The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DNG Files in Aperture

pellicule

Hi,

First Post - I hope I'm not rehashing old messages.

If I convert the GF1 Raw files to DNG using Adobe DNG Converter why can they not be opened in Aperture?

I thought DNG was an electronic negative and therefore not camera dependent?

I realize I can use Raw Photo Processor as a free/donate program, but it generate huge TIFFs.

any ideas?

jonoslack

Hi,

First Post - I hope I'm not rehashing old messages.

If I convert the GF1 Raw files to DNG using Adobe DNG Converter why can they not be opened in Aperture?

I thought DNG was an electronic negative and therefore not camera dependent?

I realize I can use Raw Photo Processor as a free/donate program, but it generate huge TIFFs.

any ideas?
Hi Pellicule
in haste - you should be able to open them in Aperture. But you must export them as a normal DNG file and NOT as a linear file (which Aperture won't read).

E

edslaughter

I'm a fellow sufferer, not an expert. Others please chime in. Here's what think is the case:

Aperture only processes DNGs if they are converted from RAW files that it understands. Until Apple supports a camera, you can't process its RAW or DNGs. Once it _does_ support a camera, then you can import either RAW directly or DNGs made from the RAW.

You (and I) are among many who devoutly wish Apple would get moving and support a number of cameras that have been widely available for a long time.

Slight modifications to the above: 1) I think that Aperture will _import_ RAW and DNG files it won't open so that eventually, when the files are supported, you could go back and process them. I have not tested this. and 2) sometimes it is possible to edit the plist for Aperture to make it think that unsupported files from Camera X are actually from Camera Y (a close relative from the same maker that is supported) and then Aperture will open the Camera X files and treat them like files from Camera Y. There are instructions on the net for doing this with some Olympus files, I think. Unfortunately I have not found anything about doing it with Panasonic G Series cameras.

The idea that DNGs are universal is widespread but, unfortunately, not true. A few years back Adobe hyped a good idea beyond reality. DNG seems to be rather a kind of universal _wrapper_ for a bunch of data that has manufacturer dependent stuff in it. And things are getting worse not better since some makers (including Panasonic) are now putting lens correction information in the RAW file. So far as I know, Aperture does not yet have even the framework for dealing with lens correction data in RAW, much less the specific parameters for particular lenses.

E

edslaughter

Jono,

I was typing the above while you were posting. When you get a chance would expand on your post? This whole topic is complicated and frustrating. I would really like to be able to gracefully use Aperture for GF1 RAW or DNGs, but can't make it work. If you can show me how I'd be grateful.

I'm using the current (2.1.4) Aperture. I just today downloaded the latest version of DNG Converter 5.5. A RAW file from my GF1 converts to DNG ok; it opens fine in Photoshop CS4; but Aperture will not even (despite what I said above) import the DNG, much less open it.

I don't understand what you said about the linear vs. normal DNG. My version of DNG converter doesn't seem to have an Export command--you merely identify a source and destination folder. And there is no reference to "regular" or "linear" DNG in the preferences. I know--sort of--the difference; I just can't find the command in the converter. I'm pretty confident, though, that I do convert to regular DNGs--the resulting DNGs are close to the size of the RAW file, not three times as big.

C

Coveted Pixel

Open up DNG converter, (version 5.5) then click on "change preferences" in preferences, (which is panel 4 there in the main window)

Under compatibility, select "Camera Raw 4.6 and later" from the pop up menu.

The default is "Camera Raw 5.4 and later" but most apps don't yet support the latest DNG specification.

That's also is how you need to do it to open up DNGs even within Adobe's own DNG Profiles editor, btw...

jonoslack

Oh Dear
I don't have a GF1, my E-P1 has been stolen by my son, and I only have 5.4 of the DNG converter.

. . . . . but I am a sucker, so I've dug out some E-P1 files, and I'm downloading the DNG converter, and I'll give it another go.

The trouble is that Aperture does not recognise the lens corrections. I'm guessing they are really going to have to get to grips with this, and there will be an update soon - which will probably cover the other similar cameras like the d-lux4, the lx3 and the G1 . . . but I don't know (just hoping really).

One thing I can say is that Aperture will recognise DNG files which it doesn't have camera profiles for (the Leica M9 is a perfect example). When they do include camera support you can apply it or not. The basic DNG support may not be complete, but it IS good - I've fiddled with C1, Lightroom and Aperture with the M9, and come back to Aperture as providing the best combination of quality and useability. Converted files from both the Sony A900 and the Olympus E3 worked well with aperture before they had full support.

Okay - while I've been rabbiting I've downloaded 5.5. . . . . .

I'm sorry for the bum steer . . . it simply doesn't work. (I was sure it did with 5.4, but perhaps I was mistaken).

So the choices are to shoot jpg until Apple get their act together, or to download a trial of Lightroom to use in the meantime.

Apple really should get their act together over this, it must be losing them business every day . . . it makes one wonder about their commitment to Aperture.

E

edslaughter

Jono,

Thank you very much. One thing at least seems clear: the matter is indeed confused and complicated! Not to mention irritating. If _you_ can't make it work, there must be an actual problem. (Note, though, that I was talking about GF1 files, not E-P1.)

I agree wholeheartedly about Apple's tardiness. I love Aperture but this is really starting to try my patience.

Coveted Pixel. Thanks for the suggestion. I was indeed set to "5.4 and later". So I changed to "4.6 and later". That still doesn't work with Aperture, but it doesn't work in a different way. Aperture sees the thumbnail preview, imports the image (I think), but just can't open it. When I click on the preview I get the infamous "unsupported image format" message.

To be clear: Mac Pro, OS 10.6.2, Aperture 2.14, Panasonic GF1 RW2 files, Adobe DNG Converter 5.5 set to "4.6 or later".

pellicule

Thanks,

I have the Silkypix Software which does a decent job as it goes but I don't want to learn another DAMned piece of software. I have 15k images in Aperture, I like the interface I use the Nik plug-ins, I do not want to think of transferring my library to Lightroom, nor do I want to use another piece of software for my GF1.

I guess I'll go in camera jpeg and as I'll mostly be using it for B+W I'll have that set as preference.

I seem to remember reading threads some time ago about the lack of support for cameras - even from the big players like the Nikon, and it raising the rumor of is Aperture going to die?

If anyone reading this has a contact in Apple - can they find out if there is a timeline to support the micro 4/3s cameras? Or am I flogging a dead donkey and should wake up and begin the transfer to Lightroom?

merci.

jonoslack

There is only one thing one can be sure about with Apple. . . .
There will be no advance information . . . .

I can't imagine why Aperture would be about to die, and even less iPhoto, and as the RAW support is in the core operating system, then it seems that they'll have to grasp the nettle.

What does seem to be the case is that it's the lens correction information which Apple won't (at present) support.

V

vuori

I wrote a small program to strip the lens correction information from DNGs so they can be used in Aperture (obviously losing the geometric corrections). I've tested it on the GF1+20/1.7, but I'm interested whether it works for other bodies and lenses.

You can get it from here, should work on i386/ppc on 10.5 and newer. Note that this is a command-line utility so you'll need some basic skills with Terminal.