Site Sponsors

Thread: Can G1/GF1 be used for kid photography?

Post Thanks / Like

Can G1/GF1 be used for kid photography?

Is G1/GF1 fast enough for candid kid photography...have 18 months kid will it be good enough to capture her growing days

Ranger 9

Re: Can G1/GF1 be used for kid photography?

I would think so. I've used it successfully for dance photography and other kinds of fast-paced candid shooting. The shutter lag is a bit longer than that of, say, the Nikon D300 I also use, but you can learn to "lead" most action enough to catch it. The AF is reasonably quick, and I'd think the sophisticated focus-tracking features would be helpful for kid photography.

ChrisJ

I would think so, the shutter lag is minimal on the G1, if you use manual focus and prefocus the lens that will minimise shutter lag to virtually zero. Even with auto focus on the G1 is as quick as most DSLR's.

Chris

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sagar.rj View Post
    Is G1/GF1 fast enough for candid kid photography...have 18 months kid will it be good enough to capture her growing days
    People were taking pictures of their kids with manual focus film camera long long ago. I have tried it with a 4X5 Polaroid converson. It just takes a bit more effort to get a good image. A auto everything Nikon/Canon entry level DSLR will allow just about anyone to take a sharp snapshot of their kids in most conditions ..... Doing the same with a G1 is not the same, it takes more work. For me, this slowing down a bit often leads to more interesting photogrpahs, and less snapshots. Having to use diffirent techniques to get the photo is not always a bad thing.

Dave