The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Legacy lenses for m4/3: which is worth the money and effort?

Michiel Schierbeek

In fact this is a complicated question, because there are many terms where upon one can like or need a legacy lens. In deed it is, as Godfrey states a question of your needs and desires.
The charm of this system (for me) is the possibility to use almost any lens ever made.
But everybody will tell you the outcome of his/her needs and accidental findings , although there is of course a consensus about the quality of certain lenses.

So for my needs and interests, like harbourshots where you can't get close to the subjects anymore since 9-11 , I don't need necessarily fast glass but tele and sharp glass and make use of DOF. I can take my time and make use of a tripod, if needed.
For this purpose I like my;
Leica APO Telyt 180/3.4 and Elmarit 135/2.8
OM 200/4
Zeiss sonnar 180/2.8 and 135/3.5

For my other interest bokehgraphy and especally smooth ( abstract ) colour transitions I like and need fast glass.
For this I like:
Revuenon 55/1.2 ( really nice lens)
Nikon Nikkor-P.C 105/2.5 and Nikkor-H 50/2
And recent additions but not much experience with yet;
Canon FD 85/1.2 and 135/2

These are my main considirations for these preferences.
But there are a lot of possible arguments for other lenses like size and weight and the way they draw the OOF areas. ( For this I like my Schneider Xenar 50/2.8 for example)
For street photography, not my biggest interest, the outcome would probably be completly different.
So what I want to say any advice is subjective, but out of it all you can make up your mind, so it will fit best to your own interst.

Cheers, Michiel

Y.B.Hudson III

re...C-m0unt..."the best ones are pretty expensive on e~pay"... a 25mm steLLar performer sold for $20± this am, and a 75mm that puts t' Summilux to shame is offered at $99...

Hudson...

apicius9

re...C-m0unt..."the best ones are pretty expensive on e~pay"... a 25mm steLLar performer sold for $20± this am, and a 75mm that puts t' Summilux to shame is offered at $99...

Hudson...
Just curious, which lenses are you referring to? No worries, I'm done buying ;) - unless it's an Angenieux for $99...

Stefan

V

Vivek

I think Hudson is referring to 25/1.3 Computar and 75/1.3 Navitar lenses.

BTW, I keep getting queries on these lenses via PM and other means.

Those who are really keen on getting them, get them and use them. The rest just keep ruminating.

apicius9

Thanks Vivek. I still have not dared modifying my Computar, maybe I'll find someone with a lathe - unfortunately, I mostly know woodworkers, not sure if that will work :) I also had looked at the Navitar a few times, but I am wondering whether it really adds something that the Kern macro Switar 75/1.9 at a much smaller size doesn't do - can it really be used wide open?

That said, using old glass on the m4/3 is at least half the fun IMHO. I see the point that smaller lenses match the general idea the best, that's why I played around quite a bit with c-mount lenses. The quality really varies quite a bit, but there are a few gems among them in all price categories. But I also have to say that the hunt for the great fast 25mm lens has lost a bit of steam after the excellent 20/1.7 came out... I also really like the Pen F lenses from looking at them, but they have moved out of my price range. I have a few Canon FDs that I don't use very often, maybe because they are a bit clunkier, but what I have seen so far really didn't look bad at all. For some reason, I have never in my life tried a Zeiss lens, so that is still on my to do list (any recommendations in the affordable 50-60mm or shorter range?). Finally, while a bit big & heavy, I really love my Summicron 50 R on the G1/GH1, it just feels like such a quality piece, I wish I could afford the 35mm Summilux...And if I had access to a set of Leica Ms, I would definitely use them.

Stefan

Y.B.Hudson III

There is no need to modify the Computar, there is a simple adjustment to the focus helicoil stop that will give infinity focus plus close focusing range the same as the switar 26mm macro; or you can use the "MS optical adapter" with out modifications, or adjustments.

The Navitar TV lens 75mm 1.3; also badged as Machine Vision Lens 75mm 1.3; and Computar TV Lens 75mm 1.3.is very sharp with good contrast and bokeh, though it is a beast...about the same size as the summilux 75, and slightly lighter than the noctilux.

I find the panny 20 1.7 to be practically useless...the manual fly by wire, and auto focus are clumsy and frustrating in dynamic situations.

Hudson

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Hudson, Have you tried it (20/1.7) reversed? Absolutely a stunning macro lens!

There was an old Zeiss Macro (I never had the chance to use it) that is reputed to be stellar. The reversed Pana 20/1.7 has the exact lens design of that macro. ;)

kevinparis

As Michiel says everybody has different needs from their lenses, legacy or otherwise

Best legacy lens for me so far is the OM 24/2... its proving to be great both on the E-P1 as a fastish normal lens and a great WA on the FF Canon 5D
I have created a couple of sets on my flickr page that gather all my E-P1 shots and my Legacy Lens shots together. Some of you may have seen most of these but it might make a useful reference to others
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/sets/72157623249659358/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/sets/72157622730407793/

cheers

K

Michiel Schierbeek

Hello Kevin, really nice set of photographs on flickr. You're so good with those lenses in evening streetwork.

May be I should move this question to the Canon forum but I am just very curious, and others here too I hope, if the Canon 5D MarkII brings you more quality with legacy lenses, because they are actually made for FF cameras.
I ask this because I have been thinking about the same move for some time now, although I would have to get used to walking around with such a big hump again.
But for work, where you can take your time, it would be great to get the maximum out of all those legacy lenses, which I enjoy so much already.
The Canon mount does have a lot of adapter possibilitys.

To put it shortly; does the 5D bring you where you hoped for?

Cheers, Michiel

kevinparis

Michiel

thanks for the compliments

The 5D experience so far has been a positive one... apart from aching arms :)

Its been over 10 years since I last shot on full frame - and that was on film , with lesser lenses, so my point of reference is a little hazy.

I have just got my first adapters in the last week or so , and dull and inclement weather has restricted my use of the legacy lenses so far, but the few shots I have done with the OM24/2 have been very encouraging.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/sets/72157623230608168/

The reduced depth of field does make a big difference in adding a degree of separation to the images. I was surprised that you could get bokeh even with a 24mm at f2.

Another big plus of the 5D is the higher ISO... shooting at 1600 becomes the norm for me.

Maybe the only thing I miss is the inbody IS... but you cant have everything.

Will I be getting rid of my Olys?... no way!!!!. The 510 with the 12-60 and 50-200 still make a great holiday/sports events type platform. The E-P1 is the grab and go camera even with legacy lenses.

The canon will let me explore my lens collection, and will be there for when I need that extra edge.

cheers

K

apicius9

Hudson, Have you tried it (20/1.7) reversed? Absolutely a stunning macro lens!
What's the best way to use the lens reversed - is there a reverse macro adapter that I didn't see? I just ordered one in 52mm, hadn't even thought about reversing the pancake.

Stefan

M

MrAdrenalin

Hi Y.B.Hudson III,

Could you please make a guide or describe more in detail about the helicoil adjustment for the computar 25mm 1.3 and what c-mount adapter to you use with that adjustment?

Would also love a detailed description of the conversion of the navitar 75mm 1.3 since I have that one as well just waiting to be used.

It would make my week here in the dark and cold and give you a free dinner if you ever visit Sweden. :)

Have you tried the computar MC TV 135mm 1.8 by the way or the navitron 12.5mm 1.3?

/Magnus

M

MrAdrenalin

And i see in your flickrstream that you have a 50mm 1.3 computar as well. Have you tried the fujinon 50mm 1.4 and how do they compare? Do you have more pictures with all mentioned lenses? I would love to se the bokeh and handling in making portraits. :)

/Magnus

K

klythawk

What's the best way to use the lens reversed - is there a reverse macro adapter that I didn't see? I just ordered one in 52mm, hadn't even thought about reversing the pancake.

Stefan
If you have the 52mm reverse adapter, all you need to reverse the 20mm pancake is a 46mm to 52mm step up adapter. :thumbup:

John.

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel

Will I be getting rid of my Olys?... no way!!!!. The 510 with the 12-60 and 50-200 still make a great holiday/sports events type platform. The E-P1 is the grab and go camera even with legacy lenses.

The canon will let me explore my lens collection, and will be there for when I need that extra edge.

cheers

K
Kevin,

Thanks for your experiences this far.
Yes multi platform is the way to go, when one has the dough.:D
I'll see what I do, the lenses will stay. Would like a full frame body with a EVF, with lots of adapters. Sure it will come, but when?

Cheers, michiel

apicius9

If you have the 52mm reverse adapter, all you need to reverse the 20mm pancake is a 46mm to 52mm step up adapter. :thumbup:

John.
:eek: Thanks - it was almost 1am when I wrote the question, I'd like to think that I would have come to that thought myself in the daylight ;)

Stefan

CPWarner

Is anyone using a Canon FD 100mm F2.0 or a FD 135mm F2.8? In particular are they using it on a GF1 or EP1 or EP2? I am looking for a faster telephoto lens that is reasonably priced and small.

Cliff

Diane B

Is anyone using a Canon FD 100mm F2.0 or a FD 135mm F2.8? In particular are they using it on a GF1 or EP1 or EP2? I am looking for a faster telephoto lens that is reasonably priced and small.

Cliff
I have the FD 135 f/2.8. I haven't used it on a GF1, only my G1. Mine was very reasonable from KEH--a few scratches on the 'self' metal hood (retractable), but otherwise in great condition. I have a few 135 shots in my G1/FD gallery but I'm not a big tele shooter so it doesn't get used too much. I just mounted it on the GF1 and actually its quite nice--its a case of supporting it by the lens--and then it feels nicely balanced. The fact that they are so reasonably priced, easy to find--and nice to shoot is a plus if you want a faster longer lens.

I was going to include a couple with the lens--and I've shot with it with extension tubes also---but Pbase appears to be doing something with their site :(. All in all, I can say that I like the lens, would buy it again--and now that I've tried it on the GF1, might just stick it in my bag next time out with it.

Diane

Eastwestphoto

To the entire Micro four thirds DSLR camera users in Olympus & Lumix, This is a broadband reply to all threads in the m4/3 rds. Most all the info I have read seems to be tunnel vision to comparing 1980's SLR lenses with modern kit lenses on these cameras new DSLR m4/3 rd cameras. That’s totally missing the point of why M4/3 rds adapting is such a raging fade worldwide. Photography is about the image, with soul, spirit and alluring timelessness. A modern computer designed zoom lens long ago sacrificed, flare, chromatic aberration, edge to edge sharpness, distortion and especially resolution to the annuals of mediocrity. Taking a sharp perfect image is not being a good photographer. Any fool can use a modern digital camera in auto mode and get a product. Where is the art in that?
Enter now into the realm of the bizarre, search for Cmt. and old rangefinder lenses that take you back to the twilight zone! Photo’s with Tons of flare, ghost images, wild bohken, and with unbelievable sharpness in the center. Uncoated lenses are so impressionistic, they rule the modern world of lens, and you have to experiment, buy adapters for your m4/3 rds camera and get great grandfathers lenses. Attempt bizarre couplings like a Old Delft Rayxar 50mm F: 0.75 on a m4/3 rd's camera and see the results.
I have tested over 75 different lenses now, many lenses of the early 1930's~1965 have 5x the resolution of today’s lenses and that’s why they are such hot sellers on eBay. True they have 16 aperture blades, create wild bohken and have distortion and flare; so what, the images are creative, unusual, interesting and very saleable. That’s the point of photography to those that understand it well, to shoot a photo in the surreal,,,,,,,, Don