The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G1 with MFT/Leica M adapter

daveproctor

I recently bought a Novoflex adapter so I can use my Leica lenses on my G1

I'd assumed (probably incorrectly) that I could use the focusing scale on the lens rather than having to use the screen which means I can't use hyperfocal focussing as I'd hoped. Novoflex tell me that this is the case but I've heard of some problems with the Novoflex adapters so could someone with some user experience either confirm or deny this?

Thanks

Dave

pellicle

I use hyperfocal focusing on my FD lenses so what's the problem?

the markers are more liberal than my perference but if it stops at or near infinity then it should be pretty good to go...

daveproctor

What I'm saying (and sorry if it wasn't clear) is the lens doesn't focus on the distance indicated on the focussing scale. I wanted to know if this is as it should be or whether there is a problem with the adapter as I have heard there have been

O

OzRay

What I'm saying (and sorry if it wasn't clear) is the lens doesn't focus on the distance indicated on the focussing scale. I wanted to know if this is as it should be or whether there is a problem with the adapter as I have heard there have been
You can't assume that the focus scale will convert precisely. How far off is the focus from the indicated scale and how have you measured this? I use a Voigtlander adapter and find that the scale is reasonably accurate, but I couldn't say that it's precise.

Cheers

Ray

pellicle

Hi

ok ... well it should still be linear on the scale. You might just pencil in the new infinity reference if that's possible.

O

OzRay

A good example is my 15mm which when focussed on an object 20m away shows 1.5m on the scale
I just checked my CV 15mm and it's pretty well accurate, give or take 10cm, when focussing on a close subject. Because of the field of view of this lens, given that it's effectively that of a 30mm on the Pen, there's probably quite a lot of focus movement available at reasonably close distances.

Cheers

Ray

pellicle

A good example is my 15mm which when focussed on an object 20m away shows 1.5m on the scale
sounds like it just needs to be 'honed' to be in more accurate spec. The shorter the focal length lens you have the more some difference in mount thickness will be a problem.

If you need to have 1.5 on the scale to focus at infinity then the lens mount is short. I don't have my calculator here but it sounds like its about .5mm or so too short. I had a problem with an adaptor I got for OM and found that by removing the metal plate, putting a brass shim under and then replacing the plate I got it fine. For instance in this article I discuss some adaptations I made to an OM adaptor to get it right.

PS naturally you need to cut the shim into a circular bit and get it to fit. If you don't have access to brass shim then grab some alloy coke can and carefully cut out the size you need with sissors ... its easy to work with.

PPSS if the makers make the adaptor too long you won't get infinity focus, so making it a weenzy bit short means you will get infinity focus and you can then tune it to your own camera.

The tolerances involved (and the issues of them not being so accurate on electro-mechanical cameras VS mechanical ones) would require finer manufacturing and therefore costs would likely go up...

its not hard to unscrew the plate, shim and then re screw. Just use a little care in tightening the screws ... remember its into alloy .. use a jewelers screwdriver ($10 from local supermarket) and only make it as firm as you can get with two fingers ...

Last edited:

daveproctor

Thanks guys - I've read that Novoflex did make an error with the early production and I think the issue was the adapter was made too short. I bought mine some time ago so it does sound like this might be the problem with mine.

I'll go back to Novoflex and see what they say - it wasn't cheap so I'll be a bit unhappy if they don't sort it

pellicle

I'll go back to Novoflex and see what they say - it wasn't cheap so I'll be a bit unhappy if they don't sort it

ok ... but if you don't get much luck (or the next one's the same) or you're in a 'rush' to try it out try my above suggestions.

good luck

:)

PS .. novoflexs page suggests 150 euro ... so its not 'real dear' by some standards either. (I have a friend with a computer machining business)

Last edited:

daveproctor

I emailed Novoflex who responded rather abruptly advising there were NO issues with their adapters. This is despite the numerous references on the internet to the contrary. They also said the lens would not focus in line with the distance scale on it

So I then emailed Speedgraphic who had sold me the adapter. I had the receipt but had bought it in December 2008. They said Novoflex had not advised them of any problems but asked me to return it to them to check it out.

I sent the adapter on Tuesday and today (Thursday) I received by Special Delivery a brand new replacement adapter. This works perfectly and pictures are absolutely sharp and focussing is bang in line with the scale on the lens

So big thanks for fantastic service from Speedgraphic and shame on you Novoflex for completely denying any problems and telling me a total untruth regarding focussing of the lens