The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How high would you go?

V

Vivek

(and be comfortable with the results?)

Factoring in everything, under the conditions (shooting style, light, etc) I operate, ISO400 is tops. I try to keep as much "density" as I can.

Here is a shot from yesterday evening (clouds, light rain and chilly).

G1/17 2.8 + 0.75X @f/3.2 ISO400.

Last edited:

pellicle

I was pushing 1600 at a recent conference. If you don't intend to print large it seemed ok.

but I think it looks too rough for much beyond 5x7 prints

800 seems ok ... depends on the 'needs'

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
With the Pen I often go to 12800 at night.
This creates great halation almost like film.
Of course, That's for B&W.
I usually make 9 x 12" prints on 11 x 14 paper.
Looks good to me.....
400 is my normal daytime speed....
Below that is to sterile.
Don

iiiNelson

On the G1 - 1600 for B&W and 800 for color. A few shots have been good @1600 in color and 3200 in B&W for web shots.

V

Vivek

m_Driscoll, How on earth did you manage that?!:shocked:

I usually set the ISO limit on the GH1 or GF1 to ISO 400 or 800. ISO 400 preferred. Although, here's a GH1 shot at ISO 1000. Looks good except for a little focus issue. Cheers.

GH1; 14-140mm lens; 32mm; 150s @ f/11; ISO 1000

m_driscoll

m_Driscoll, How on earth did you manage that?!:shocked:
Good question. I went back to Lightroom 2 and checked the metadata. Here's a jpeg straight from the RAW conversion into Lightroom 2 without adjustments. I don't recall if i used Nik Define 2.0 on this image to reduce noise before B & W conversion in Nik Siver Effex Pro. It'd be nice if that history was readable. I forget the actual PP steps. Not good, if you liked what you did. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/

nostatic

no hesitation with 1600 on DLux4, but knowing that there will be noise. No hesitation with 3200 on 5D2, and will shoot 6400 but knowing there will be noise. On the E-P1 I found 1600 to be fine - I rather liked the look of the noise.

O

OzRay

I'll use ISO 6400 with the Pen any day, if that's what's needed to get the shot. This was taken last night at a function where I used the CV 28mm f2 and CV 50mm f1.1 without flash. This was with the 50mm @ f1.1, 1/100 sec ISO 6400, IS on, focus was slightly off. The only lighting was sparsely set single hanging lights, much darker than the photo implies.

As shot:

Single pass with Noiseware on auto setting:

Haven't done any prints yet, to see how they look in the real world.

Cheers

Ray