The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is GF1 is E-P1 killer?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
To get the thread back on topic, I received a GF1 w/17mm today from Panasonic and I set out to do a comparison between it and the E-P1. I was checking exposure, noise, JPGs, raws, white balance, focus speed, etc. All of the testing was done using the Panasonic 17mm f1.7 lens. What I have found is interesting. I have comparison images in LR so that you can see what I am seeing.

Some of the results were surprising to me and might be to some of you. Each camera has pluses and minuses and deciding which are critical to you (or me) can be difficult as I want it all as I am sure many of you do too.

I have to run out now as my better half is beckoning me to go to dinner so I will work on this when I get back and post the results in a new thread.
John,

Actually, with the name of this thread and the discussion, I'd love to see your results from both cameras posted here. It's your choice.
Don

m3photo

Here to Learn

Actually this discourse has been quite helpful and I have much better clarity that I can hopefully apply to my shots. ../.. I'm far from a technical shooter, as I break a lot of rules and don't bother to control things I could. My reaction was less from a technical analysis but rather just my visceral response to the image.
I'll second these very same words as I'm sure many others will. This is precisely why many return here on a daily basis and tend to shy away from the likes of DPR where nowadays one learns very little and sharing is a thing of the past.

m3photo

Re: Alcohol

Alcohol fixes EVERYTHING... Well not really but it is known as liquid courage in some places.
The best definition I've ever seen was scrawled in the men's in a pub in the Strand:
"Reality is an Illusion Produced by the Lack of Alcohol". I thought it fitted quite nicely in the philosophy of photography and makes me chuckle to see you folk talking of unwinding at the bar;)

G

Gakuranman

Kevin....
Simple setup...

Fn button has screen on/off....
17mm, finder on top....
AF is at AEL...
sleep off...(now it works so ya can set it how ya like)
A mode generally f11...
(I am about 6' tall, if I hold the camera level to my eyes, point to the ground..and hit AF...I am at hyperfocal distance for f11...give me about 2.75' to Paris....)
Iso to support f11...generally 400-800 in good light...

then just walk around.....1 cup Kona with some Bailey's to taste....

The camera will respond instantly on release.....every once in a while I hit the release about 1/2 just to make sure she's awake....

This way works great as the camera is always awake and it can wait for me to wake up.....
Shoot
This is great advice! I have been considering how to use the PEN as a street-cam. I wonder if you wouldn't mind me asking about hyperfocal distances though, or direct me to a site that explains them. In my naivety I wonder why just focussing at infinity wouldn't achieve the same effect as focussing at the floor 6 feet below..?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I will try....
At hyper focal you get everything in a focus zone from 1/2 the Hyper focal distance to infinity.

So at f11 for example with the Pen and 17mm,
your good from about 2.75' out.
By focusing at a different distance you start to loose the foregroung and/or infinity.

There's talk bout diffraction as you use smaller f stops but I ain't never seen it but I hear stories about it. I think it's bunk myself...
But I'm always diffracted. We don't have that stuff here in Philly.

Remember, we live in/by the inverse square law.
Less is more/ more is less.

I will post the distances for you if you like for each f stop.
Shooter

G

Gakuranman

I will try....
At hyper focal you get everything in a focus zone from 1/2 the Hyper focal distance to infinity.

So at f11 for example with the Pen and 17mm,
your good from about 2.75' out.
By focusing at a different distance you start to loose the foregroung and/or infinity.

There's talk bout diffraction as you use smaller f stops but I ain't never seen it but I hear stories about it. I think it's bunk myself...
But I'm always diffracted. We don't have that stuff here in Philly.

Remember, we live in/by the inverse square law.
Less is more/ more is less.

I will post the distances for you if you like for each f stop.
Shooter
I'd really appreciate if you could post those distances! It's a little late now, so I'm going to read over what you wrote again tomorrow :)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Here they are for the 17mm on the Pen....

f stop Hyper focal Distance

2.8 ..... 22.4'
4.0 ..... 15.9'
5.6 ..... 11.2'
8.0 ..... 7.96'
11.0 ..... 5.6'
16.0 ..... 4.01'

Remember that at any of the given distances the depth of field covers from 1/2 that distance to infinity.
(For some reason unknown to me, this is supposed to work in meters too....)

Any other questions, I am at your service....
shooter

M

meilicke

Shooter, what is the formula? I guess I could look it up :). It is interesting because the f stop and distance pattern.

-Scott

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The formula?
The law actually. I try never to break it cause then I would need AF.

Try to see it as.... Changing f stops brings the DOF nearer to you. Infinity is always at the other end. So you determine how close you want to be to keep things in...
Then adjust the f stop to suite.
There is a mathamatical formula but it has nothing to do with making images.
The table above is the result of the formula.

Check out dofmaster.com
shooter

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ m3photo:

"Reality is for those who can't handle drugs!"

Graffito I saw one that appealed immensely.

If anyone has the hyperfocal distances for the 20mm lens, I will be grateful (I assume they are fairly close to the ones for the 17, above).

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Here ya go...
20mm
f stop Focus distance

1.7 .... 52.1'
2.0 .... 43.8'
2.8 .... 31'
4.0 .... 21.9'
5.6 .... 15.5'
8.0 .... 11'
11.0 .... 7.8'
16.0 .... 5.53'

As before, for some reason it works in meters too....
Ya can see that the 20mm will be slightly challenging on the streets...
The reason I sold my DP2....even with the finder, it's a struggle to get the world in focus...

shooter

RichA

If the GF1 is only "slightly faster" to focus than the E-P1, then Panasonic did something wrong because the G1 is to the E-P1 what a Ferrari is to a GM Saturn, if you're talking about focusing speed. The latest firmware upgrade also vastly improved the low-light focusing of the G1 so it now keeps up with my Nikon D300, with the same f-ratio lens.

Brian Mosley

If the GF1 is only "slightly faster" to focus than the E-P1, then Panasonic did something wrong because the G1 is to the E-P1 what a Ferrari is to a GM Saturn, if you're talking about focusing speed. The latest firmware upgrade also vastly improved the low-light focusing of the G1 so it now keeps up with my Nikon D300, with the same f-ratio lens.
I suspect the lens is limiting the CDAF speed... The GF1 should be much faster with the Lumix 14-45 than the E-P1 with the 14-42. To get a true idea of the body differences, you'd need to use the same lens on each body.

The GF1 will still be "slightly faster" but it seems the 20mm f1.7 pancake is using slower, noisier focusing motors presumably due to size constraints... the same route taken by Olympus for their first two kit lenses.

I would personally love a prime, High Grade 17mm f2 with fast focusing motors - forget the pancake design, give me a lens with beautiful bokeh and great IQ.

Kind Regards

Brian

m3photo

Reality

@ m3photo:

"Reality is for those who can't handle drugs!"

Graffito I saw one that appealed immensely.
Very good, yes.
My favourite was on a Canadian girl's T-Shirt about 30 years ago:
"Having abandoned the search for truth, I'm now looking for a damn good fantasy".
Funny that, I started taking pictures around then ...

G

Gakuranman

Here ya go...
20mm
f stop Focus distance

1.7 .... 52.1'
2.0 .... 43.8'
2.8 .... 31'
4.0 .... 21.9'
5.6 .... 15.5'
8.0 .... 11'
11.0 .... 7.8'
16.0 .... 5.53'

As before, for some reason it works in meters too....
Ya can see that the 20mm will be slightly challenging on the streets...
The reason I sold my DP2....even with the finder, it's a struggle to get the world in focus...

shooter
Thanks for posting these! This does make it more difficult to do street shooting - but why are the focal lengths so different? It's only a 3mm difference on the lenses..?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
At f/11 and subject at 6 feet away

17mm
Near limit of acceptable sharpness 2.91 feet
Far limit of acceptable sharpness Infinity
In front of subject 3.1 feet
behind subject infinite
Hyperfocal distance 5.64 feet
Focus at the hyperfocal distance of 5.64 feet and DOF extends from 2.82 feet to infinity

20mm
Near limit of acceptable sharpness 3.39 feet
Far limit of acceptable sharpness 25.8 feet
In front of subject 2.6 feet
Behind subject 19.8 feet
Hyperfocal distance 7.8 feet
Focus at the hyperfocal distance of 7.8 feet and DOF extends from 3.9 feet to infinity

...using DOFMaster.com

Last edited: