The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is GF1 is E-P1 killer?

Brian Mosley

I'm sorry Vivek, I drifted completely off topic - the illustration above is of PhotoAcute distortion/CA correction.

Here's an example of E-P1 high ISO.

ISO 4000

Cheers

Brian

Martin S

Brian:

Just PhotoAcute's site - no listing for Panasonic G1, or Olympus E-P1.

Which version are you using??

Thanks.

Martin

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Indeed. Getting out of the chair would have allowed for a better framing or atleast better cropping possibilities after the capture.

Not bad for a shot while enjoying a beverage.

Reminds of one my shots when my rear was glued to the steps I was sitting on and not capturing the scene from a better angle.

Vivek,

That's a very good image....
Yer eyes are wide awake...........
shooter

nostatic

Vivek,

That's a very good image....
Yer eyes are wide awake...........
shooter
Not to be argumentative, but can you help me understand why you think it is a good image? I know all of this is subjective, but when I look at this my eyes are immediately drawn to the blown out upper portion of the image, and in order to see the "action" (boy with gun), I really have to force myself to look around the image and readjust. My first inclination is to glance and then dismiss.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Funny thing...I originally posted...
"That's a very good sleeper".....
I changed it on second thought....

Well....I'll try....the white area you see and are drawn to is in contrast to the lower right dark are and that creates some eye travel...The innocent people walking as if unaware of a gun behind them....let alone a child holding it...POINTING IT!

I see a detachment in the relationship of the 3 people.....Maybe the child wants a real gun...it just wakes up thoughts in my mind...

the eye travel works well and moves thru the entire image with minimal interruptions.....

I love the shape of the bag the man is carrying that goes nicely with his feet...and the lines of the woman's top that forces the eye travel left to right and back again BUT...

her position in the door frame supports the vertical lines of the other door/window frames...
That is a dangerous device because it could easily pull the eye travel out of the frame....

it's a nice slice of daily life that could be anywhere/anytime in this modern day world....

There is no sign of Vivek in the image except for the image....

Hope that helps...
Yeah, I know.....I'm crazy as they get....
shooter

V

Vivek

Don, Thanks for the kind words.

The reason I was not satisfied was the clutter of bikes in the background influencing the shot quite a bit (why I posted this for Kevin).

I shot this a little over an year ago in Barcelona. It took me several months after that to what I should have done better. The gear I used was OK. A slightly wider angle and getting a bit closer would have helped but I was sitting down which to me was the crucial (-ve) factor in bagging this.

The blown top that attracted nostatic is of no concern to me.

kevinparis

Ok

I shoot then crop later...have no fear of cropping.... rely on whatever artistic eye i have to decide the right composition

1) is original shot
2) is the one i should have posted... but was so excited i had finally tamed the e-p1
3) is a radical crop.. that i dont like but shows how a picture can have a multitude of interpretations

thoughts and comments welcome

cheers
K

kevinparis

just for interest here is my crop on viveks post... sorry for cropping most of the watermark

cheers

K

Last edited:
V

Vivek

No worries K. That shot was forgotten for what it is but I like it for the lessons I learned after reviewing it. :)

This one is no crop, the whole frame with resize. Could have done a better job on the focus bit.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Kevin,

Well, ya asked soooo.

In your image, the 1st one...it works as is....I know...but bear with me....
The eye travel goes from the woman on the left....kinda "U" movement to the man in the rear then to the subject and the girl....

THEN............

travels down the girls arm to the BIKE....to the MUFFLER...that sends ya over to the woman on the left again cause the muffler is in direct connection with the back of the chair.....
but...it moves to her arm that's out of the frame....(TENSION)...to the little man in back and all over again....

the subject of the ball and heads works in kinda oval direction all by it self...thus your need to just have that in the image....(#3)....
without the bike (#2)...the right side is weak and does not let the eye explore......plus is supports the black of the woman on the left....

sumptin like dat!

kevinparis

so what .. there is an unwritten rule about cropping someone elses photos for purely illustrative /educational purposes?

sorry if i transgressed that rule

k

kevinparis

street

ok... out of sync here.. but hear what you are saying... so my first choice was right :)

heheheheh

photography is so much fun

k

nostatic

Funny thing...I originally posted...
"That's a very good sleeper".....
I changed it on second thought....

Well....I'll try....the white area you see and are drawn to is in contrast to the lower right dark are and that creates some eye travel...The innocent people walking as if unaware of a gun behind them....let alone a child holding it...POINTING IT!

I see a detachment in the relationship of the 3 people.....Maybe the child wants a real gun...it just wakes up thoughts in my mind...

the eye travel works well and moves thru the entire image with minimal interruptions.....

I love the shape of the bag the man is carrying that goes nicely with his feet...and the lines of the woman's top that forces the eye travel left to right and back again BUT...

her position in the door frame supports the vertical lines of the other door/window frames...
That is a dangerous device because it could easily pull the eye travel out of the frame....

it's a nice slice of daily life that could be anywhere/anytime in this modern day world....

There is no sign of Vivek in the image except for the image....

Hope that helps...
Yeah, I know.....I'm crazy as they get....
shooter
Thanks for the explanation. I think it is just down to personal bias as well as the way people see/scan. Even with Kevin's crop the blown out top overwhelms my eye and I have to force myself to see the point of the shot. The gun barrel is rather lost in the shadow so I am forced to extrapolate - but again, my eye keeps getting distracted by the top of the screen.

But that is the beauty of art. It is different things to different people. I have plenty of my own shots that I love and some people also love but others don't really see much of anything or don't like them. That doesn't make them less relevant. I like the intent of this shot, but the way that my eye and brain work makes it difficult for me to engage it.

kevinparis

I am loving how this thread ... which started as a 'gear war' thread has mutated through discussions on wine to an analysis of composition....

gotta love get DPI...

K

nostatic

I am loving how this thread ... which started as a 'gear war' thread has mutated through discussions on wine to an analysis of composition....

gotta love get DPI...

K
it's no DPR

(and that's a good thing).

Actually there are some aspects to the image that I quite like. As street pointed out, the bag the guy is carrying has great geometry, and I love how the boy is caught in a shaft of light.

I'm wondering if this was either shot at a wider aperture or with a bigger sensor (to give less DOF) if the background would have washed a bit more and my eye wouldn't get caught up in it so much. Or perhaps I just just up my dosage :thumbup:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
it's no DPR

(and that's a good thing).

Never will be. But Terry gets the credit for watching this one and a good reason she is a moderator.

I think a lesson here is these are 1000 dollar units built and made mostly for the consumer . They will never be made of gold, silver or platinum and as much as a OEM tries to make them very good they will always run into the investment per unit going in. They do a very very good job of it but we have to remember our expectations as well and mostly everyone on this forum is NOT the typical consumer shopper. Most people here are much more advanced in there photography education and artistic abilities. Getting features and functions that make sense to the advanced shooter is not always what they put into these machines either and you folks are making a basic machine into something even more special for your uses and that is a great thing to do but with that limitations of unit creep in as well. So some features for some folks may seem great and for others seem like a basic washboard trying to wash cloths in a creek 5 miles down the road. Some things that may help is trying to keep a balance on what works and what does not and finding ways to work around them, I have said many times as a Pro our job is problem solving. Nothing different here as well and when I look at this forum I am amazed of what you folks are doing with basically a advanced P&S camera. First give yourself a pat on the back for that you deserve it but you also have to remember you can only squeeze so much out of them and your opinions on any one of them will vary just as much as diverse you are as people. That my friends is what makes us special is our diversity and I see that in this forum everyday and don't lose sight of that. At 5pm we all are at the bar having a drink and a laugh with each other. Oh and BTW I want a GF-1 too. LOL