The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 viewfinder

O

OzRay

I can see that after installing this on the camera, only shots with the camera at eye level will be seen in the screen.
Joe
Yes, but that's usually when, if glare is a problem, it will likely occur. Holding the camera down lower will have the body shading the screen.

Cheers

Ray

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Question about that viewfinder.
At the precise moment of exposure, looking thru the finder, can you see or does it block out like an SLR?

simonclivehughes

You can... with a very short delay! We should all be glad that the LCD/EVF doesn't display advertising while we wait. Or maybe they do... "BUY another Panny camera!!" :)

Cheers,

barjohn

On the GF1 with auto review turned off you have a live image in the blink of an eye after pressing the shutter release. With the E-P1 it is about 2 seconds until you have a new live view. I hope it is as quick with the EVF. I can't remember how it was with the G1 but I don't remember it being quite as quick. Maybe someone that has one can chime in.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Well I use the 17mm with the finder on the Pen.
It's the closest I can get to an M camera in this respect. No delay or black out....

Thanks all for the responses....
Shooter

V

Vivek

Hmm...

Guess I'll stay where I'm at...I like to see the Decisive Moment....
I don't know what that is but I would like to have very little response times in my camera.

I have been thinking about the Casio cams. Snap a burst of 100 odd frames in a second and then choose the right "moment" from it.

Thoughts?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Vivek,
What I do is walk the streets, I see something and raise the camera.
As soon as I frame with the finder, I release...it has to be instant for me as I only do 1 frame.
The Pen does that with the finder.....
You know all about that...I SEE your work.

Besides, you shouldn't need any more than 50 frames to select from...
100...that's krazy....
Shooter

V

Vivek

I understood that, Don.

As Ranger 9 articulated here a few times, it is fun (but taxing) to allow for the delay and squeeze the shutter release in anticipation.

Earlier in an outing, it is exciting. After a couple of hours, I get so drained and I wish there is no black out or long shutter delays.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
So, correct me if I wrong.
The EVF kinda makes the camera work like an
SLR. You can see focal length and focus etc but not the
Decisive Moment. I thought you could see all the time with no black out.
That blackout is an issue for me... Especially doing portraits....

barjohn

I'm confused. Is there a greater blackout with the EVF than with the LCD on the rear? On the GF1 it is so fast that I don't consider it an issue on the LCD.

Diane B

On the GF1 with auto review turned off you have a live image in the blink of an eye after pressing the shutter release. With the E-P1 it is about 2 seconds until you have a new live view. I hope it is as quick with the EVF. I can't remember how it was with the G1 but I don't remember it being quite as quick. Maybe someone that has one can chime in.
I just tried it with my G1--I could only get out "1 a (of the and)..." so its pretty quick--seems quicker on GF1---but I'm basing this on my 1 and 2 and....with saying it quite quickly. I'm not a street shooter but it surely isn't an issue for me. For the 2 above----

Diane

V

Vivek

So, correct me if I wrong.
The EVF kinda makes the camera work like an
SLR. You can see focal length and focus etc but not the
Decisive Moment. I thought you could see all the time with no black out.
That blackout is an issue for me... Especially doing portraits....
First off, IMHO, "decisive moment" is over rated. Had this not been attributed to someone famous and had come from someone like "Rockwell", people would have laughed it off.

Second, whether the EVF blacks out or not, you still are dealing with the shutter lag, AF hunt (if used) or the "blink time" delay of the AF lens you use.

Take a look at the 17mm lens mounted on your cam and see what happens when you press the shutter. Even when everything is seemingly manual, the iris opens and closes before the shot is taken.

With manual lenses, this "blink delay" is absent.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
First off, IMHO, "decisive moment" is over rated. Had this not been attributed to someone famous and had come from someone like "Rockwell", people would have laughed it off.

Second, whether the EVF blacks out or not, you still are dealing with the shutter lag, AF hunt (if used) or the "blink time" delay of the AF lens you use.

Take a look at the 17mm lens mounted on your cam and see what happens when you press the shutter. Even when everything is seemingly manual, the iris opens and closes before the shot is taken.

With manual lenses, this "blink delay" is absent.
I got all that and that's why I was seeking a quicker down time.....
I just have to surrender to the camera and stop thinking about my Leica's....but it is extremely painful...
I'm not really talking about the HCB Decisive Moment (more about content)...but then again I am,
I am concerned about down time...or blackout....

I might just sell my wife, kids and grands and get an M9....
shooter

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I got all that and that's why I was seeking a quicker down time.....
I just have to surrender to the camera and stop thinking about my Leica's....but it is extremely painful...
I'm not really talking about the HCB Decisive Moment (more about content)...but then again I am,
I am concerned about down time...or blackout....

I might just sell my wife, kids and grands and get an M9....
shooter
Please don't do that until all this M9 stuff has had time to work it's way through. "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . . "

Keith

V

Vivek

Don, Leica M9- why go there? Summilux-M 50 or Fujinon-TV 50/1.4?:bugeyes:

The choice is quite easy for me.:)

m_driscoll

That is such a nice image Vivek....
Don
Ditto. That's a really nice image.

I ordered the viewfinder today on EBAY and cancelled my order at Amazon. I've been using MF lens on the GH1 and , for me, getting focus can be a challenge. F/1.4 lenses seem to have a micro-sized DOF. Unless I'm looking through the EVF, I can't really, go through the left button/center button/focus ring/release without moving the camera out of focus. Takes practice. Focusing an M8's faster for me (but, I just sold it; so I'll keep practicing).

Anybody zone or pre-focusing with MF lenses on these cameras?

Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/