The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone bought a GF-1 with the "optional" EVF?

V

Vivek

Just wondering if that thing is being bought with the GF or considered as an unwanted/expensive doodah..

Diane B

I have the EVF ordered from Robert/Monza. I don't think the GF1 will be useful for me without its addition at times. I don't plan to use it all the time, but if I have only it and not the G1 with me....
I also have a CV 35mm which works okay for 17 and 20, but I'd rather use the EVF--I think LOL. We'll see. Its not available here in the US to buy at this time anyhow.

Diane

V

Vivek

I am not surprised that you are getting one, Diane. Let us know how that compares with that of the G1's integral EVF.

Also, as you mention the optical view finders, I wonder if this optional EVF would be compatible with similar future cams with no EVF.

I think Pana ought to clarify if that would be the case. Otherwise, it is a 1/2 year life expectancy gizmo (surely there will be a G2, GF2, EP2 etc in 6months) etc with a steep price.

If the "optional" EVF is not usable on the future m4/3rds cameras then its real value is much less than that of a dumb optical finder.

Incompatible technology is no joy.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm getting one from Monza, too. I don't consider this a 6 month camera. The G1 is still going strong after 11 months and my other two digital cameras are much older technology. I also consider that the EVF is just a part of this camera. If I sell the GF1 at some point, I'll sell the EVF with it.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have ordered the Helios finder; it has a number of frame line in it, and when I receive it, I will plot these against the 14-45 kit lens.

And as I posted on another thread: where are you folk buying your GF1s???

V

Vivek

I have ordered the Helios finder; it has a number of frame line in it, and when I receive it, I will plot these against the 14-45 kit lens.
An AF P$S camera?

RonSmith

I also have the GF1 and the EVF on order from Robert.

As I like using my Leica lenses on my G1 and intend to do the same with the GF1, the EVF is an important feature for me.

Diane B

I'm getting one from Monza, too. I don't consider this a 6 month camera. The G1 is still going strong after 11 months and my other two digital cameras are much older technology. I also consider that the EVF is just a part of this camera. If I sell the GF1 at some point, I'll sell the EVF with it.
I don't either Cindy. I'm shooting with a 4 yr. old 5D--and my other 2 EF bodies are older technology, my G1 is from late December and I don't have any plans to upgrade it even if something else comes out. I did upgrade in earlier times because technology was moving so quickly and you could see quite significant improvements from model to model. Now--the G1 is only going to be improved incrementally and that won't tempt me. Same with the GF2 I expect. (Just reread Vivek's comments--I think he's questioning whether the EVF will be FORWARD compatible--I would hope--though I suspect that it won't matter to me--if I get along with the camera it will likely be around a good while without upgrading).

I do hope that if a better EVF comes out, it is able to be used with the GF1, but if not--if I find this one acceptable, then it will be fine for a good long while--or, if like Cindy, I would sell it the EVF would go along. I already know the IQ will be fine--just curious to see how I get along with the camera generally otherwise.

Like Ron I plan to carry at least one MF lens with me so the EVF seems important. I noted that Michael Reichman had the EVF for his Paris trip and appears to have used it. He doesn't mention using it with his M lenses but infers it would be acceptable with his other comments. I don't always agree with MR but like his reviews since they are hands on in real life circumstances--and he says they are his opinions.

I did note that Cindy used her M lens for the reenactment shots and didn't say anything about problems focusing even with only the LCD. Any comments Cindy??

Diane

Last edited:

Terry

I'm in the same boat with the viewfinder on order.

I think the engineers will continue to work on the technology. This quote was from the GF1 preview "We understand the downgrade from the G1/GH1 (apparently the engineers did try, but it proved impossible to make a removable version)". I an't see them giving up or being satisfied with the current removable one given how well they did on the G1/GH1 version. The port design seems pretty universal.

The camera body I sill like more than the micro 4/3 out today is the Diglux 2/LC1 and I would still welcome a m4/3 variant with EVF

V

Vivek

I think he's questioning whether the EVF will be FORWARD compatible--
That was exactly my question, Diane.

Even a "dumb" optical finder is usable (ie forward and backward compatible). If the EVF can not be plugged into other m4/3rds cams or any future m4/3rds EVF plugged into the older ones then it does make this EVF specific to GF-1.

Once other players (Pentax, Ricoh, Sony, etc, etc) get into the act, we will see the real market value of these.

I do not think we have to wait for long to see that. :)

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
...snip...
I did note that Cindy used her M lens for the reenactment shots and didn't say anything about problems focusing even with only the LCD. Any comments Cindy??

Diane
Diane, I used my Pen-F 60mm f/1.5 manual focus lens. It was much easier to manual focus than on the E-P1 because the focus assist zooms back out automatically when the shutter button is tapped. Final framing can then be tweaked. I think focusing the GF1 will only be a problem in very bright sun. Then I will use the EVF. If I know I will be at an event that will take place outside in very bright sun, then G1 will be the tool of choice. (Maybe that will change after I actually get the EVF on my GF1).

The camera body I sill like more than the micro 4/3 out today is the Diglux 2/LC1 and I would still welcome a m4/3 variant with EVF

Hear, hear! For myself, my 5 years old, 5 Mp Digilux 2 with its newly replaced sensor has all but relegated my fancy G1 with a bunch of adapters to the cupboard...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm in the same boat with the viewfinder on order.

I think the engineers will continue to work on the technology. This quote was from the GF1 preview "We understand the downgrade from the G1/GH1 (apparently the engineers did try, but it proved impossible to make a removable version)". I an't see them giving up or being satisfied with the current removable one given how well they did on the G1/GH1 version. The port design seems pretty universal.

It is a shame that Leica didn't jump into micro 4/3 with this body. It is beautiful.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Vivek wrote:

Quote:

An AF P$S camera?
Why not? I only use finders for framing; it's a simple matter to select an approximate focal length on the barrel, and compare the finder lines with the EVF image. and you can see the AF confirmation light peripherally; at least I can. Not sure what you meant here.

And to others re. the D2/LC1; I had one of the former and two of the latter: I would love one of these in micro 4/3rds too: superb lens.

Godfrey

... The camera body I sill like more than the micro 4/3 out today is the Diglux 2/LC1 and I would still welcome a m4/3 variant with EVF

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/LeicaDigilux2/Images/frontview.jpg
Same here, Terry. I was shooting with the L1 again the other day, the LC1's big brother, and marveling again at the excellence of this design. Fit the G1 EVF and sensor into it, slim it down for micro-FourThirds mount, and I'd be in heaven.

That said, the GF1's smaller, lighter form factor still appeals to me. Kinda like why I still liked shooting with my Rollei 35S even though I had the Leica Ms with Summicron-C 40mm f/2 lens.

D

D.Keymn

Anyone bought a GF 1 with the "optional" EVF

Ive searched the camera/lens database here on Pbase and only find Canon and Nikon users ... just wondering if theres anyone using it in Pentax mount? If so, how is it?

mary in mi at the moment

M

maxpiz

I have a question about the original lumix viewfinder for the GF1: when using manual focus lenses like Leica or Voigtlander (with adapter), the function that magnifies the scene to help focusing also works in the viewfinder?
I know that the resolution of Lumix viewfinder is not very high, but is it enough for manual focusing?
In fact I don't need a viewfinder with millions of points because I think that the viewfinder should be used only for the composition of images. But if it can even focusing well .... is better!
Thanks in advance

Diane B

I use mine mostly with the Konica 40 f/1.8 and FD 35 f/2.8 and 50 f/1.8. I have no issues at all with composing and do manual focus with the EVF, not the LCD.

To use the magnification with MF lenses, you set 'shoot w/o lens' in the menu--and leave it. Then---you just set your aperture on the lens, let the camera meter, etc. and shoot normally. To use the magnification, you push/click the dial and it immediately switches to the magnification--where you can increase it to 10X by dialing up. Very easy. You can't use the LCD/EVF back and forth as you can with the G1/GH1. You just press a button the side of the EVF to return to the LCD--other than that--nothing else to do.

I like it--do I like it as much as the G1? No--but it works okay and I use it 95% of the time. Be sure you set your diopter on the EVF. And--if you want to use the EVF at an angle, you just 'click' it up. There's just a bit of resistance that holds it in place.

Diane