Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 40 of 40

Thread: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

  1. #1
    Kevin_b1
    Guest

    First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Below are some sample photos taken on todays walk with the GF1 either with the 14-45 or 45-200mm lens.

    I have to say that this camera is the perfect walk around camera, I originally bought the E-P1 but in my opinion the GF1 leaves it in its wake. Far superior in every aspect the E-P1 will be up for sale very shortly and use the money towards the 7-14mm to get the full zoom set.

    Any comments more then welcome.

    Regards

    Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin_b1; 13th October 2009 at 04:30. Reason: Changed photos from landscape to portrait

  2. #2
    Kevin_b1
    Guest

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Second set of photos
    Last edited by Kevin_b1; 13th October 2009 at 04:27. Reason: Changed photo from landscape to portrait

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Far superior in every aspect the E-P1 will be up for sale very shortly
    You would make as good a salesperson as me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Is there such a word as ironist Vivek? you'd make a great one of those

    Cheers

    Brian

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Is there such a word as ironist Vivek? you'd make a great one of those

    Cheers

    Brian
    Isn't that someone who get's the creases out of freshly washed shirts?

    Doesn't sound much like Vivek

    Just this guy you know

  6. #6
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_b1 View Post
    I have to say that this camera is the perfect walk around camera, I originally bought the E-P1 but in my opinion the GF1 leaves it in its wake. Far superior in every aspect the E-P1
    as someone interested in one, could you please jot down a few points on why?

  7. #7
    Kevin_b1
    Guest

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi



    as someone interested in one, could you please jot down a few points on why?
    Speed of AF almost DSLR speed
    Handerling, everything falls into place
    Menu's makes sense
    Useful items are available on a button not buired in menus
    Lens (14-45) sharp, smooth, pleasure to use
    Screen sharp with accurate colours
    Fast to use
    Review available as soon as shot is taken

    Do not have the EVF or the 20mm to speak about.

    Regards

    Kevin

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Isn't that someone who get's the creases out of freshly washed shirts?

    Doesn't sound much like Vivek

    Yup, it takes one to understand another!

    Brian, One GB Shaw (I understand that he was from your island) was called a satirist and not ironist- for example.

    Kevin, Glad this would work for you better than the E-P1 (I meant by my sales comment with the best of intentions).

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Yup, it takes one to understand another!

    .

    Absolutely - in every sense of the word.

    It does appear to be a word, however.

    Just this guy you know

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Totally new (usage) to me though (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ironist).

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Totally new (usage) to me though (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ironist).
    Unfortunately it would seem that Brian was right . . . even though he didn't know it!

    Just this guy you know

  12. #12
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Unfortunately it would seem that Brian was right . . . even though he didn't know it!
    No worries Jono, as a Yorkshireman... I always make that assumption

    Cheers

    Brian

  13. #13
    nei1
    Guest

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Vivek ,I think youre wrong about the island,but only by a little,Im shore that shaw wont mind.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

    Brian, One GB Shaw (I understand that he was from your island) was called a satirist and not ironist- for example.


    Hmmm...GBS was born at 33 Synge Street, Dublin -- it says so on the label:






    Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Vivek ,I think youre wrong about the island,but only by a little,Im shore that shaw wont mind.
    BIG difference in the islands
    [Apologies for the [email protected] phone photos]
    Sláinte

    Robert.

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Oh, my!

    Old age is catching up?!
    (totally different area!)

    Thanks for the photos, Robert.

  16. #16
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    my mom never was much of an ironist. She never got the collars right...

  17. #17
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    I love this forum!

    Never a worry about staying on-topic

    Cheers, and congratulations Kevin... enjoy your new GF1

    Brian

  18. #18
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    IQ quality wise the images could just as well have been taken with the E-P1.
    How about high ISO? How do both cameras compare?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post

    Never a worry about staying on-topic
    Brian
    Don't mention the sprouts, OK?
    Sláinte

    Robert.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Rafa, I disagree... IQ would have been different from the E-P1... Different AA filter/image processing pipeline.

    I note that Thom Hogan has just bought himself a second E-P1 - there's an interesting pano on his front page stitched from E-P1 + Lumix 7-14 shots.

    Cheers

    Brian

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Rafa, I disagree... IQ would have been different from the E-P1... Different AA filter/image processing pipeline.

    I note that Thom Hogan has just bought himself a second E-P1 - there's an interesting pano on his front page stitched from E-P1 + Lumix 7-14 shots.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Right Mate
    I'm putting you on the spot.
    Tell me why the E-P1 is better than the G-F1 (WRT AA filter and image processing pipeline)
    (I certainly don't care about flash or EVF, and I probably don't care about focus speed) . . . but I'm very considering getting back into m4/3 (silas stole my E-P1).

    Just this guy you know

  22. #22
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    I have to admit that I sometimes regret selling the EP1. The files had a nice grain/grit to them, especially at iso 1600. I haven't seen enough GF1, nor have I shot it so I can't really compare.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Hi Jono,

    my feeling is that the E-P1 produces cleaner, smoother detail through Olympus Studio and out of camera jpegs, with the closest thing to the Olympus E-1 colour signature I've seen since the E-400.

    I believe the AA filter is actually a little stronger than the G1 (and I'm guessing the GF1 uses the same AA filter as G1). You can see evidence of this in Andy Westlake's widget tests of the 20mm f1.7 on the G1 vs the E-P1... the lens shows higher resolution on the G1... I don't believe this necessarily translates to better IQ.

    Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself whether Olympus IQ is more than a myth

    Cheers

    Brian

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hi Jono,

    my feeling is that the E-P1 produces cleaner, smoother detail through Olympus Studio and out of camera jpegs, with the closest thing to the Olympus E-1 colour signature I've seen since the E-400.
    Hmm, well, one thing is for sure, which is that I won't be using Olympus Studio . . . it's either Aperture or Lightroom, or possibly C1, anything else implies such a difference in workflow that it isn't even worth thinking about. (I do have studio, but I ain't using it! )
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I believe the AA filter is actually a little stronger than the G1 (and I'm guessing the GF1 uses the same AA filter as G1). You can see evidence of this in Andy Westlake's widget tests of the 20mm f1.7 on the G1 vs the E-P1... the lens shows higher resolution on the G1... I don't believe this necessarily translates to better IQ.
    No, nor do I.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself whether Olympus IQ is more than a myth

    Cheers

    Brian
    Well, I'm right up for myths . . . but, you've singularly failed to live up to the Yorkshireman myth of absolute conviction

    Just this guy you know

  25. #25
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Well, I have total conviction that I'm shooting with the best available m4/3rds combination right now - the E-P1 + 20mm f1.7 rocks!

    Cheers

    Brian

  26. #26
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ...


    Well, I'm right up for myths . . . but, you've singularly failed to live up to the Yorkshireman myth of absolute conviction
    I've never heard about that, but I'm not a Yorkshireman. I am a Suffolkman.

    The only myth about Suffolkmen that I know about is that they have legs like tree-trunks, that certainly fits me.
    But as a Suffolkman, I always lean to the conservative side, I have a G1 because it's the best, and an E-P1 because it has in-body stabilization (but I'm beginning to think "do I really need that", because I have legs like tree trunks )

    Keith

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Well, I have total conviction that I'm shooting with the best available m4/3rds combination right now - the E-P1 + 20mm f1.7 rocks!

    Cheers

    Brian
    Hi Brian
    Okay - well, that does hold some weight . . . but first I need to find whether I can print to an Epson 3800 from Lightroom2 in 64 bit mode under Snow Leopard . . . and nobody seems to know!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    I've never heard about that, but I'm not a Yorkshireman. I am a Suffolkman.

    The only myth about Suffolkmen that I know about is that they have legs like tree-trunks, that certainly fits me.
    But as a Suffolkman, I always lean to the conservative side, I have a G1 because it's the best, and an E-P1 because it has in-body stabilization (but I'm beginning to think "do I really need that", because I have legs like tree trunks )

    Keith
    Hi Keith
    Ah, well, I guess that as I was born in Cornwall, then I ought to be a Cornishman . . . but I've lived on the Suffolk/Norfolk for 26 years, so perhaps I get honorary status! On the other hand, I don't have legs like tree-trunks, so maybe I do need IS!

    Just this guy you know

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Well, I have total conviction that I'm shooting with the best available m4/3rds combination right now - the E-P1 + 20mm f1.7 rocks!

    Cheers

    Brian

    Anyone sells a 20mm viewfinder?

  29. #29
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    You need a 40mm.

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    20mm.

    The Oly-D 17/2.8's VF-1 is a 17mm finder.

    http://www.precision-camera.com/product/260052

  31. #31
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    20mm.

    The Oly-D 17/2.8's VF-1 is a 17mm finder.

    http://www.precision-camera.com/product/260052
    But the sensor is capturing a 40mm FOV. How would a 20mm finder work?

    I assume that's a typo...

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    I use a Voigtlander 35mm finder with the 17 and it works really well with the 20 also--in fact maybe better than with teh 17 (remember its 3:2 format)---if that helps.

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    14

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    The Sigma VF-21 finder for DP-2 should work although it's a 3:2 rather than 4:3 aspect ratio for the frame lines.

    -Thomas

  34. #34
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    20mm.

    The Oly-D 17/2.8's VF-1 is a 17mm finder.

    http://www.precision-camera.com/product/260052
    That one works pretty well with the 20mm f1.7 Vivek.

    Cheers

    Brian

  35. #35
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Jono, don't take my word for E-P1 quality... Simon Johnson over at dpreview has just put his review up.

    Regarding comparative image quality here.

    "With the same lens and (almost) the same sensor it should come as no surprise at all that these two cameras produce superficially similar results. The more you look at the two shots, however, the more differences you can find - and the more obvious it becomes that Olympus is still beating Panasonic by just about every measure when it comes to in-camera JPEG processing. The E-P1 is not only capturing fractionally more detail, but its output is cleaner (without the GF1's moiré and artefacts) and is less 'digital' looking, certainly when viewed this close.

    The color differences (which we've covered in more detail elsewhere) are more likely to affect most users than minor differences in pixel level rendering; you've got to be looking pretty closely to see the E-P1's superior JPEG performance, but superior it most certainly is."

    Regardless of image quality, he loves it!

    If you're a raw shooter, the differences will be down to your raw converter and the AA filter.

    Cheers

    Brian

  36. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    I've been trying the GF1 with the 20mm lens and come to the same conclusion: I still prefer the EP1 and its JPGs. I don't have much time for PP and I rely on good ooc JPGs based on my preferred camera settings. I like the Olympus look, whatever that is. Have ever since the E520 (now an E30). The Panasonic 20mm lens is very nice, though! And focus speed on the GF1 is indeed faster than the GF1. The EP1 is more comfortable and easier to hold. I'm sticking with Olympus. They are both great cameras.

  37. #37
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    For the pixel peepers, check out the GF1 studio shot, developed in ACR vs the E-P1 studio shot from jpeg.

    Quite amazing.

    If you're not into pixel peeping, check out the colour difference.

    Cheers

    Brian

  38. #38
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    For the pixel peepers, check out the GF1 studio shot, developed in ACR vs the E-P1 studio shot from jpeg.

    Quite amazing.

    If you're not into pixel peeping, check out the colour difference.

    Cheers

    Brian
    I agree, Brian, from what I can see there is a big difference in favor of the E-P1 in overall image quality.

    I have a G1 and an E-P1 - have been tempted by the GF-1, but the E-P1 is a keeper because of IQ and IS.

    Keith

  39. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Goodness, that is quite a drastic difference. I assume, though, that the GF1 in "vivid" mode (or whatever it's called) looks more like the E-P1 jpeg? it seems it's mostly a matter of contrast and saturation.

  40. #40
    Kevin_b1
    Guest

    Re: First shots from GF1 - Very pleased

    Intresting to hear what people on the forum still say about the E-P1 so I decided to unpack the E-P1 and give it another workout.

    What I found was that it was the Olympus 14-42 lens that I did not like as its noiser then the Panasonic 14-45 it gives the impression it takes longer to focus because you notice the noise.

    I tried the 14-45 on the E-P1 and found it was almost as quick as the GF1, so this weekend I am off to RHS Wisley so will try them side by side.

    I know what will happen I will end up keeping both and the wallet suffers.

    Regards

    Kevin

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •