The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 viewfinder

barjohn

I was just reading over on DPR that one can't macro focus with the EVF. What crap! Attached is an image taken from LR, hand held, manual focused, taken inches from the watch using the EVF in low light.

Last edited:
N

nei1

Im sure that all of you are telling the truth ,depends on your point of view and experience....John,I believe what you say but just because something is possible it doesnt mean its good.The watch doesnt look that sharp to be honest but maybe thats the lens.

Diane B

I posted in that thread. I've used the G1's EVF for macro--and its much easier to shoot than with a FF VF for me. I think there are some that want these little cams to be 'the' camera for everything. I said that its horses for courses--if you shoot primarily macros, you would likely be better off with the G1/GH1 than the GF1 or Pen. That's w/o me having the EVF of course LOL--but I do know that G1's EVF is terrific for macro shooting.

John feels that the GF1's EVF is capable of MF shooting--as have others said the same--so that's all I want or expect. To expect more is setting yourself up for disappointment IMO--I really like the GF1 but for some shooting I will just choose to use the G1. I think a lot of these nutsy threads elsewhere are because people haven't even tried to use the camera to its capabilities and/or they are trying to use the camera for purposes that would be better served by a different camera.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well said Diane and you get the GetDPI smart post of the week. It is what it is and it's a fun camera that can produce a very nice file but like anything else it will have limitations.

Brian Mosley

I just received my EVF and here are my first impressions. The image is much better than I expected based on the specs. The resolution is good enough that you (I) must strain to see the pixels. I have looked at other EVFs like on the Canon Super Zooms and there the pixels are clearly evident, here they are not. The color and brightness appear to be very good and the information display matches the rear LCD. The diopter adjustment worked well. MF appears to be fairly easy both at first level magnification and second level. The tilt feature is super! All in all I am more pleased than I expected to be. While I no longer have my G1 to compare the two side by side, it appears to be very close and it is quick. The black out is identical to the rear LCD, which is a blink with auto review off. It isn't as high a resolution as the back LCD but from a practical standpoint it is close. The only time I see any LCD delay and I see the same delay on both the viewfinder and the rear LCD is in continuous shoot mode shooting RAW + JPG L, until the buffer is empty the LCD staggers (jumps from image to image) well behind where it is optically pointed. In single shot mode it is ready to go faster than I am.

Bottom line I think most of you will really like it and a few of you won't. I like it an it appears that it will do what I need it to do.
Thanks for your honest impressions John, much appreciated... I'm getting used to reading wildly conflicting user impressions these days, I'm not looking to make a purchase, so don't really get too wound up about it.

Cheers

Brian

barjohn

Here are a series of test shots. The first 3 are using the 20mm f1.7. One focused with EVF, one focused with LCD and one focused with AF. Then one of the Leica 40/f2 focused with the EVF and finally one of the Nikon 50/f1.8 focused with the EVF. All shot tripod mounted but at different distances due to the minimum focus distance for these various lenses. I forgot to mention that all of these are 100% crop images

Last edited:

wjlapier

So, I've read those two linked "reviews" of the EVF. Nothing is mentioned of which lens was use to test whether the EVF will be useful for manual focus. Or if legacy lenses were used. Has anyone tested say a c-mount or a M mount lens using the EVF?

wjlapier

Thanx John--you answered my question as I was writing! And your opinion of using the EVF shooting MF lenses? The images look softer than the 20/1.7. Your thoughts?

barjohn

That 20/1.7 lens is very sharp. I shot all of these wide open and the Leica 40/f2 is generally not as sharp as some of the other Leica lenses like the 28/f2.8 ASPH.

Diane B

QUOTE=barjohn;143342]See above. I used both an M mount and a Nikon mount lens.[/QUOTE]

:D:D:D

John, you know we are going to hold your feet to the fire on this one. Dad blame it, if I can't manual focus with it--well, I'm gonna' come getcha' :ROTFL::ROTFL:

O

OzRay

That's interesting, but all these are tests on static subjects (at close distances), not hard to do with either viewfinder. How does that viewfinder work on distant and/or moving subjects, that's where most will likely be using the finder and expecting it to out-perform the rear screen?

Cheers

Ray

barjohn

Ray,
Candidly, I am not fast to focus with either the EVF or LCD in MF mode, nor was I fast enough for moving subjects with the M8. Using it the way I do any of the VFs or LCD it appears to do a decent job. Just for giggles, (not taken at the same time or same shooting angle) here are three shots of my book case with 100% crops, 1st with Leica M8 and I think the 28 f2.8 ASPH, second with the Nikon D90 AF and the third with the GF1 MF using EVF.

Last edited:
O

OzRay

It'll be interesting to see how that eye-point viewfinder performs outdoors in environments where many say they can't use the current viewfinder. That's where I'd guess most are pinning their hopes that it'll work.

Cheers

Ray

wjlapier

That 20/1.7 is sharp, but so is that 28/2.8 ASPH :bugeyes:

John, do you have a sharp 50 cron or lux asph? I'd be curious to see something from either wide open with the EVF, and your opinions on how easy it is to see the image in focus at such a shallow DOF.

I appreciate you doing all these tests. Helps us to make our decision ;)

barjohn

Unfortunately I sold my 50 cron and my 90 cron when I sold my M8. The Nikor 50/1.8 is as close as I can get. I'll go outside and shoot some images with it and try and post them later.

barjohn

Here are some shots taken out doors with the Nikor 50mm f1.8D using the EVF. Where I have two very similar shots the first was taken without screen magnification while doing the MF and the second was taken using the magnified image for focus.

Last edited: