The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 Images/Pics/Photos Thread

bradhusick

Let's face it... the GF1 is not an M8. It's not priced like one either. If I can use the GF1 as a kind of snapshot camera and grab a quick photo before dinner without having to do much fiddling, then it will serve its purpose. If I need a photograph, out comes the M8. It's nice to have both.

P.S. I don't want to turn this thread sideways, since it's a place to post photos.

Terry

Well, I'm not banned yet . . . so presumably Guy hasn't seen it :ROTFL:

So, does that explain why the high ISO shots were not as good with the GF1?
To some of the more technical people on the at forum, the side by side pictures aren't properly lined up next to each other. So, IMHO yes, that is part of the explanation. Oly does have a better jpeg engine and some tests were jpeg.

simonclivehughes

I also use Topaz detail but not with as good results as yours. Can you share your settings.

Thanks
Jerry
Jerry,

To be honest, I don't recall what settings I used. I've just been playing around with Topaz Detail for a few days. I bought it when it came out but it had a bug that froze everything when I tried to save my own settings, so I just didn't pursue it. I tried it again recently (an updated file) and it now works so I'm just starting to get familiar with it.

What I find is that with it and Topaz Detail (which I also use), that I tend to choose a setting that gets me near what I'm looking for and then "dial it back" a bit. I'll often save those settings to return to.

Here's a couple more from this morning's walk. For the second one, I also used Viveza for spot colour work.

View attachment 23744 View attachment 23745

Cheers,

Last edited:

m_driscoll

A couple more from today:

Both with the kit lens
Jono: Interesting photos. You need to look twice (more actually) to get a sense of the scale: animal trail in a hedge row or a road? The B & W makes the foliage more textural and takes away more visible variations in color that provide perceptual scale and depth. The path/road is where the eye settles. Claustrophobic in B & W; probably not so much in color. Thanks for posting. Always enjoy your photos. Especially with the M9 (a camera that's rumored to exist somewhere). Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

jonoslack

Jono: Interesting photos. You need to look twice (more actually) to get a sense of the scale: animal trail in a hedge row or a road? The B & W makes the foliage more textural and takes away more visible variations in color that provide perceptual scale and depth. The path/road is where the eye settles. Claustrophobic in B & W; probably not so much in color. Thanks for posting. Always enjoy your photos. Especially with the M9 (a camera that's rumored to exist somewhere). Cheers.
HI Matt
I think these pictures are really the excuse for having m4/3 as well as the M9, where you'd need f22 to get this kind of depth of field (difficult without one of those stick things . . .erm . . . what ARE they called? I know! a tripod).:)

I hadn't thought of them as claustrophobic, but in each case I wanted to subvert the reality and push the composition, and I can certainly see what you mean, If you've had to look several times, then I guess I've succeeded:)

I thought of posting the colour variant as well - perhaps it would be interesting, but perhaps it would just kill the black and white (my wife always dislikes the black and white landscapes).

Your rainy Seattle day is very evocative.

V

Vivek

Let's face it... the GF1 is not an M8. It's not priced like one either. If I can use the GF1 as a kind of snapshot camera and grab a quick photo before dinner without having to do much fiddling, then it will serve its purpose. If I need a photograph, out comes the M8. It's nice to have both.

P.S. I don't want to turn this thread sideways, since it's a place to post photos.
Yes, no match in terms of price, size, weight or utility at all. The M9 should be even a better camera.

The G1, which is cheaper and plain ugly fares better under similar conditions (artificial light, confined spaces, ISO400).

G1, Computar-TV 25/1.3.

Rawfa

Well,
The GF1 files are also underrated for ISO so a 500 shot is really about 800 and then you are moving upwards from there. DPReview downplays it (and has used the most conservative numbers I've seen but here is the info....

I believe DxO has more info and by their tests it is about 2/3 stop too conservative.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/page16.asp
Wow, this is not very fair. I mean ISO 800 = ISO 1100?! ISO 1600 = ISO 2100?! I hope that when I get my GF1 it comes with the new firmware update that allows for the calculator function ;)

m_driscoll

HI Matt
I think these pictures are really the excuse for having m4/3 as well as the M9, where you'd need f22 to get this kind of depth of field (difficult without one of those stick things . . .erm . . . what ARE they called? I know! a tripod).:)

I hadn't thought of them as claustrophobic, but in each case I wanted to subvert the reality and push the composition, and I can certainly see what you mean, If you've had to look several times, then I guess I've succeeded:)

I thought of posting the colour variant as well - perhaps it would be interesting, but perhaps it would just kill the black and white (my wife always dislikes the black and white landscapes).

Your rainy Seattle day is very evocative.
Jono,
I think perception works on levels. Too complex with no underlying order and you move on. Too simple with no underlying complexity and you move on. Like re-reading a good book, looking should yield a little more each time. Photography is an underrated art because everybody has a camera, or iphone; but, not everybody can take a picture that sustains and entertains. From what I've seen, you can. I'm learning a lot in this forum (not quitting my day job, though). Thanks for posting. Lot's of evocative rain lately. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

ptomsu

Workshop Member
All

sorry for my ignorance, but:

1) is the GF1 RAW format already supported in C1 Pro?

2) and if not, when is that going to happen?

Diane B

I haven't done a lot with the GF1 but got these 2 this past week. Nothing exciting, but what I've gotten recently (altho' my persimmon shot is still my favorite so far)

Grandfather Mt. with the viaduct around the mt. to protect it from environmental damage (Blue Ridge Parkway) from my 'secret' road with 14-45. Iffy weather so waited for a bit of sun on the mt. Glad I did--a good bit of snow yesterday and I'm sure all color is gone from out mts. now

A rock outcropping from our mts. with the 20

and one I didn't expect to shoot. David found this mill for me and luckily took me to it--because he had trouble finding it again LOL. It was late-ish, but I knew I wouldn't get back for several weeks.
with 20 f/1.7.

Maybe 2 others I shot earlier--on the farm.

With the 20--Fleabane Daisies

and the survivor I found after bushhogging our pastures-- desaturated--again 20 (I waited a long long time for it to do more than stick its head out a bit--and gave up at dark)

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Matt
Jono,
I think perception works on levels. Too complex with no underlying order and you move on. Too simple with no underlying complexity and you move on.
I suppose something has to catch you, but I'm not sure about complexity being important. Often the simplest images have the biggest impact.
Like re-reading a good book, looking should yield a little more each time. Photography is an underrated art because everybody has a camera, or iphone; but, not everybody can take a picture that sustains and entertains. From what I've seen, you can. I'm learning a lot in this forum (not quitting my day job, though). Thanks for posting. Lot's of evocative rain lately. Cheers.
Thank you - I think we're all learning all the time (I certainly am). The trick is to learn, without simply becoming derivative (really tricky).

We're about to have lots of evocative rain this evening I'm afraid, and there certainly hasn't been much sun about recently :cry:

m3photo

Lettuce

... and the survivor I found after bushhogging our pastures-- desaturated--again 20 (I waited a long long time for it to do more than stick its head out a bit--and gave up at dark)
I always welcome your style of landscapes, thank you.
As for the tortoise, this little fella would have stuck his head out much sooner had you left a nice piece of fresh lettuce just off camera to the right :D