The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 viewfinder

ecsh

I have to admit that i do not get along with cameras without a viewfinder. I tried with the DLux 4, and even though i put a viewfinder on that camera it was not the same. When i ordered the GF1 from Panny, they still did not have the viewfinder in stock, so off to Ebay to the crooks on there to get one. Well, the camera and viewfinder both arrived today. Delighted with both, but especially the viewfinder. It is alot smaller than i imagined, even after seeing the pics of it. Having it on the camera all the time is not a problem for me. Also, all the info you would normally have on the back viewfinder, is in the EVF, including the histogram, if you so choose. The resolution is really not that much less than the G1 from what i can see, so its really a worthwhile addition to the camera.

So far the only nit is that to review the pic, you have to switch the viewfinder to LCD which is the button on the viewfinder.
Joe

Wonderful, I have been waiting for a report on this thing. Can you give a more detailed description? Is it possible to manual-focus with the viewfinder, or is the resolution inadequate?

I have never used a G1, so I suspect I won't have the opportunity to be disappointed.

V

Vivek

That looks good.

If one wants to attach a flash where would the finder go?

ecsh

If you use a seperate flash, and not the pop up one on the camera, you must choose.
The pop up is actually brighter than i thought. For what i will use the camera for, the viewfinder is more important. I do not believe the viewfinder is good enough for manual focusing, but i base that on my eyes<G>

Diane B

So glad to hear.....

Delighted with both, but especially the viewfinder. Joe

I got my GF1 and 20 today. I love the little camera--I'd still choose the G1 (which I have) if I could only have one, but I do feel I will carry this one everywhere. I don't have a lot of opportunity to shoot what some call 'street' in my part of the world, but when traveling I have more opportunites--and even here except that I've been a bit put off by trying it with a more DSLR style cam or my 5D to try it. I think I can feel more comfortable with this one.

BUT--it was obvious to me as I tried the camera out in my gardens--I need the EVF at times. Sometimes not, but I know I want it available. I tried my CV 35mm finder--works okay but focusing is difficult--and virtually impossible for MF lenses, even shallow DOF AF with the 20.

So--I appreciate your opinions. Hope Robert gets these in soon--guess they will come when they come LOL.

Diane

Diane B

If you use a seperate flash, and not the pop up one on the camera, you must choose.
The pop up is actually brighter than i thought. For what i will use the camera for, the viewfinder is more important. I do not believe the viewfinder is good enough for manual focusing, but i base that on my eyes<G>
Ah, so you don't think it will be good enought for MF?? I was hoping that it would since I plan to carry an MF lens with my 20. I was hoping that the MF assist would be sufficient even with the less good EVF. Michael Reichman on LL used his on his Paris trip and I got the impression that he felt he 'could' use the MF assist with it. Have you tried??? I do understand 'based on my eyes'--that's why I asked if you had used the MF assist. My eyes are 'older' but the diopter on the G1's EVF means I don't have to wear glasses to use--even for MF. Well, guess we'll see when I get mine--at least for me.

Oops--forgot to add about the flash. The only time I use flash/strobes is for my commercial work which I'm pretty well retired from now LOL. I"m mostly 'avallable light', but I did try the flash today in our darkish interiors and it was pretty doggone good with adjustment.

Ah, forgot to ask where you are and where you got the EVF. If you got yours, perhaps Robert in TX will get his soon.

Ha, one MORE question. You mention that you have to switch to LCD to see review. Can you not review at all on the EVF?? I am just now reading the manual--and perhaps it won't even have the EVF info.

Diane

Last edited:

ecsh

Hi Diane
I have never had to MF with the G1 or this camera, since i wear glasses, and never bothered trying. I suppose if you have no issue with the G1, then, it should not be that more difficult with this viewfinder. The resolution is not that far off from what i could see, as i was placing each camera up to my eye to see if there was a major difference in resolution, but, was happy with what i saw.
You are correct about the flash, quite happy with the power it has for the uses it will have, taking some indoor snaps. So far with my playing, when you take a pic using the viewfinder, it shows in the viewfinder, as does all the info about the settings on the camera. If the viewfinder button is turned off, then you can see it on the back, but, they are not both on at the same time. This makes sense since it would be a major distraction for your eye. The viewfinder is not like the G1 where there is a sensor to shut off the back. This is either or.
I got the viewfinder from an Ebay seller in Japan. 3 days from there to me on the east coast is not bad, but you pay the "I want it now" premium in price.
Joe

O

OzRay

Re: So glad to hear.....

BUT--it was obvious to me as I tried the camera out in my gardens--I need the EVF at times. Sometimes not, but I know I want it available. I tried my CV 35mm finder--works okay but focusing is difficult--and virtually impossible for MF lenses, even shallow DOF AF with the 20.

Diane
That's rather baffling. All I use with the Pen are manual focus lenses and I can focus easily. I was led to believe that the higher res screen on the GF1 was suposed to be miles better than the lower res one on the Pen, when it came to MF. Is that not the case?

Cheers

Ray

ecsh

I may be wrong, but i believe Panny may underestimate the amount of these they really will need. There were only 3 for sale in all of Ebay. That is very unusual.
Joe

Diane B

Hi Diane
I have never had to MF with the G1 or this camera, since i wear glasses, and never bothered trying. I suppose if you have no issue with the G1, then, it should not be that more difficult with this viewfinder.
snip

You are correct about the flash, quite happy with the power it has for the uses it will have, taking some indoor snaps. .
Joe
Ah, well I shoot a lot with MF lenses so MF assist is one of those things I just love about the G1--so easy.

I understood from MR's little preview on LL that there was a button on the EVF that could switch from EVF to LCD. That's fine for me. I have my G1 set to be either/or.

I can wait for the EVF from Robert--he's at the mercy of Panasonic LOL.

Diane

ecsh

Ray
I believe Diane was referring to using the viewfinder for MF lenses. If i was wrong, forgive me.
Joe

Diane B

That's rather baffling. All I use with the Pen are manual focus lenses and I can focus easily. I was led to believe that the higher res screen on the GF1 was suposed to be miles better than the lower res one on the Pen, when it came to MF. Is that not the case?

Cheers

Ray
Its not resolution--its glare/greyed out and reflection. Resolution is just fine. If one can choose the light, then its okay (a bit of shadow to stand in, etc., but there will be times when traveling when the choice isn't there). For interior shots, etc.--absolutely no problem MF but its those other times---LCDs, no matter how good, just can't handle some lights, particularly, it seems for some people. Maybe because I'm a VF person, it bothers me more than others or it may be my age, but I want more clarity for MF, composition, etc.

O

OzRay

Its not resolution--its glare/greyed out and reflection. Resolution is just fine. If one can choose the light, then its okay (a bit of shadow to stand in, etc., but there will be times when traveling when the choice isn't there). For interior shots, etc.--absolutely no problem MF but its those other times---LCDs, no matter how good, just can't handle some lights, particularly, it seems for some people. Maybe because I'm a VF person, it bothers me more than others or it may be my age, but I want more clarity for MF, composition, etc.
OK, I thought it was to do with the quality of the screen. I've ordered a fold out shade for my Pen, for those times when there is sufficient glare to make things a nuisance. The shade is much like what I used to use on my Bronica and from the images I saw, it doesn't add much bulk to the camera at all and the shade can easily be removed if needed.

Cheers

Ray

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I used the GF1 quite a bit the other day with my manual Pen-F 60 f/1.5 with no problems except when the sun was really bright. I expect that the EVF will be very nice to have in bright sun, but I plan to just leave it on all of the time.

Ray, your shade should work really well on the E-P1. Please post your thoughts on it after you try it and a pic would be appreciated.

ecsh

I can see that after installing this on the camera, only shots with the camera at eye level will be seen in the screen.
Joe