Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GF-1 viewfinder

Post Thanks / Like

GF-1 viewfinder

I have to admit that i do not get along with cameras without a viewfinder. I tried with the DLux 4, and even though i put a viewfinder on that camera it was not the same. When i ordered the GF1 from Panny, they still did not have the viewfinder in stock, so off to Ebay to the crooks on there to get one. Well, the camera and viewfinder both arrived today. Delighted with both, but especially the viewfinder. It is alot smaller than i imagined, even after seeing the pics of it. Having it on the camera all the time is not a problem for me. Also, all the info you would normally have on the back viewfinder, is in the EVF, including the histogram, if you so choose. The resolution is really not that much less than the G1 from what i can see, so its really a worthwhile addition to the camera.

So far the only nit is that to review the pic, you have to switch the viewfinder to LCD which is the button on the viewfinder.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GF-1 viewfinder

Wonderful, I have been waiting for a report on this thing. Can you give a more detailed description? Is it possible to manual-focus with the viewfinder, or is the resolution inadequate?

I have never used a G1, so I suspect I won't have the opportunity to be disappointed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That looks good.

If one wants to attach a flash where would the finder go?

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a seperate flash, and not the pop up one on the camera, you must choose.
    The pop up is actually brighter than i thought. For what i will use the camera for, the viewfinder is more important. I do not believe the viewfinder is good enough for manual focusing, but i base that on my eyes<G>

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That looks good.

If one wants to attach a flash where would the finder go?
    So why didn't the designers/engineers ask that question.....?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    So why didn't the designers/engineers ask that question.....?
    Hmm... I am not a Videographer but a wild guess- maybe Videographers do not need a flash?

Post Thanks / Like

So glad to hear.....

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    Delighted with both, but especially the viewfinder. Joe

I got my GF1 and 20 today. I love the little camera--I'd still choose the G1 (which I have) if I could only have one, but I do feel I will carry this one everywhere. I don't have a lot of opportunity to shoot what some call 'street' in my part of the world, but when traveling I have more opportunites--and even here except that I've been a bit put off by trying it with a more DSLR style cam or my 5D to try it. I think I can feel more comfortable with this one.

BUT--it was obvious to me as I tried the camera out in my gardens--I need the EVF at times. Sometimes not, but I know I want it available. I tried my CV 35mm finder--works okay but focusing is difficult--and virtually impossible for MF lenses, even shallow DOF AF with the 20.

So--I appreciate your opinions. Hope Robert gets these in soon--guess they will come when they come LOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a seperate flash, and not the pop up one on the camera, you must choose.
    The pop up is actually brighter than i thought. For what i will use the camera for, the viewfinder is more important. I do not believe the viewfinder is good enough for manual focusing, but i base that on my eyes<G>
    Ah, so you don't think it will be good enought for MF?? I was hoping that it would since I plan to carry an MF lens with my 20. I was hoping that the MF assist would be sufficient even with the less good EVF. Michael Reichman on LL used his on his Paris trip and I got the impression that he felt he 'could' use the MF assist with it. Have you tried??? I do understand 'based on my eyes'--that's why I asked if you had used the MF assist. My eyes are 'older' but the diopter on the G1's EVF means I don't have to wear glasses to use--even for MF. Well, guess we'll see when I get mine--at least for me.

Oops--forgot to add about the flash. The only time I use flash/strobes is for my commercial work which I'm pretty well retired from now LOL. I"m mostly 'avallable light', but I did try the flash today in our darkish interiors and it was pretty doggone good with adjustment.

Ah, forgot to ask where you are and where you got the EVF. If you got yours, perhaps Robert in TX will get his soon.

Ha, one MORE question. You mention that you have to switch to LCD to see review. Can you not review at all on the EVF?? I am just now reading the manual--and perhaps it won't even have the EVF info.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 30th September 2009 at 15:33. Reason: additional thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Diane
    I have never had to MF with the G1 or this camera, since i wear glasses, and never bothered trying. I suppose if you have no issue with the G1, then, it should not be that more difficult with this viewfinder. The resolution is not that far off from what i could see, as i was placing each camera up to my eye to see if there was a major difference in resolution, but, was happy with what i saw.
    You are correct about the flash, quite happy with the power it has for the uses it will have, taking some indoor snaps. So far with my playing, when you take a pic using the viewfinder, it shows in the viewfinder, as does all the info about the settings on the camera. If the viewfinder button is turned off, then you can see it on the back, but, they are not both on at the same time. This makes sense since it would be a major distraction for your eye. The viewfinder is not like the G1 where there is a sensor to shut off the back. This is either or.
    I got the viewfinder from an Ebay seller in Japan. 3 days from there to me on the east coast is not bad, but you pay the "I want it now" premium in price.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So glad to hear.....

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    So--I appreciate your opinions. Hope Robert gets these in soon--guess they will come when they come LOL.

Diane
    I got up in his grill about it today--when we're done with him he'll be flying to Japan to pick 'em up for us. ;-)

OzRay

BUT--it was obvious to me as I tried the camera out in my gardens--I need the EVF at times. Sometimes not, but I know I want it available. I tried my CV 35mm finder--works okay but focusing is difficult--and virtually impossible for MF lenses, even shallow DOF AF with the 20.

Diane
    That's rather baffling. All I use with the Pen are manual focus lenses and I can focus easily. I was led to believe that the higher res screen on the GF1 was suposed to be miles better than the lower res one on the Pen, when it came to MF. Is that not the case?

Cheers

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong, but i believe Panny may underestimate the amount of these they really will need. There were only 3 for sale in all of Ebay. That is very unusual.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Diane
    I have never had to MF with the G1 or this camera, since i wear glasses, and never bothered trying. I suppose if you have no issue with the G1, then, it should not be that more difficult with this viewfinder.
    snip

You are correct about the flash, quite happy with the power it has for the uses it will have, taking some indoor snaps. .
    Joe
    Ah, well I shoot a lot with MF lenses so MF assist is one of those things I just love about the G1--so easy.

I understood from MR's little preview on LL that there was a button on the EVF that could switch from EVF to LCD. That's fine for me. I have my G1 set to be either/or.

I can wait for the EVF from Robert--he's at the mercy of Panasonic LOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Ray
    I believe Diane was referring to using the viewfinder for MF lenses. If i was wrong, forgive me.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    That's rather baffling. All I use with the Pen are manual focus lenses and I can focus easily. I was led to believe that the higher res screen on the GF1 was suposed to be miles better than the lower res one on the Pen, when it came to MF. Is that not the case?

Cheers

Ray
    Its not resolution--its glare/greyed out and reflection. Resolution is just fine. If one can choose the light, then its okay (a bit of shadow to stand in, etc., but there will be times when traveling when the choice isn't there). For interior shots, etc.--absolutely no problem MF but its those other times---LCDs, no matter how good, just can't handle some lights, particularly, it seems for some people. Maybe because I'm a VF person, it bothers me more than others or it may be my age, but I want more clarity for MF, composition, etc.

OzRay

Its not resolution--its glare/greyed out and reflection. Resolution is just fine. If one can choose the light, then its okay (a bit of shadow to stand in, etc., but there will be times when traveling when the choice isn't there). For interior shots, etc.--absolutely no problem MF but its those other times---LCDs, no matter how good, just can't handle some lights, particularly, it seems for some people. Maybe because I'm a VF person, it bothers me more than others or it may be my age, but I want more clarity for MF, composition, etc.
    OK, I thought it was to do with the quality of the screen. I've ordered a fold out shade for my Pen, for those times when there is sufficient glare to make things a nuisance. The shade is much like what I used to use on my Bronica and from the images I saw, it doesn't add much bulk to the camera at all and the shade can easily be removed if needed.

Cheers

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used the GF1 quite a bit the other day with my manual Pen-F 60 f/1.5 with no problems except when the sun was really bright. I expect that the EVF will be very nice to have in bright sun, but I plan to just leave it on all of the time.

Ray, your shade should work really well on the E-P1. Please post your thoughts on it after you try it and a pic would be appreciated.

OzRay

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    IRay, your shade should work really well on the E-P1. Please post your thoughts on it after you try it and a pic would be appreciated.
    Will do Cindy. It should be here next week.

Cheers

Ray

OzRay

I've posted some photos of the viewfinder attached to the Pen here: http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/sho...402#post432402

Cheers

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I can see that after installing this on the camera, only shots with the camera at eye level will be seen in the screen.
    Joe

OzRay

I can see that after installing this on the camera, only shots with the camera at eye level will be seen in the screen.
    Joe
    Yes, but that's usually when, if glare is a problem, it will likely occur. Holding the camera down lower will have the body shading the screen.

Cheers

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question about that viewfinder.
    At the precise moment of exposure, looking thru the finder, can you see or does it block out like an SLR?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Goes black during the capture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Goes black during the capture.
    Hmm...

Guess I'll stay where I'm at...I like to see the Decisive Moment....

Post Thanks / Like

You can... with a very short delay! We should all be glad that the LCD/EVF doesn't display advertising while we wait. Or maybe they do... "BUY another Panny camera!!"

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the GF1 with auto review turned off you have a live image in the blink of an eye after pressing the shutter release. With the E-P1 it is about 2 seconds until you have a new live view. I hope it is as quick with the EVF. I can't remember how it was with the G1 but I don't remember it being quite as quick. Maybe someone that has one can chime in.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I use the 17mm with the finder on the Pen.
    It's the closest I can get to an M camera in this respect. No delay or black out....

Thanks all for the responses....
    Shooter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm...

Guess I'll stay where I'm at...I like to see the Decisive Moment....
    I don't know what that is but I would like to have very little response times in my camera.

I have been thinking about the Casio cams. Snap a burst of 100 odd frames in a second and then choose the right "moment" from it.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek,
    What I do is walk the streets, I see something and raise the camera.
    As soon as I frame with the finder, I release...it has to be instant for me as I only do 1 frame.
    The Pen does that with the finder.....
    You know all about that...I SEE your work.

Besides, you shouldn't need any more than 50 frames to select from...
    100...that's krazy....
    Shooter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I understood that, Don.

As Ranger 9 articulated here a few times, it is fun (but taxing) to allow for the delay and squeeze the shutter release in anticipation.

Earlier in an outing, it is exciting. After a couple of hours, I get so drained and I wish there is no black out or long shutter delays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, correct me if I wrong.
    The EVF kinda makes the camera work like an
    SLR. You can see focal length and focus etc but not the
    Decisive Moment. I thought you could see all the time with no black out.
    That blackout is an issue for me... Especially doing portraits....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm confused. Is there a greater blackout with the EVF than with the LCD on the rear? On the GF1 it is so fast that I don't consider it an issue on the LCD.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    On the GF1 with auto review turned off you have a live image in the blink of an eye after pressing the shutter release. With the E-P1 it is about 2 seconds until you have a new live view. I hope it is as quick with the EVF. I can't remember how it was with the G1 but I don't remember it being quite as quick. Maybe someone that has one can chime in.
    I just tried it with my G1--I could only get out "1 a (of the and)..." so its pretty quick--seems quicker on GF1---but I'm basing this on my 1 and 2 and....with saying it quite quickly. I'm not a street shooter but it surely isn't an issue for me. For the 2 above----

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, correct me if I wrong.
    The EVF kinda makes the camera work like an
    SLR. You can see focal length and focus etc but not the
    Decisive Moment. I thought you could see all the time with no black out.
    That blackout is an issue for me... Especially doing portraits....
    First off, IMHO, "decisive moment" is over rated. Had this not been attributed to someone famous and had come from someone like "Rockwell", people would have laughed it off.

Second, whether the EVF blacks out or not, you still are dealing with the shutter lag, AF hunt (if used) or the "blink time" delay of the AF lens you use.

Take a look at the 17mm lens mounted on your cam and see what happens when you press the shutter. Even when everything is seemingly manual, the iris opens and closes before the shot is taken.

With manual lenses, this "blink delay" is absent.
    Last edited by Vivek; 6th October 2009 at 06:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First off, IMHO, "decisive moment" is over rated. Had this not been attributed to someone famous and had come from someone like "Rockwell", people would have laughed it off.

Second, whether the EVF blacks out or not, you still are dealing with the shutter lag, AF hunt (if used) or the "blink time" delay of the AF lens you use.

Take a look at the 17mm lens mounted on your cam and see what happens when you press the shutter. Even when everything is seemingly manual, the iris opens and closes before the shot is taken.

With manual lenses, this "blink delay" is absent.
    I got all that and that's why I was seeking a quicker down time.....
    I just have to surrender to the camera and stop thinking about my Leica's....but it is extremely painful...
    I'm not really talking about the HCB Decisive Moment (more about content)...but then again I am,
    I am concerned about down time...or blackout....

I might just sell my wife, kids and grands and get an M9....
    shooter

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got all that and that's why I was seeking a quicker down time.....
    I just have to surrender to the camera and stop thinking about my Leica's....but it is extremely painful...
    I'm not really talking about the HCB Decisive Moment (more about content)...but then again I am,
    I am concerned about down time...or blackout....

I might just sell my wife, kids and grands and get an M9....
    shooter
    Please don't do that until all this M9 stuff has had time to work it's way through. "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . . "

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don, Leica M9- why go there? Summilux-M 50 or Fujinon-TV 50/1.4?

The choice is quite easy for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is such a nice image Vivek....
    Don

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That is such a nice image Vivek....
    Don
    Ditto. That's a really nice image.

I ordered the viewfinder today on EBAY and cancelled my order at Amazon. I've been using MF lens on the GH1 and , for me, getting focus can be a challenge. F/1.4 lenses seem to have a micro-sized DOF. Unless I'm looking through the EVF, I can't really, go through the left button/center button/focus ring/release without moving the camera out of focus. Takes practice. Focusing an M8's faster for me (but, I just sold it; so I'll keep practicing).

Anybody zone or pre-focusing with MF lenses on these cameras?

Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    Please don't do that until all this M9 stuff has had time to work it's way through. "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now . . . "

Keith
    Ahhh...Keith,
    That's fer the Byrds.....

Post Thanks / Like

Typo there, you misspelled "Dylan."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
    Wonderful, I have been waiting for a report on this thing. Can you give a more detailed description? Is it possible to manual-focus with the viewfinder, or is the resolution inadequate?

I have never used a G1, so I suspect I won't have the opportunity to be disappointed.
    I just received my GF1 today with the EVF and I must say I'm impressed. The viewfinder is, in my opinion, not disappointing as some of the reviewers have suggested. In fact, it's really rather good, though not as crisp as the G1's. And yes, it is possible to manual focus with it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by iainmurray View Post
    I just received my GF1 today with the EVF and I must say I'm impressed. The viewfinder is, in my opinion, not disappointing as some of the reviewers have suggested. In fact, it's really rather good, though not as crisp as the G1's. And yes, it is possible to manual focus with it.
    Great news !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Great news !
    Really great news for me. Now that it is showing up in the UK, hopefully it will not be long for the US. I can use the LCD most of the time and even use my 35mm finder, but that doesn't work for MF and I do want to carry one fast longer MF lens with me besides the 20. Can't wait.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine should be here tomorrow or Friday. I received the leather 1/2 case yesterday and the strap and they are nice.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Really great news for me. Now that it is showing up in the UK, hopefully it will not be long for the US. I can use the LCD most of the time and even use my 35mm finder, but that doesn't work for MF and I do want to carry one fast longer MF lens with me besides the 20. Can't wait.

Diane
    I forgot to mention that, as a bonus, the EVF comes in a beautifully crafted and designed leather case that's up to Leica standards.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that, as a bonus, the EVF comes in a beautifully crafted and designed leather case that's up to Leica standards.
    LOL, thats right, i forgot to mention that. I will add that i took the hotshoe cover which comes with the GF1, and put it into that case for safe keeping.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
    Typo there, you misspelled "Dylan."
    I wasn't going to say anything. Glad someone has more b...s than me.

But after sober second thought, he couldn't really say "Thats fer the Dylan" . . . . . . . could he?

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, thats right, i forgot to mention that. I will add that i took the hotshoe cover which comes with the GF1, and put it into that case for safe keeping.
    Ya' know that you're just adding salt to the wound--so to speak I really really do want the EVF before the end of October, but wishing it so won't make it happen and I would like to leave my order with Robert and not order from Japan--at a premium price at that.

I've seen so much 'stuff' about Panasonic, marketing, delivery, etc. that I don't want to be one more that moans and complains, but...LOL--that being said, one does wonder what is in Panasonic's [corporate] head to not ship EVFs at the same time as the GF1? The big deal with the GF1 was that it had an accessory EVF as opposed to the Pen (and, of course, it shipped with that great 20 f1.7). It would seem that they would have had these babies in their hands--whether they produced them in house or bought (rethinking that--I know that they DO have them in hand in Japan). I like my GF1 but usage will drop as I need the EVF more and more and I pick up the G1. Of course, from their standpoint--I've already bought the camera so..... *sigh*
    Last edited by Diane B; 7th October 2009 at 09:06.

Post Thanks / Like

Ianinmurray, are you one of those Brits that got the GF1 and EVF?? --or did you order it from Ebay also??