Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 102

Thread: GF1 compared to E-P1

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Different strokes for different folks....
    The lack of an EVF on the E-P1 was more important in my decision to go to the GF1 than the IS (which is important, too. I can't wait till I can have both.)
    That's my feeling also. I've found that I just need a VF at times (not meaning to ) but I just find it difficult for anyone to say that there aren't times.....

    Would I occasionally like IBIS???--yes, might be nice, but I just tried some 1/10s (shooting manual) in very dark powder room GF1/20) and with the way I normally shoot handheld--brace myself and arms, hold breath--my shots were quite sharp. That wouldn't happen with a longer lens probably w/o IS, but for now I'll just live with what I have and make the best of really low light situations using manual settings, ISO, good handholding--and figure I made the better choice for me. I've been shooting low light for years with the 5D with fast primes, higher ISO and good handholding, so to have a really small capable camera with interchangeable lenses is just wonderful for me.

    I think everyone just needs to choose which camera works best for them for their shooting. We obviously can't have both EVF and IBIS now LOL--so choose your 'weapons' and get out there and shoot.

    Diane

  2. #52
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Well, not wishing to

    ...but having the G1 + E-P1 with the 20mm f1.7 on the way, I feel like I have the best of both worlds. A proper EVF cam with articulating LCD, and a proper rangefinder style cam with stabilisation for all lenses

    The only thing missing is the GH1 for proper video... but I'm not a videographer so I'll wait and see what Oly have lined up for us

    Still saving for the Lumix 7-14 and Leica 45mm f2.8

    Cheers

    Brian

  3. #53
    Senior Member kweide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Brian,

    dont you have the Panasonic DMW-MA1 Adpater ???
    __________________________________________________
    Part of the Wonderland
    see more ( NSFW ) on : http://www.klaweide.de

  4. #54
    Senior Member barjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Galveston, TX
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    171

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Earlier there was some discussion about the LCDs and how they compared. While the camera shots don't quite convey the differences as the eye sees it, I think you will still be able to see what I mean.

    The first shot is with the GF1 LCD set to max color saturation and the LCD Mode to Power Brightness. The second shot has the cameras the same but taken from an above viewing angle. The third shot is with the GF1 LCD color saturation set to 0 (mid point) and LCD mode to normal. The fourth shot is taken from an above angle with the setting the same as for 3.
    Last edited by barjohn; 8th November 2009 at 18:35.
    V/r John

  5. #55
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Geez is that horse dead yet or what . Have to find some more smiles for you folks.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  6. #56
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Can you find a beating a dead cow emoticon? At least that way we could make burgers when we're done...

  7. #57
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Been thinking of the Chick-fila ads here in the states . For our international members it usually is a ad with cows saying eat more chicken. They have many commercials that are quite funny but it basically promotes eating chicken than us cows. Love to have some of those graphics.

    Something like this
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  8. #58
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    John,
    Thank you again kind sir.
    The LCD shots clears the issue for me...
    Shooter

  9. #59
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    John,
    Thank you again kind sir.
    The LCD shots clears the issue for me...
    Shooter
    What does it clear? Inquiring minds want to know.

  10. #60
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    John, Put a polarizer on the taking lens and do a repeat of the side by side TFT display shot.

    My cheap monitors have excellent contrast and "brilliant" colors compared to a "proof" monitor that just displays what the print would look like.

  11. #61
    Senior Member JBurnett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Thanks for all your work, John. After a very brief viewing of the files, a couple of things stuck out for me (differences in focus aside):

    1. Slight difference in exposure. GF1 looks like it may be more in the tradition of G1 (e.g. I use -1/3 EV a fair bit)

    2. EP-1 seems to have better (very) high-ISO files. In other words, your samples confirm what others have reported.

    3. Quite a colour difference with the Oly 17mm on the two cameras. In my experience using the 17mm on my G1, I've been a bit surprised that the colours seemed more vivid than with either my Panasonic lenses or legacy lenses.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

  12. #62
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    John,
    Thank you again kind sir.
    The LCD shots clears the issue for me...
    Shooter
    Yes, thanks John... what are you thinking Terry?

    Cheers

    Brian

  13. #63
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Yes, thanks John... what are you thinking Terry?

    \
    That it doesn't show me anything I would base a camera buying decision on so I'm curious as to what he was looking for between the two screens that was clinched from those shots. I'm not sure how often one would sit in a dark room and look at the screens. I can say that I am sitting here with the two screens side by side in normal lighting and the colors on the Oly screen look more saturated (but more than real life) and the GF1 a little bit under real life at default and adjustable if desired.

  14. #64
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Yes, in a dark room they look so similar that one wouldn't consider it worth a second thought. John did comment about differences in bright light though, I don't know whether that would be a deal breaker either though.

    As far as I'm concerned, the E-P1 screen is very useable in a wide range of conditions. I hope screens continue to improve in visibility for all ambient lighting conditions.

    Cheers

    Brian

  15. #65
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    What I was looking for was the brightness on the Pen against the Panny.
    I have the Pen and will not get the Panny only because It doesn't offer me any great upgrade.
    I have read that the Panny screen was sooo much better but the difference seems like a moot point.

    They both seem like good cameras.
    I'm nailing it with my Pen....
    Thanks for the info....
    Don

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    What I was looking for was the brightness on the Pen against the Panny.
    I have the Pen and will not get the Panny only because It doesn't offer me any great upgrade.
    I have read that the Panny screen was sooo much better but the difference seems like a moot point.

    They both seem like good cameras.
    I'm nailing it with my Pen....
    Thanks for the info....
    Don
    If I had the Pen I surely wouldn't sell it and buy the GF1 unless I had a good reason. If I was shooting with a G1 as main m4/3rds and wanted a second body (me), then having the menus, controls, etc. be the same was somewhat important. If the Pen LCD is good enough for you--then I doubt there's very much difference in any light--not enough to switch anyhow. For those that want this form (rangefinder style) but need a VF at times, then the GF1 offers that. For those that have issues at most any FL with shake (and lots of people do for various reasons) and you want to shoot with legacy lenses--then the Pen offers a good option. IS offers me the most at longer lengths, but I'm lucky (hate to say 'at my age' )to be able to shoot at pretty slow shutter speeds with no IS and since I shoot mostly under 45mm (4/3rds) then I chose for my most important issue for any body (with all other things being pretty much equal)--the EVF.

    Horses for courses as far as I can see.

  17. #67
    Senior Member barjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Galveston, TX
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    171

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    I know the pictures make it look like the shots were taken in a dark room. They weren't. The problem was that when I took the shots exposed to normal levels for the room the screens washed out completely. Therefore, I exposed for the screens and that made the rest of the room look dark. The attached image illustrates this point.

    The differences are as has been described. The E-P1 colors are slightly more saturated than life and the GF1 are less saturated than life. In bright sunlight the GF1 seems more washed out to me. However, since it supports an EVF that becomes less of an issue.
    Last edited by barjohn; 8th November 2009 at 18:35.
    V/r John

  18. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    OIS vs IBIS for stills and video

    IBIS is only useful for stills photography. It is disabled on the EP1 while shooting video. This may also be the case with Pentax. I believe it is disabled in order to prevent sensor meltdown. The advantage of Panasonic's OIS is that it is active for both video and stills photography. If you're not interested in video then this isn't a problem. But if video may be of interest then OIS is mandatory in my experience. I shot lots of video for two weeks with my EP1 while on vacation some months ago and the lack of IS was all too obvious on my large screen TV. The OIS system on my GH1 is absolutely brilliant. As a Leica RF photographer I never missed IS for stills. But I couldn't live without IS for video.

  19. #69
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Pentax SR is functional during video. But if you're going to talk video, to me sound is mission critical, and if the camera doesn't have a mic input then it is off the list for anything other than informal grabs.

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Pentax SR is functional during video. But if you're going to talk video, to me sound is mission critical, and if the camera doesn't have a mic input then it is off the list for anything other than informal grabs.
    I agree. That's one of the reasons I chose the GH1.

  21. #71
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    The GH1 isn't perfect in this regard either as the Mic jack is the same one used for the remote shutter release. Evidently, Panasonic didn't think anyone would want to use the remote while shooting video!

    Cheers,

  22. #72
    terryc
    Guest

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    I have three m4/3 cameras now and do have some thoughts, in some ways they are more personal then anything else. I have a G1, PEN, and GF1.

    The G series have the advantage with faster AF but the EP-1 isn't as far behind as some have indicated - in low light the advantage has to go to the G series with the focus assist lamp feature - when the focus assist lamp is turned off the cameras are about equal in low light, in my experience.

    When using legacy lenses and this is important the clear winner for focusing in my opinion are the G1/GH1 hands down. That said I don't have the EVF1 for the G1F so I can't comment on how useful it will be with manual focus lenses. The two button approach of the Pen is at best awkward, but do-able with practice, I say that because I have seen great shots with the PEN and legacy lenses.

    All the complaining about the EP-1 user interface aside the Pen has some very usable features missing on the GF1/G1. If you are willing to dig into the E manual and learn the interface the camera can be rewarding. Yes, I agree the menus are not exactly simple or intuitive and do require some effort. Less of a problem for me because I use Olympus DSLRs. An example would be the ability to set AF to the AE/AF button and turn-off the half press/full press AF (Mode 3 on the PEN). Can't do that with the G cameras, at least not yet.

    Lenses go to Panasonic. The Olympus lenses are capable but I prefer the Panasonic lenses. I find the E Kit Zoom awkward and the 17mm needed another F stop. F2.0 would have been better and better build quality might have been a more suitable choice - similar to the original Pen lenses.

    I prefer the Olympus approach to the LCD for shooting in AF mode from various angles, ie; the hip, shoulder, etc. That said the better resolution of the GF1 is very usable but not better than the Pen when shooting on the fly just different.

    There was some complaining on the net about accidentally changing setting on the PEN while holding it in your right hand, and that certainly is the case - that said the controls can be turned-off and the on screen LCD menu used to get to the settings when changes are needed. On the GF1 I have had a similar problem and haven't yet figured out how to turn the buttons off - if indeed the buttons can be turned off. I don't think there is an LCD Menu equivalent to the Pen.

    As for OIS versus the Olympus in body stabilization - I do prefer the Pen because it supports shooting with legacy lenses, but again that is a personal preference and many will never put a manual focus lens on their m4/3 camera. As it relates to video - I have a real video camera which I never use...

    Just MY thoughts and of course mileage will very. More me thinking out loud than anything else.


    Best to all. Terry
    Last edited by terryc; 3rd October 2009 at 19:26.

  23. #73
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by terryc View Post
    ...snip...

    All the complaining about the EP-1 user interface aside the Pen has some very usable features missing on the GF1/G1. If you are willing to dig into the E manual and learn the interface the camera can be rewarding. Yes, I agree the menus are not exactly simple or intuitive and do require some effort. Less of a problem for me because I use Olympus DSLRs. An example would be the ability to set AF to the AE/AF button and turn-off the half press/full press AF (Mode 3 on the PEN). Can't do that with the G cameras, at least not yet.

    I prefer the Olympus approach to the LCD for shooting in AF mode from various angles, ie; the hip, shoulder, etc. That said the better resolution of the GF1 is very usable but not better than the Pen when shooting on the fly just different.

    As for OIS versus the Olympus in body stabilization - I do prefer the Pen because it supports shooting with legacy lenses, but again that is a personal preference and many will never put a manual focus lens on their m4/3 camera. As it relates to video - I have a real video camera which I never use...

    Best to all. Terry
    Terry, I'd like to give my take on your thoughts. I've owned and used all three. I have since sold the E-P1. The reason for selling the E-P1 is that I like to use my MF lenses and it was too clumsy to focus them without an EVF. The additional button press required to exit the manual focus zoom-in drove me nuts.
    I have my G1 set so that I can AF with the AF/AE lock button. Once you press that button, the focus is removed from the shutter button and a half-press of the shutter does not cause focus to change. If you fail to focus using the AF/AE, and the focus is not correct, then pressing the shutter button will cause the camera to focus.

    Have you tried shooting from the hip using AF and the swivel lcd of the G1. Vivek introduced this method and it really works for me.

    Olympus stabilization is the main reason that I bought the Pen. I also have owned an E3 and love the Oly colors. These are two areas that the Panny's can't compare for my needs. Once there is an Oly M4/3 with an EVF, I will be very interested...if they price it right.

    Terry, I think you gave a very fair assessment. Both systems have their pluses and minuses.

  24. #74
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I know the pictures make it look like the shots were taken in a dark room. They weren't. The problem was that when I took the shots exposed to normal levels for the room the screens washed out completely. Therefore, I exposed for the screens and that made the rest of the room look dark. The attached image illustrates this point. ...
    The solution would be to brighten up the room so the ambient light matched the screens more closely. That's how our eye would see it.

  25. #75
    terryc
    Guest

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Terry, I'd like to give my take on your thoughts. I've owned and used all three. I have since sold the E-P1. The reason for selling the E-P1 is that I like to use my MF lenses and it was too clumsy to focus them without an EVF. The additional button press required to exit the manual focus zoom-in drove me nuts.
    I have my G1 set so that I can AF with the AF/AE lock button. Once you press that button, the focus is removed from the shutter button and a half-press of the shutter does not cause focus to change. If you fail to focus using the AF/AE, and the focus is not correct, then pressing the shutter button will cause the camera to focus.

    Have you tried shooting from the hip using AF and the swivel lcd of the G1. Vivek introduced this method and it really works for me.

    Olympus stabilization is the main reason that I bought the Pen. I also have owned an E3 and love the Oly colors. These are two areas that the Panny's can't compare for my needs. Once there is an Oly M4/3 with an EVF, I will be very interested...if they price it right.

    Terry, I think you gave a very fair assessment. Both systems have their pluses and minuses.
    Thanks Cindy. Good suggestions on AF.

    Best regards, Terry.

  26. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I have my G1 set so that I can AF with the AF/AE lock button. Once you press that button, the focus is removed from the shutter button and a half-press of the shutter does not cause focus to change. If you fail to focus using the AF/AE, and the focus is not correct, then pressing the shutter button will cause the camera to focus.
    .
    Cindy, I shot (well, still shoot) with my Canons with the focus on my * button (equiv to AE/AF) and metering on my shutter button for a long time. I'd love that option but I'll take the AF lock anyhow. I've been using the AE/AF for AE lock but I've found I prefer the AF lock there now also. You can refocus with it or use the shutter button (if you don't have AF lock hold on) so it give a lot of control for recomposing.

    I have the GF1 set the same but haven't had a lot of shooting time with it. It seems as comfortable, so far, to use the buttons the same.

    A pretty cool tip was given on another forum for using direct AF also--I guess I missed it in the manual . It requires a 2 button push, but its really easy (this is with direct AF off in menu and 4 way buttons working at default with regular functions). You simply click the left 4 way as we do for MF assist--then the fn. button and it gives you the moveable AF (where you can also change the size of the AF area). Both of these methods allow you to focus on an area that is not in the center without having to move the camera to recompose (well, actually the first ALLOWS you to recompose without losing focus)--nice when you are using a lens fairly wide open with quite shallow DOF.

    Diane

  27. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    OT Cindy

    Are you still enjoying the GF1?? I'm (im)patiently waiting for the EVF--I know I will enjoy it a lot more with MF lenses, but otherwise, very nice camera and I like the button placement. BTW--at some point I've said this was a shoulder strap camera, but tried it yesterday with the GF1 strap (because none of my current straps had connections that would thread through the lugs) and found it awkward. Perhaps I would like the Y strap better and will try it this week. For now, the Gordy wrist strap went back on. I also found a small bag like you had (second pic) and it and the 20 went into it and into my rather small handbag. Worked fine. With another lens I'll have to go to a bit bigger handbag, but still not a 'camera bag' per se. And--the G!/GF1, all the lenses I want/need for travel fit really nicely into my Domke F6 (I think--little bit smaller Classic). I'll stick in the Terraclime most likely for day outings and carry a light kit most days.

    Diane

  28. #78
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    I look forward to the EVF as well but yesterday I didn't miss it. I know for me it is situational. Outdoors I was just concentrating on not blowing over . To even try to stay steady I was braced on a medium height a wall with my upper arms/elbows trying to steady things and provide support.

    I used the neckstrap yesterday in some of the darkest spots. I extended it out taught against my neck, turned the camera on burst and took a couple of shots in a row. In each case I got a good image and they were in the ISO 1600 1/8 and wide open which depends on the lens.

    The button placement on the GF1 is perfect for me. Seems more streamlined and easy to get to what I want to use (better than the G1/GH1). I had the fn key set to aspect ratio but got a tip from Godfrey to set it to the gridlines. The second tip was using custom gridline option to put a vertical where ever I wanted on the screen to best line something up.

    I started the thread about the AEL/AFL lock button on the Pen. I was using the GF1 similarly yesterday and while it works differently so you can use both methods (half press is still available if you aren't "locked") I think I now prefer the choice.

    After using the GF1 it still boggles my mind that the Pen doesn't have a focus assist lamp. There was space because they put the self timer light on the front. This simply should be corrected in the next model. In the really dark areas at Fort Point it was very helpful.

    There are functions in the Pen that I liked (spot metering for highlights and shadows the electronic level to name two). However, for the same reason I liked the M8 I don't feel like I'm missing them now as the level of complexity it adds to the interface isn't worth it to ME.


    terry
    Last edited by Terry; 4th October 2009 at 08:20.

  29. #79
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    OT Cindy

    Are you still enjoying the GF1?? I'm (im)patiently waiting for the EVF--I know I will enjoy it a lot more with MF lenses, but otherwise, very nice camera and I like the button placement. BTW--at some point I've said this was a shoulder strap camera, but tried it yesterday with the GF1 strap (because none of my current straps had connections that would thread through the lugs) and found it awkward. Perhaps I would like the Y strap better and will try it this week. For now, the Gordy wrist strap went back on. I also found a small bag like you had (second pic) and it and the 20 went into it and into my rather small handbag. Worked fine. With another lens I'll have to go to a bit bigger handbag, but still not a 'camera bag' per se. And--the G!/GF1, all the lenses I want/need for travel fit really nicely into my Domke F6 (I think--little bit smaller Classic). I'll stick in the Terraclime most likely for day outings and carry a light kit most days.

    Diane
    Diane,
    Yes, I really like the feel of the GF1. I, too, am impatiently waiting for an EVF. I am going to be very happy with a GF1 kit of 20mm and Pen-F 40mm in my purse. If I add the Pen-F 60mm or a zoom, I'll put it in the Terraclime. I'm grabbing micro 4/3 a lot more than my big DSLR kit these days.

  30. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    some good thoughts here

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I look forward to the EVF as well but yesterday I didn't miss it. I know for me it is situational. Outdoors I was just concentrating on not blowing over To even try to stay steady I was braced on a medium height a wall with my upper arms/elbows trying to steady things.
    Agree---totally situational. If I can shoot from shadow or shade, the LCD will work, but---for me---one of the things that I've found really helpful is to have the diopter on the EVF. I use fairly strong readers and they are a pain---I don't use my regular glasses for much more than distance, TV and movies--so don't usually wear them and have the reading part VERY small at the bottom for that reason. I usually just keep readers in my pocket LOL. The diopter on the EVF means no glasses at all--and really good detail for me--and stable with my MF lenses. But--I'll use the LCD in a lot of instances I know. Glad you didn't blow over

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I used the neckstrap yesterday in some of the darkest spots. I extended it out taught against my neck, turned the camera on burst and took a couple of shots in a row. I each case I got a good image and they were in the ISO 1600 1/8 and wide open which depends on the lens.
    You told me that tip---and I used it in very very low light the same way--THAT is a good thing with the neck strap. Perhaps if I find the right one it could be an either/or thing--wrap the strap around my hand when I want to handcarry and use the neck strap for where its needed (and safety in precarious situations, like on water, high on a cliff--where I'm already uncomfortable )

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    The button placement on the GF1 is perfect for me. Seems more streamlined and easy to get to what I want to use (better than the G1/GH1). I had the fn key set to aspect ration but got a tip from Godfrey to set it to the gridlines. The second tip was using custom gridline option to put a vertical where ever I wanted on the screen to best line something up.
    I'll try that--I have mine set to aspect ratio also.

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    After using the GF1 it still boggles my mind that the Pen doesn't have a focus assist lamp. There was space because they put the self timer light on the front. This simply should be corrected in the next model. In the really dark areas at Fort Point it was very helpful.
    I love the focus assist.
    terry[/QUOTE]

    Diane

    Diane - with my moderator super powers I did some edits to make it more readable. Hope you don't mind. terry
    Last edited by Terry; 4th October 2009 at 08:50. Reason: better formatting.

  31. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    [QUOTE=TEBnewyork;141286]

    After using the GF1 it still boggles my mind that the Pen doesn't have a focus assist lamp. There was space because they put the self timer light on the front. This simply should be corrected in the next model. In the really dark areas at Fort Point it was very helpful.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think Olympus, needs it on their DSLRs, as well, because other than the E3 and maybe the E30 They are pretty much useless in dim light for AF. It's funny, because I remember when I had the Canon G2, back when it first came out, and thought the AF assist light was the dumbest thing, since there was no way to get a candid shot of anyone, if you blasted them in the face with a light first. My thoughts have changed on that now, as I realize more and more, that with AF, you need all the help you can get in low light.

    Where can I get a GF1 and 20 1.7, anyone know? Thanks Clay
    Last edited by clay stewart; 4th October 2009 at 10:06.

  32. #82
    Senior Member ecsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tax State
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    I think Samys in CA still has a couple in stock.

  33. #83
    Senior Member barjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Galveston, TX
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    171

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Clay,

    Last I saw you could order the GF1 with 20mm kit on the Pansonic web site. Be sure to register first, otherwise your order gets sent to their third party seller "Shopatron" and the bottom of the queue.

    Godfrey, a good suggestion but I had the room as bright as it gets. I don't have a lot of room light in the room.

    Terry & Cindy,

    I concur completely with your evaluation and it is a good summary. I went ahead and ordered the EVF from the eBay company (paying the extra $50) figuring there is no telling when Panny will make them available in the USA and I only have about 25 days left to return the GF1 if I find it doesn't work for me. Since the main reason I purchased it was to be able to focus and compose with e VF I figured I might as well go ahead and find out. I have my E-P1 kit for sale because, as much as I love the in body IS I can't stand not having a view finder. I hope it works well. I will report my findings when I get it.

    I think overall this thread presents the most balanced assessment of the two cameras I have seen anywhere so it should be helpful to anyone looking to buy one or the other.
    V/r John

  34. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    I think Samys in CA still has a couple in stock.
    Ok, thanks ecsh, I'll check it out.

  35. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I went ahead and ordered the EVF from the eBay company (paying the extra $50) figuring there is no telling when Panny will make them available in the USA and I only have about 25 days left to return the GF1 if I find it doesn't work for me. Since the main reason I purchased it was to be able to focus and compose with e VF I figured I might as well go ahead and find out. I have my E-P1 kit for sale because, as much as I love the in body IS I can't stand not having a view finder. I hope it works well. I will report my findings when I get it.

    o buy one or the other.
    I am really anxious to get it, but I have a preorder with Monza/Robert and don't want to back out of a sale again with him LOL--I bought my 17 elsewhere and he very nicely was okay with me backing out of my preorder.

    I shot a bit today without the EVF--but I'll tell you--it surely would have been easier to be sure of even AF with it. I actually couldn't tell where the AF area was--though I could approximate from it being in the center. It wasn't even sunny, just sort of brightish with complete overcast skies. Other people may have less trouble with how their eyes are affected by light, but I know mine--and I don't like having to struggle. Indoors, shade/shadow--works fine, but that's not all I shoot.

    Having read someone else's comments on the EVF elsewhere plus MR on LL saying it wasn't the best--but usable, I figure I can deal with it. I really like the camera overall--just lovely in hand.

    Diane

  36. #86
    Senior Member ecsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tax State
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Even with the reduced resolution of the viewfinder compared to the G1, it makes this camera a keeper for me. The viewfinder never leaves the camera. When i need to chimp, i hit the display button on the body.
    Joe

  37. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Thanks John.

  38. #88
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    Even with the reduced resolution of the viewfinder compared to the G1, it makes this camera a keeper for me. The viewfinder never leaves the camera. When i need to chimp, i hit the display button on the body.
    Joe
    Surely, if the EVF never leaves the camera... wouldn't a G1/GH1 be a better choice?

    Cheers

    Brian

  39. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Surely, if the EVF never leaves the camera... wouldn't a G1/GH1 be a better choice?

    Cheers

    Brian
    My choice is EP1 + G1, the latter because of better EVF with mf lenses, tilt screen and better grip for long lenses, the former for IQ, WB, IS and, I admit, looks. G1 with 14-140 mm, EP1 with 7-14 mm and the 20 mm in the bag looks like a versatile and low weight travel combo.

    Best

  40. #90
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    Earlier there was some discussion about the LCDs and how they compared. While the camera shots don't quite convey the differences as the eye sees it, I think you will still be able to see what I mean.
    thanks for that ... the GF1 is looking more like my camera ... if it had the stabilisation in body and an articulating screen it would be perfect

  41. #91
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    My choice is EP1 + G1, the latter because of better EVF with mf lenses, tilt screen and better grip for long lenses, the former for IQ, WB, IS and, I admit, looks. G1 with 14-140 mm, EP1 with 7-14 mm and the 20 mm in the bag looks like a versatile and low weight travel combo.

    Best
    My choice too best of both worlds

    I have the PL 14-150 for 4/3rds which I can use on the G1 quite well with the adapter, and will add the Lumix 7-14 to my kit in due course.

    Cheers

    Brian

  42. #92
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    p.s. John, or anyone with the GF1... how many shots can you take at 3fps in raw before the buffer fills up? I sometimes shoot in burst mode when I'm doing portraits of the kids to catch the right expressions (and everyone with their eyes open and looking my way!) while maintaining eye contact - so this feature is quite useful for me.

    Cheers

    Brian

  43. #93
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    p.s. John, or anyone with the GF1... how many shots can you take at 3fps in raw before the buffer fills up? I sometimes shoot in burst mode when I'm doing portraits of the kids to catch the right expressions (and everyone with their eyes open and looking my way!) while maintaining eye contact - so this feature is quite useful for me.

    Cheers

    Brian
    When I was doing the widsurfer shots (on low speed burst) it went at least 6-7 (raw only) I stopped before the camera did. I prefer the low speed but haven't played extensively with high. Low feels smooth and consistent with more control. I also shoot dslrs on the slower setting.

  44. #94
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Thanks Terry, that's about the same as the G1 then...

    Cheers

    Brian
    Last edited by Terry; 5th October 2009 at 05:17. Reason: made a mistake - fixed

  45. #95
    Senior Member ecsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tax State
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Surely, if the EVF never leaves the camera... wouldn't a G1/GH1 be a better choice?

    Cheers

    Brian
    Brian
    When you are a gear slut, its all about the gear<G> Seriously, the GF1 is slightly smaller still than the G1.

    Joe

  46. #96
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Surely, if the EVF never leaves the camera... wouldn't a G1/GH1 be a better choice?

    Cheers

    Brian
    Noooooo. Aki does not sell camera leather for the G1/GH1. Impossible to keep them warm and cosy.

    Besides, they look ugly (plain fact).

  47. #97
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Noooooo. Aki does not sell camera leather for the G1/GH1. Impossible to keep them warm and cosy.
    Isn't that what black gaffer tape is for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Besides, they look ugly (plain fact).
    Yes, unfortunately so... it's a shame Panasonic didn't make an LC1alike





    Images courtesy of dpreview.

    Maybe they're waiting for Olympus to go first?

    Cheers

    Brian

  48. #98
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    The thing I like the most in that P&S cam is the real aperture control ring. What a beauty! Thoroughly useful as well. The camera does not have open and close the aperture when it is set by the photographer before taking a shot.

    The "blink time" of the camera is reduced unlike the current AF lenses available for the m4/3rds.

  49. #99
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Thanks Terry, that's about the same as the G1 then...

    Cheers

    Brian
    No, it seems faster/smoother than the G1

  50. #100
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: GF1 compared to E-P1

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    No, it seems faster/smoother than the G1
    I've just noticed the speeds are quoted in the dcresource reviews :

    Max RAW speed / buffer size :

    E-P1 : 13 shots @ 3.0 frames/sec, then unlimited @ 1.4 fps

    DMC-G1 : 5 shots @ 2.7 fps

    DMC-GF1 : 5 shots @ 2.5 fps

    So actually, it's a tiny bit slower.

    Thanks for your impressions though...

    Brian

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •