Site Sponsors

Thread: Generic batteries for GF1, GH1 & G1

Post Thanks / Like

Generic batteries for GF1, GH1 & G1

Can anyone recommend a reliable generic battery for these cameras?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Generic batteries for GF1, GH1 & G1

No because you can't use them. The Panasonic batteries are chipped and the firmware precludes using generics. If you have old firmware you can perhaps still get around it however, I don't have a source.
    Last edited by Terry; 10th October 2009 at 18:41.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazon will sell you a Panasonic battery for about $54.00. Apparently third party batteries do not work.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

YES, You Can!

on the G1 and GH-1 with the proper firmwares. Some are not only cheaper but last longer as well.

Pana disabled this to start with, in their over priced GF-1. They have not given any proof that all 3rd party batteries will damage their cam nor have they approved any 3rd party manufacturer.

Many official Pana dealers continue to sell 3rd party batteries and Panasonic have not said anything against that.

Based on this, they are out to make an extra buck on the battery.

(Search for posts from "Hot" here and you will get your answers.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have downloaded the 'rogue' firmware v1.4 upgrade for the G1 which doesn't lock out 3rd party batteries... but I don't find it necessary to have a spare - the battery lasts very well, at least a whole day of shooting for me.

If anyone would like a copy of the firmware for their G1, just let me know...

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I have downloaded the 'rogue' firmware v1.4 upgrade for the G1 which doesn't lock out 3rd party batteries... but I don't find it necessary to have a spare - the battery lasts very well, at least a whole day of shooting for me.

If anyone would like a copy of the firmware for their G1, just let me know...

Cheers

Brian
    The battery lasts a very, very long time compared to other batteries in other cameras.

If I buy a camera that costs me over $1,000 (with a viewfinder and extra lens) I am going to spend a few extra bucks and get a Panasonic battery.

(I put a third party battery in my cell phone. The battery expanded to about twice its size. I don't want that happening to my cameras . . . but that's just me.)

jerryk

So how long does the battery last? 500, 1000 shots? or 3,000+ like the 1DMK3.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a problem with generic batteries in any of my (Nikon, Canon) cameras...all of them worked exactly like the oem ones, including one I used for my LX1.

I'm usually out shooting all day. An extra battery or 2 is a must for me. I don't mind buying a Panasonic extra, but why spend the money when something else might work just as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can the generic batteries for the G1 be recharged in the Panasonic charger?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
    My experience with my GH1, the battery can last almost 6 hours or around 300 shots. I usually set my camera with Power Save @ 2 min and use practically the LVF only. I have been out with my G1/GH1 a few full day trips now and have only exhausted the Panasonic battery once or twice. No, you don't get the 3000 shots as in the 1DMk3 but good enough. Having an extra battery is part of the reason why I am keeping my G1 too.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Lupo

Does anyone know anything about this?

Battery for G1-GH1-GF1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice link, Lupo! You made my day!

From that link:

New Li-Ion ID-Security Rechargeable Replacement Battery. This battery is fully-decoded and 100% compatible with most current firmware version v1.2 or later. Works wonderfully for:

Panasonic DMC-G1, DMCG1
    Panasonic DMC-GF1, DMCGF1
    It says:

Availability: In stock soon. Order now to get in line. First come first served.

Pana "special" batt is decoded!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princepollux View Post
    Can the generic batteries for the G1 be recharged in the Panasonic charger?
    sure, but since the camera won't allow you to use it ...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

my experience is here on a flickr group ...

but essentially I said:

Hi

last night I decided to use my G1 as a copy stand camera using a FD series lens. With a full charge under my belt I produced over 1000 images in around 60 minutes in copying some (computer) workshop manuals.

When I had finished my battery meter still showed full bars

I used the screen at all times to confirm the registration of the documents in the frame.

Considering the DPReview stated 330 images I'm pleased.

jerryk

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

my experience is here on a flickr group ...

but essentially I said:
    Those are great results. Mine are much closer to the rated performance. At about 350 or so I am down to 1 bar. I have a second battery on order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Each time Panasonic upgrades the firmware, older 3rd party batteries don't work anymore. Then the companies that make them reverse engineer the chip, and things are OK again.

This is the most onerous anti-3rd party battery strategy I've seen. Most cameras don't mind, and on some the state of the charge isn't displayed correctly, but that's rare.

I've bought third party batteries for various cameras in the last 10 years, and have saved in the order of $3000 in total. I've had third party batteries fail, but not even at as high a rate as OEM batteries; the capacity of third party batteries usually gets better than OEM batteries and there have been no true failures.

There's no way I'm paying $60 to $150 for a battery that I can get for $10-15 delivered, that offers equal or better performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,

I'm still a happy user of non-decoded third party accus. Because I do not upgrade the firmware of my G1 anymore. I'm happy with the way the camera works now, and anyway, has anybody ever seen some important difference in photographic results after a firmware upgrade ??????

Have a nice evening,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

jerryk

Quote Originally Posted by henningw View Post
    Each time Panasonic upgrades the firmware, older 3rd party batteries don't work anymore. Then the companies that make them reverse engineer the chip, and things are OK again.

This is the most onerous anti-3rd party battery strategy I've seen. Most cameras don't mind, and on some the state of the charge isn't displayed correctly, but that's rare.
    Canon has adopted a similar strategy with it's latest DSLRs. With non chipped Canon batteries:

1) Their chargers will not work.
    2) When you power up the camera it generates a communications error message that you must acknowledge
    3) The LCD does not display the remaining charge in the battery.
    4) The menu system does display the ability of battery to take another charge.

I could be worse. Apple has gone to internal batteries with it's portable devices and latest laptops. Battery swap is return for service.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm as cheap and as broke as any other photographer I know (most! ;-), but I almost always buy OEM batteries from whatever manufacturer makes the camera regardless of price. It just makes good sense to me ... the battery is just as essential a piece of equipment as the lens and the memory storage card, if not moreso, and I like to be absolutely sure that I'm not going to have any problems with camera and batteries.

I feel the same way about remote cables too. You usually get what you pay for with these things.

Linh

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    YES, You Can!
    ... in their over priced GF-1. ....
    really? sheesh.

Anyway, I wouldn't risk the 3rd party battery unless you're sure you never will upgrade the firmware. I have nothing against good 3rd party batteries, I use em in my 20D/40D. $12 vs $60 x 5-6 is a lot of money, and the BP511's are fairly proven.

However, I get the feeling we're entering an era like chipped ink carts. Canon's new batteries look to be that way, tho I think you can still use 3rd party, just lose out on the features it has, so not as bad as panasonic.

I did buy the panasonic spare, but not sure if I'll keep it. A single battery seems to last forever with my GF1+EVF. But it's handy to have. Since I don't need more than 1, I can live with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry

Apple has gone to internal batteries with it's portable devices and latest laptops. Battery swap is return for service.
    I think that is about the worst bit of news I've heard yet with regard to the making of a subscription industry out of owning gear.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it annoying that people consider that if you buy after market batteries that you must buy only the sleazy 5 for a dollar stuff at some honkong back market.

Thinking more about the above statement I quoted by JerryK I feel more strongly that the proprietisation of battery is a threat to competition.

In the rechargable battery there is competition and known good players, people see brands they know (Ray-o-vac, YUASA ...) as well technical and or sales people can give you advice on which battery is good or bad.

with totally 0 choice we have no idea as to which camera company is providing what in which model so were stuck

People have little or no idea about the real issues of batterys and accordingly run around in either panic or oblivion on the issue reciting mantras along the lines of "I heard that a battery exploded..." or such like.

There is very little evidence to support that non-maker batteries dammage cameras and there is as much evidnce that maker specific batteries can dammage cameras.

in all cases its such a tiny portion of the cameras that you stand a better chance of making money buying a lottery ticket than you do of having your camera go poof.

but hey ... heaps of people feed the lottery ticket industry too ...

Post Thanks / Like

My G1 battery has lasted me for many hundreds of photos at a time (well over 500). It really depends on whether or not you're shooting using the EVF or the display. I use the EVF with the display closed, so that's prolly why my battery lasts so long. I only use the display to show others the photos I took. Otherwise I use the EVF for that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

As a point of reference, I use my G1 with the LCD on and do a lot of chimping to tweak my compositions and fine-tune exposure, and my OEM batteries typically last long enough for me to fill one 2GB memory card (~94 raw/jpg combo images). My aftermarket batteries tend to last a bit longer, say, 1.5 2GB memory cards. As a result, I always carry at least two spare batteries with me every time I go out with the camera...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo View Post

Battery for G1-GH1-GF1
    Awesome, thanks! I'm currently running the non-battery locking v1.4 firmware on my G1 and I have a 3rd party I got with a better charger for $18 combined. I purchased said battery completely with the knowledge that it might stop working on the next firmware upgrade, but I was also assuming that a reverse engineered battery would come out soon as well (just not in time for my trip). Hoped I'd be able to get an extra battery immediately that I might need to throw away and get a chipped one later all for less than the Panasonic. Looks like that'll be the case!

Thanks for the link!

Ken

P.S. Time will tell I guess how accurately they reverse engineered the thing and whether Panasonic will be able to lock them out in a future firmware.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post

P.S. Time will tell I guess how accurately they reverse engineered the thing and whether Panasonic will be able to lock them out in a future firmware.
    That would make 2 strikes against Pana.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I got my G1 in June, I immediately ordered an extra battery from an ebay seller not knowing about this issue, and found that it didn't work. I've been using 3rd party batteries on all digital cameras and wouldn't buy OEM batteries anymore until they are available for a price that's in line with what they are worth.

In any case, I found out that the battery I had bought was OK for cameras with firmware 1.1, but not 1.2. My camera of course had 1.2 installed. I then got batteries that are OK for 1.2 but will likely not work under newer firmware. I've not upgraded the firmware because the battery use has been more important to me than what the firmware upgrade offered.

So there has already been a back and forth between hackers and Panasonic, and this will likely continue. Brian has now sent me the hacked 1.4 firmware which I will install this weekend, and I'll again check the earlier battery. Thanks, Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You're welcome Henning,

I've uploaded the battery friendly 1.4 firmware for the Panasonic G1, to my webspace for folks here to download.

Hope it helps!

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hope it helps!
    Thanks! May Santa Claus be especially generous to you this year!

Lupo

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo View Post

Battery for G1-GH1-GF1
    Stock Status: In Stock !

who first ordered?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered two of them, got an email today to notify me of shipping. I will let you know on reception.
    "You live and learn; at any rate you live" (Douglas Adams)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look forward to that, Rob.

What is astounding is that this firmware block is done by a company that presumably infringes on original inventions (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...x9U&refer=asia).

Olympus pays its dues and Sony have settled out of court with Kodak on similar issues.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Look forward to that, Rob.

What is astounding is that this firmware block is done by a company that presumably infringes on original inventions (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...x9U&refer=asia).

Olympus pays its dues and Sony have settled out of court with Kodak on similar issues.
    LOL ... this is SOP :: corporate hoo hah. A means for lawyers to get richer.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a pair of generic DMW-BLB13 batteries from Rong Jin a few months ago and they wouldn't work with my G1 and the current firmware at that time (V 1.2?). I got busy and never returned them. Last night I updated to the 1.4 firmware that Brian posted. When I turned on the camera I got the same old message about the batteries not working with the camera. However, since shutting off and turning back on again the message has not returned.

I have cycled the G1 on and off a few dozen times and so far it looks good. If I can get out for some extended shooting over the next few days I'll report back how it goes.
    Bob Trancho

Kevin_b1

Just got a third party battery from EBay from a seller in Hong Kong called buyitnowhk they said they had tested it in a GF1.

I now have the battery and it works fine in my GF1 and my G1, the make of the battery is SIDO who i have used before on other cameras and they are very good.

Regards

Kevin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is the name I pried of Hot here and use (this was prior to the new "upgrades" from Pana).

These do better than the "special" batts from Pana.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just received the batteries from BestBatt. Tried one immediately and it works. Now charging. Light comes on. Excellent!
    The make is 'Multiple Power', from China. Where else?

Eat your heart out Panasonic!
    "You live and learn; at any rate you live" (Douglas Adams)

koji

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_b1 View Post
    Just got a third party battery from EBay from a seller in Hong Kong called buyitnowhk they said they had tested it in a GF1.

I now have the battery and it works fine in my GF1 and my G1, the make of the battery is SIDO who i have used before on other cameras and they are very good.

Regards

Kevin
    +10

Mine is the same battery, which works fine on GF1. It has bigger capacity
    of 1,400 mAh instead of Pana's original battery with 1,250 mAh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Jerry

I think that is about the worst bit of news I've heard yet with regard to the making of a subscription industry out of owning gear.
    At least with the Apple internal notebook batteries there is a point- significantly better battery life than the previous revisions with removable batteries, as well as much longer lifetime (1000 charge cycles instead of 500.) I think for many people that is a worthwhile tradeoff (though I understand not for everyone.)

The new MacBook Pro's get up to 7 hours on a single charge.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by laptoprob View Post
    Eat your heart out Panasonic!

Yeah, piss off the users with more and more firmware upgrades to disable the non "special" batteries.

One more such stunt, all my "Lumix"/"Panasonic" branded gear goes out for good.

jerryk

Yeah, piss off the users with more and more firmware upgrades to disable the non "special" batteries.

One more such stunt, all my "Lumix"/"Panasonic" branded gear goes out for good.
    But where do you go? Canon does and I heard Nikon is going to.

jerryk

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
    At least with the Apple internal notebook batteries there is a point- significantly better battery life than the previous revisions with removable batteries, as well as much longer lifetime (1000 charge cycles instead of 500.) I think for many people that is a worthwhile tradeoff (though I understand not for everyone.)

The new MacBook Pro's get up to 7 hours on a single charge.
    There is no reason they could not make a removable batteries with the same performance characteristics.

Also, that 7 hours can only be achieved when the battery (not the computer) is brand new. As the batteries age their ability to hold charge diminished. The other downside is you cannot carry a spare battery for your laptop.

The upside for Apple is that in a year or two when battery life starts to get shorter you might consider just upgrading to the next model versus sending your old model in for a battery swap.
    Last edited by jerryk; 11th November 2009 at 08:19.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But where do you go? Canon does and I heard Nikon is going to.
    Whatever Canon does has no bearing on me.

Sure Nikon can do it as well.

Whenever there is a block, there will be a hack. That is the reality.

If they want to piss users off, let them come up with something (as in Mac) that is really special (price and performance).

Olympus has no such problems within the m4/3rds, btw.

FWIW, an universal charger is agreed upon for cell phones. This is environmentally friendly as well.

Making the batteries to conform to a standard size/output would be the way to go. Too many of the Lithium, etc batteries are very harmful for the environment.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no reason they could not make a removable batteries with the same performance characteristics.

Also, that 7 hours can only be achieved when the battery (not the computer) is brand new. As the batteries age their ability to hold charge diminished. The other downside is you cannot carry a spare battery for your laptop.

The upside for Apple is that in a year or two when battery life starts to get shorter you might consider just upgrading to the next model versus sending your old model in for a battery swap.
    I don't think anyone offers a real notebook with the form factor of the MBP, with 7 hours of battery life.

The battery life will decline over time, but that is the same for all batteries. The rated lifetime of Apple's batteries is 1000 charges, 2x of regular (of course we will see how well they really hold up.) I understand that there are only minor form factor improvements by making the battery internal, but whatever the difference the battery life of my MBP is really, really good.

The battery is actually easy to access, and it's only a matter of time before 3rd party batteries are available. The main inconvenience is not being able to easily swap in a fresh battery when no power plug is available. But I've never even owned a backup battery for my notebooks, so given the existing choices out there, the new MBP is my personal preference (given that I will be able to replace the battery myself when the time comes.)

If you don't want to swap it yourself, Apple charges $129 for the service. Definitely a bit steep, but I think the regular removable batteries for older batteries were not much cheaper (I never bought retail so don't remember exactly.) Apple's and Panasonic's margins on batteries is probably similar.
    Last edited by madmaxmedia; 11th November 2009 at 09:00.

Post Thanks / Like

Time will tell I guess how accurately they reverse engineered the thing and whether Panasonic will be able to lock them out in a future firmware.
    Yeah, hopefully it has been reverse-engineered well enough that Panasonic can't block these batteries without blocking out their own.

This is the first time this has happened, so time will tell. In the original 'lockout', no OEM batteries had the authorization firmware or whatever the right term is.

Apple has similar hardware lockout for many iPod accessories, but 3rd parties have bypassed those as well.