The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MP-E 65mm Macro on G1?

photoSmart42

Curious to find out if anyone here has tried this macro lens (presumably with an EOS-mFT adapter) on the G1. I'd like to find out if there's any issues with shooting at full aperture all the time (no EOS body to adjust it), and how it might compare image-quality-wise with something like the Tokina 90mm 2.5 AT-X.

V

Vivek

The AT-X goes to 1:2 and needs an extender to reach 1:1 where the superlative MP-E starts.

IMO, there isn't much to compare and it is a shame to waste that gem of a lens on a G1.

photoSmart42

IMO, there isn't much to compare and it is a shame to waste that gem of a lens on a G1.
Why do you say it would be a waste on the G1? Is the G1 sensor that much different than an EOS? Is it because of the inability to adjust the aperture on the G1? Just wondering.

V

Vivek

1. The inability to adjust the aperture.
2. Adapter is needed to attache the lens.
3. Inferior DR, high noise associated with G1 sensor.
4. Cheaper to get an EOS body (film or digi) so that E-TTL system flashes can be used (necessary when using these high magnifications).

JerryMK

I shoot 99% of my Macro's the Pana G1 with the outstanding Tokina AT-X 90mm. Sometimes use the extender with it. But for Flowers and Butterflies you do not need the extender.

The Bokeh rendering of the Tokina is unique!

An example of what the Tokina does:

For more see: My FlickrStream

photoSmart42

@ Jerry - As soon as I get that Tokina I'll start using it =). Guess it's stuck somewhere at the Netherlands TNT post office.

@ Vivek - Good points! Thanks! If I really get into the macro stuff and I'll see the need for the MP-E 65mm lens, then I might just get a used EOS digital body for it. We'll see.

JerryMK

@ Jerry - As soon as I get that Tokina I'll start using it =). Guess it's stuck somewhere at the Netherlands TNT post office.

It should be with you any day now! I am sure you will enjoy shooting with the Tokina as much as I do. From day one I love it and it is almost glued on my G1 :)

V

Vivek

Come to think of it, wouldn't the Tokina get to 2:1 with the extender because of the size of the G1 sensor?
Sure it would when the 65mm lens "becomes" a 130mm lens due to the "doubling".:)

(FL does not change with the crop. Magnification does not change with the crop...:lecture:)

photoSmart42

(FL does not change with the crop. Magnification does not change with the crop...:lecture:)
I understand that FL doesn't change with the crop, but isn't it the case that when a full-frame image falls on a sensor half the size, you get an image that's twice the size? In other words, a flower that would fill half of a full-frame sensor at 1:1 would fill the entire G1 frame, thus making it appear twice as large given the same image size, so effectively 2:1? Isn't magnification relative to the sensor size? Or am I not understanding something?

V

Vivek

Photograph a scale to convince yourself.

1:1 is 1:1.

There is nothing effective, etc.

photoSmart42

Photograph a scale to convince yourself.
Well, I guess I'll have to do that. Maybe. There seems to be a lot of confusion in the literature at large on this issue, and I think people lose track of the different reference systems they use to compare their understanding of the subject. Having a fixed, analog reference system (i.e. the 35mm film) made things easy to compare in the past, but in the digital world with different sensor sizes, different pixel densities, etc. it makes this discussion more difficult I think.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I just wanted to find out if I could use the MP-E 65mm on my G1, and I think I got my answer. Thanks all! I'll just go back to taking photos. Cheers!

V

Vivek

Photosmart42, I think you are completly right. 1:1 is all about the size of the image on the lens referred to 35mm. And for M43 you should calculate that with a factor 2. But than again you are talking about cropfactor now and that is than somethng different in terms of Macro photography. A nice explanation on that issiue you can find here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/realmacro/discuss/72157607256611982/
1:1 is 1:1 whether it is medium format, large format or the tiny m4/3rds.

The magnification does not change with the sensor size.

JerryMK

1:1 is 1:1 whether it is medium format, large format or the tiny m4/3rds.

The magnification does not change with the sensor size.
Right, that is why I am saying you are talking cropfactor now. So the 1:1 picture taken with a m4/3 is 1:1 but on 35mm scale cropped.