The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 compared to E-P1

clay stewart

After using the GF1 it still boggles my mind that the Pen doesn't have a focus assist lamp. There was space because they put the self timer light on the front. This simply should be corrected in the next model. In the really dark areas at Fort Point it was very helpful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I think Olympus, needs it on their DSLRs, as well, because other than the E3 and maybe the E30 They are pretty much useless in dim light for AF. It's funny, because I remember when I had the Canon G2, back when it first came out, and thought the AF assist light was the dumbest thing, since there was no way to get a candid shot of anyone, if you blasted them in the face with a light first. My thoughts have changed on that now, as I realize more and more, that with AF, you need all the help you can get in low light.

Where can I get a GF1 and 20 1.7, anyone know?:confused: Thanks Clay:)

Last edited:

barjohn

Clay,

Last I saw you could order the GF1 with 20mm kit on the Pansonic web site. Be sure to register first, otherwise your order gets sent to their third party seller "Shopatron" and the bottom of the queue.

Godfrey, a good suggestion but I had the room as bright as it gets. I don't have a lot of room light in the room.

Terry & Cindy,

I concur completely with your evaluation and it is a good summary. I went ahead and ordered the EVF from the eBay company (paying the extra $50) figuring there is no telling when Panny will make them available in the USA and I only have about 25 days left to return the GF1 if I find it doesn't work for me. Since the main reason I purchased it was to be able to focus and compose with e VF I figured I might as well go ahead and find out. I have my E-P1 kit for sale because, as much as I love the in body IS I can't stand not having a view finder. I hope it works well. I will report my findings when I get it.

I think overall this thread presents the most balanced assessment of the two cameras I have seen anywhere so it should be helpful to anyone looking to buy one or the other.

Diane B

I went ahead and ordered the EVF from the eBay company (paying the extra $50) figuring there is no telling when Panny will make them available in the USA and I only have about 25 days left to return the GF1 if I find it doesn't work for me. Since the main reason I purchased it was to be able to focus and compose with e VF I figured I might as well go ahead and find out. I have my E-P1 kit for sale because, as much as I love the in body IS I can't stand not having a view finder. I hope it works well. I will report my findings when I get it.

o buy one or the other.
I am really anxious to get it, but I have a preorder with Monza/Robert and don't want to back out of a sale again with him LOL--I bought my 17 elsewhere and he very nicely was okay with me backing out of my preorder.

I shot a bit today without the EVF--but I'll tell you--it surely would have been easier to be sure of even AF with it. I actually couldn't tell where the AF area was--though I could approximate from it being in the center. It wasn't even sunny, just sort of brightish with complete overcast skies. Other people may have less trouble with how their eyes are affected by light, but I know mine--and I don't like having to struggle. Indoors, shade/shadow--works fine, but that's not all I shoot.

Having read someone else's comments on the EVF elsewhere plus MR on LL saying it wasn't the best--but usable, I figure I can deal with it. I really like the camera overall--just lovely in hand.

Diane

ecsh

Even with the reduced resolution of the viewfinder compared to the G1, it makes this camera a keeper for me. The viewfinder never leaves the camera. When i need to chimp, i hit the display button on the body.
Joe

Brian Mosley

Even with the reduced resolution of the viewfinder compared to the G1, it makes this camera a keeper for me. The viewfinder never leaves the camera. When i need to chimp, i hit the display button on the body.
Joe
Surely, if the EVF never leaves the camera... wouldn't a G1/GH1 be a better choice?

Cheers

Brian

retow

Surely, if the EVF never leaves the camera... wouldn't a G1/GH1 be a better choice?

Cheers

Brian
My choice is EP1 + G1, the latter because of better EVF with mf lenses, tilt screen and better grip for long lenses, the former for IQ, WB, IS and, I admit, looks. G1 with 14-140 mm, EP1 with 7-14 mm and the 20 mm in the bag looks like a versatile and low weight travel combo.

Best

pellicle

Earlier there was some discussion about the LCDs and how they compared. While the camera shots don't quite convey the differences as the eye sees it, I think you will still be able to see what I mean.
thanks for that ... the GF1 is looking more like my camera ... if it had the stabilisation in body and an articulating screen it would be perfect

Brian Mosley

My choice is EP1 + G1, the latter because of better EVF with mf lenses, tilt screen and better grip for long lenses, the former for IQ, WB, IS and, I admit, looks. G1 with 14-140 mm, EP1 with 7-14 mm and the 20 mm in the bag looks like a versatile and low weight travel combo.

Best
My choice too :thumbs: best of both worlds ;)

I have the PL 14-150 for 4/3rds which I can use on the G1 quite well with the adapter, and will add the Lumix 7-14 to my kit in due course.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Mosley

p.s. John, or anyone with the GF1... how many shots can you take at 3fps in raw before the buffer fills up? I sometimes shoot in burst mode when I'm doing portraits of the kids to catch the right expressions (and everyone with their eyes open and looking my way!) while maintaining eye contact - so this feature is quite useful for me.

Cheers

Brian

Terry

p.s. John, or anyone with the GF1... how many shots can you take at 3fps in raw before the buffer fills up? I sometimes shoot in burst mode when I'm doing portraits of the kids to catch the right expressions (and everyone with their eyes open and looking my way!) while maintaining eye contact - so this feature is quite useful for me.

Cheers

Brian
When I was doing the widsurfer shots (on low speed burst) it went at least 6-7 (raw only) I stopped before the camera did. I prefer the low speed but haven't played extensively with high. Low feels smooth and consistent with more control. I also shoot dslrs on the slower setting.

V

Vivek

Cheers

Brian
Noooooo. Aki does not sell camera leather for the G1/GH1. Impossible to keep them warm and cosy.:ROTFL:

Besides, they look ugly (plain fact).

V

Vivek

The thing I like the most in that P&S cam is the real aperture control ring. What a beauty! Thoroughly useful as well. The camera does not have open and close the aperture when it is set by the photographer before taking a shot.

The "blink time" of the camera is reduced unlike the current AF lenses available for the m4/3rds.

Brian Mosley

No, it seems faster/smoother than the G1
I've just noticed the speeds are quoted in the dcresource reviews :

Max RAW speed / buffer size :

E-P1 : 13 shots @ 3.0 frames/sec, then unlimited @ 1.4 fps

DMC-G1 : 5 shots @ 2.7 fps

DMC-GF1 : 5 shots @ 2.5 fps

So actually, it's a tiny bit slower.

Thanks for your impressions though...

Brian