Site Sponsors

Thread: Tilt/Shift versus G1 - question

Post Thanks / Like

Tilt/Shift versus G1 - question

Okay, so I was thinking about this because of the talk that has gone on here about T/S adapters possibly coming for m4/3. And, I am familiar with the concepts as to what can be achieved specifically with tilting a lens.

But then I started confusing myself when I started to think that effectively, don't you achieve the same results by tilting the camera backplane? So, if the point of tilting a lens is to shift the focal plane of the lens, can't you achieve effectively the same effect by taking advantage of the G1 swivel screen, tilting the camera while still being able to view your image? Or is the actual effect achieved by having the focal plane of the lens tilted with respect to the sensor/film?

Even as I write this, I am sure I have thought to long on this and twisted it around .. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks,

Doug
    Last edited by greypilgrim; 27th September 2009 at 08:42. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tilt/Shift versus G1 - question

Hi

I'll have a go ...

firstly there are "center" and "base" tilts ... lets go with center as its more simple to comprehend and more closely resembles what most "tilt shift" 35mm lenses do.

assuming you focus on something mid distance as you tilt the top of the lens forward (or down) the foreground comes more into focus and the background does too .

essentially there is no 'rear' tilt available

also, you can do what you like with the swivel screen but the relationship between lens and sensor remain the same
    Last edited by pellicle; 27th September 2009 at 09:33.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot with a tilt shift lens but can't explain it simply. Here's a go at it--its about using view cameras with movement, but there's a lot to gain from reading it and checking out some of the links.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...focus.html#ref

Post Thanks / Like

ohh

perhaps its worth mentioning that one of the purposes is to bring more into focus than can be brought into focus with simply stopping down. I guess that once you got to pinhole sizes of stopping down you would have similar depth of field, but then you'd loose the advantage of having a lens.

pinhole is not sharp due to the effects of diffraction.

perhaps this blog page of mine is helpful?

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/05...asonic-g1.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greypilgrim View Post
    Or is the actual effect achieved by having the focal plane of the lens tilted with respect to the sensor/film?
    yes ... that is correct ... why not make up your own basic system and experiment?

I munged up something like this from a bicycle tube.

some samples: