The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 Look

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well most of you have talked all about this camera from the finder to the batteries and everything in between. Now i ordered one and get it next week but i did not order it for any other reason than what i am seeing in the images and this subject has maybe not been touched on to much. Now a lot about the technical and what parts have been talked about and settings and such but honestly i have not paid that much attention to it but what i have done and continue to do is been looking at the images. Now i come directly down from the mountain top of medium format which many of us know is known for tonal range , look and depth to the images. I think this is a area we should be looking at because i am seeing some nice traits to these files that I am liking very much. The first one is tonal range now obviously this cam does not have the DR of the MF world but what i am seeing is it is a very smooth tonal range with very nice transitions and the images seem to have some nice depth to them. Not over saturated and not flat but just a nice range to them. Also I am seeing some very nice detail that makes the images stand out more.

I don't know about other cams but for some reason i like what i see out of this one better than the G1 I had and its the same company. I have to admit my favorite images or the ones that display this look is coming mostly from the 20mm 1.7 lens. That lens seems to fit this cam very nicely to it's sensor.

Just wondering what you are all seeing in these files.

Godfrey

I've only got a small number of GF1 RW2 files from Terry's camera to look at, along with a bunch of G1 RW2 files taken with the same lens. What I see is that they are just about identical to the G1 files in terms of DR and everything else with similar subject matter that I took at the same time. None of these are at excessively high ISO ... typically 100-500 ... so I can't tell you if ISO 1600 behaves any better than the G1 (but I'm pretty happy with the G1 up to ISO 1000 for color and 1600 for B&W).

The G 20/1.7 lens is delightful. It reminds me of a faster version of my old Elmar 3.5cm f/3.5: rather a lot of corner-edge falloff wide open, less when stopped down but always some. Very sharp across the field of view with good bokeh and contrast. A lens with good character, if not a technically perfect lens.

This "look" is what has made the G1 an exceptional favorite of mine the past 10 months, and is not out of line with the qualities and imaging I get from the Panasonic L1 model. My G1 is on loan to a friend right now and I've been shooting with the L1 a bit today. It is indeed still a superb performer.

barjohn

Guy, you bring up some good points. This camera is growing on me as I am learning more about it. I think it does a better job of balancing the highs and lows in its exposure algorithm to accommodate the limitations of the sensor. I liked the E-P1 images but it definitely skewed exposure toward the shadows and blew the highlights in a heartbeat. Still, its JPG engine renders very nice images with really great skin tones. I haven't done enough shooting with the GF1 yet to be able to give a broader opinion. I am still experimenting with different options and seeing what kind of look they give me. Oh yea! I almost forgot to mention that 20mm f1.7. It is really a gem of a lens on this camera. I really am now struggling trying to decide whether to get the Leica 45 f2.8 macro or the 14-45 (I had it and sold it but now wish I had kept it) or the 14-140. I'll probably go the kit first and the Leica next.

Last edited:

Godfrey

... I really am now struggling trying to decide whether to get the Leica 45 f2.8 macro or the 14-45 (I had it and sold it but now wish I had kept it) or the 14-140. I'll probably go the kit first and the Leica next.
To my way of thinking, the GF1 plus 20 and 45 is a near perfect kit, along with optical clip-on viewfinders matched for each. I know you have the EVF already, but there's something about this camera with these two primes and matched OVFs that is just calling my name.

Just waiting for my ship to come in, then I'll be ordering the whole shebang.

Brian Mosley

Guy, I think you should expect almost identical performance in raw with the GF1 to the G1.

My ideal lens kit for the E-P1 would be the 20mm f1.7, 45mm f2.8 and 7-14mm f4.

John, did you shoot your E-P1 at ISO 100? I can't understand why you were blowing highlights? I shoot at ISO 200 as base ISO and never have a problem.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

I don't know about other cams but for some reason i like what i see out of this one better than the G1 I had and its the same company.
Not to question your judgment- I do not, Guy.

I am yet to be convinced by any images I have seen from the GF-1 that it produces files with better image quality.

AFAIC, it is an over priced and under featured camera camera for its very cute package.

Guy Mancuso

Maybe its the 20mm that has me thinking about it more than the G1 per say. i mean they really should not be different. Must be the lens on how it renders the range. I did not have the 20mm when the G1 was out . I'm still waiting to shoot it and really just going by everyones images. A couple images struck me from Cindy's and a few others like m_driscoll set with the veggies.

Audii-Dudii

Maybe its the 20mm that has me thinking about it more than the G1 per say. i mean they really should not be different. Must be the lens on how it renders the range.
I only used my GF1 for two days before sending it off to Mike Johnston at T.O.P. for a bit (and I see that he's using it, too, as EXIF data shows the gourd image he posted this morning was captured with it!) but in that brief time, I noticed no differences of note when photographing the same scene with each camera.

I did, however, notice the 20mm lens has a very pleasing character and I suspect this may indeed be responsible for what you're seeing.

J

jerryk

I am wondering how much of the high quality of the sample images is due to the photographers selecting the correct framing and light for the camera/lens combination. Most of the people on this forum seem to have higher levels of experience than what you see in other photography forums.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Maybe its the 20mm that has me thinking about it more than the G1 per say.
I would agree with the comments about comparative IQ. In my first week with the GF1, I would say the IQ is essentially equal to the G1. However, what puts the "look" into an entirely different league is the 20/1.7 lens; it is simply stellar, and generates a thin DoF when you want it to.

Plus it is compact and here is where the GF1 comes into its own for me as preferred over the G1: It feels a lot smaller (though from a practical standpoint it really isn't) but in handling it is like comparing an M9 to a DSLR, simple and sweet and unobtrusive. For those reasons, I prefer it over the G1/GH1 options...

That said, I think one could make a compelling argument for a 2-camera kit that included a GF1 and a G/GH1 :thumbs:

Diane B

That said, I think one could make a compelling argument for a 2-camera kit that included a GF1 and a G/GH1 :thumbs:
You've probably noticed that a number of us have done just that ;) I'm going to head out with just that kit this afternoon for some later afternoon shooting without the 5D for the first time---just a G1 and GH1 and the lenses I decided work for today. :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

I am wondering how much of the high quality of the sample images is due to the photographers selecting the correct framing and light for the camera/lens combination. Most of the people on this forum seem to have higher levels of experience than what you see in other photography forums.
Nicest compliment on our members that could ever be said and I AGREE 100 PERCENT. Thanks for that comment

barjohn

Brian, re the E-P1, I was shooting bright beach scenes and the DR is probably outside what the camera is capable of covering. My subjects were perfectly exposed but the sky was blown out in areas. It's not the worst thing that can happen as the subjects of the shoot really looked good to me.

While I no longer have the G1, there seems to be subtle improvements in the IQ. The firmware is different (Ver. 1.0 for both body and lens) and high ISO seems a little cleaner. My recollection (always subject to error at my age) is that the big transition point in high ISO was going above 800 on the G1 and on the GF1 that transition point seems to be around 1600 and less dramatic. Again, could be my faulty memory.

Brian Mosley

John, I only wondered because you said the E-P1 "blew the highlights in a heartbeat" and that's not been my experience. Did you shoot at ISO 200?

Cheers

Brian

barjohn

Yes at ISO 200 most of the time. I know I have read others comments noting the same thing. By the way your tree shot is really a good example of an image having a 3D quality to it. The more I look at it the more it seems to just stand off the screen.