E or B6 plates over the Kirk, even though they're double the price, because they're bidirectional. I find with the Markins Q3's QR clamp, I like the securing knob to hang out the back rather than tuck up under the side of the camera.
Ah, well, that's true, I really haven't missed not having an L on the G1. Haven't really done anything on tripod yet (except trying some very low light) with the GF1.

Thanks for the tip about the RRS B9-E or B6--since I have a Markins also.

Godfrey

The local camera shop (Keeble & Shuchat) received a couple of the EVFs in stock for the GF1 so I got to try it out in person yesterday.

Just as expected, it reminds me very much of an improved Panasonic FZ10 viewfinder. The image is small but clear and usable, the high refresh rate much nicer to work with than the FZ10's slow refresh. I found I could manually focus the kit zoom easily at 45mm (f/5.6) and adequately at 14mm (f/3.5). For the lenses I'd use it with (40mm f/1.4, 20mm f/1.7, 11-22mm f/2.8, 70mm f/2, etc) it would be fine. The manual switching back and forth to the LCD also reminds me of the FZ10 ... it's not as slick as the G1's auto-sensing but works fine for the intended purpose.

I suspect that if/when I buy a GF1, I'll order one of these EVFs too, although I also suspect that I'll want the 20mm and an OVF on the camera most of the time. There's something about that combination that just appeals to me most.

ggibson

A shot of a fellow bus passenger's boot (ISO 800):

Sailboats down by AT&T Park in San Francisco: