The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loving my new GF1! +some photos

ggibson

Got it yesterday from Panasonic direct with the 20mm f1.7. I had agonized over my next choice of camera for months, looking at the DP2 and EP-1 primarily among others. Terry B was nice enough to meet up with me a couple weeks ago to show off her GF1 and awesome selection of lenses, and I was sold.

I switched to RAW immediately, but I've left all the other settings at default so far. Used Lightroom 2.5 for RAW processing, which seems to be the best choice from DPR's review. Any recommendations for tweaks to standard settings (noise/contrast/etc)? Or other sage advice for a GF1 newbie? :D

I haven't had much time to shoot yet, just a walk home last night and some apartment snaps, but even so, I am already wowed by the results. Mostly ISO 400 and 800. Some samples below:

Terry

First, welcome to the forum!
Next, congratulations on the new camera. Guess I pushed you off the ledge :eek:
Love the shot of the underpass, great lighting.

There are tons of good Lightroom Tutorials on line and these came to me highly recommended

http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

Settings....don't worry too much if you are shooting RAW because the jpeg settings aren't relevant but there are a bunch of settings to make the camera great to use. More on those later when I have the camera in front of me.

terry

kdemas

Welcome to the GF1 club! It's also nice to see another Bay Area shooter. Hopefully you can join in on some of the get togethers that happen every now and then..

Enjoy the camera! I love the 20mm BTW, great little lens!

Kent

ggibson

Thanks for the link! I just started playing with LR last month, so I'm sure my knowledge is just barely scratching the surface.

I'm loving the 20mm so far as well. So fast!

Although... I find myself also glancing at my other lens options already (never owned an interchangeable lens camera before... accessories, accessories...). Initially, I was thinking of just going for the 14-45mm since it's small, inexpensive, and a decent performer from what I've heard, but why doesn't Panasonic offer it separately? :confused: It's also disappointing that all of the other 4/3 lenses so far are kind of slow.

ggibson

Is there a consensus on the 14-45mm versus the 14-140mm? Both seem to be pretty well regarded. For those that have both, which one do you reach for more often? Is there much of a difference in size?

Also, how's the 45-200mm on the GF1? Massive?

simonclivehughes

Is there a consensus on the 14-45mm versus the 14-140mm? Both seem to be pretty well regarded. For those that have both, which one do you reach for more often? Is there much of a difference in size?

Also, how's the 45-200mm on the GF1? Massive?
Well, the 14-45mm is tiny compared to the 14-140mm, and very much lighter. If I'm shooting within it's range, I'd choose it, but if you want that zoom range plus longer, the the 14-140mm is the go-to lens. It is a great carry-one lens.

The 45-200mm while slightly longer than the 14-140mm is quite a bit lighter and I wouldn't characterize it as "massive" by any means. It too is a lovely lens.

Cheers,