Site Sponsors

Thread: ooops I seem to have a GF1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ooops I seem to have a GF1

Hi there
    My E3 kit has been languishing for much too long (I loved it, so it stayed, unused in the face of the A900 and M9). So I traded in an E3 body and a couple of lenses, and I seem to have a GF1 with the little 14-45, and the bigger 14-140. I didn't get the 20 f1.7, because I use the leica for low light.

Anyway, I managed to nipped out with the dog for a few minutes after work, too soon to come to any conclusions . . . except that it works, and it's fun to use.

Here are some first shots:

Last edited by jonoslack; 16th October 2009 at 11:02.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ooops I seem to have a GF1

Ah, well Jono, I think many of us were expecting this post! Have fun!

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely, as usual, Jono.

Post Thanks / Like

by golly Jono, I thought that you had died and gone to heaven, whereever that is but it is encouraging to see you back with the "regular" folk again. How sweet it is to play with all these toys that are on the market and if the truth were told....no one could tell the difference with your photos....they all are fabulous. I hope that you are not working to hard!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What took you so long?
    SlŠinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did you not order the bolt on EVF to go with it Jono?

Seriously, a surprising lens selection... those lenses are a bit big on the GF1 aren't they? The 20mm f1.7 is the best reason to have any m4/3rds body at the moment - regardless of low light capability, the IQ and size is terrific.

Have fun!

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Did you not order the bolt on EVF to go with it Jono?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Seriously, a surprising lens selection... those lenses are a bit big on the GF1 aren't they? The 20mm f1.7 is the best reason to have any m4/3rds body at the moment - regardless of low light capability, the IQ and size is terrific.
    Well, the 14-140 was a bit of a whim, as it seemed so nice to use (and fast to focus).

If I want small fast primes on a good small body . . . then I already have that, and the 20 f1.7, lovely though it may be, is not really likely to compete with the 50 f1.4 on the M9.

This is one of the reasons why I didn't get Pen (with it's IS), because I realised that I'm not going to put primes on this camera - I'm going to use it as a compact point and shoot.

the 14-140 isn't small, but compared to the 24-70 + 70- 300 on the sony A900 it is quite small

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    by golly Jono, I thought that you had died and gone to heaven, whereever that is but it is encouraging to see you back with the "regular" folk again. How sweet it is to play with all these toys that are on the market and if the truth were told....no one could tell the difference with your photos....they all are fabulous. I hope that you are not working to hard!!
    Hi Bill
    Thank you.
    I hope you're well . . .will you be in England next year?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

How are you finding the colors relative to your Olys? I keep coming close to buying the kit with 14-45, but I can't quite pull the trigger. The images I see online are pretty all over the map. I mostly am interested in the forthcoming Leica 45/2.8. I want my IS...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like we did not know this was coming. LOL

Congrats bud i have one also just waiting for me in San Francisco on Sunday, should be fun.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    How are you finding the colors relative to your Olys? I keep coming close to buying the kit with 14-45, but I can't quite pull the trigger. The images I see online are pretty all over the map. I mostly am interested in the forthcoming Leica 45/2.8. I want my IS...
    HI There
    I've been shooting RAW and processing in Lightroom (dammit). They seem perfectly okay. I had the kit with the 14-45, for a cheap and cheerful lens it seems to be nicely made .

I'm banking on the fact that Apple will have to join the party . . . and if they don't, then they'll be leaving it (in which case we'll all have to change).

The camera itself seems nice - easy to use, pretty solid.

I'm going to find that macro lens hard to ignore as well

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

Your photos are nice, I liked the 3rd one especially.

I also got my GF1 with 14-45mm today. I hesitated to buy the 14-140mm after reading a review. After using for a while please write your observations. It seems that the tele end suffers most.

On the other hand, the 14-45 kit lens is perfectly usable especially considering the size of the setup. But it's only a 3X zoom. The other one is 10X.

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

nei1

Now if youve no further use for it Im willing ,in the case of your M9,to forgive it its sordid past and accept it as a gift on my path to digital nirvana,thankyou yoda.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Now if youve no further use for it Im willing ,in the case of your M9,to forgive it its sordid past and accept it as a gift on my path to digital nirvana,thankyou yoda.
    Neil
    I had already thought of this, but, I have more respect for your purist philosophy than you do yourself, and so, having paid the piper, the only reasonable thing to do seems to be to keep it for myself.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    Jono,

Your photos are nice, I liked the 3rd one especially.

I also got my GF1 with 14-45mm today. I hesitated to buy the 14-140mm after reading a review. After using for a while please write your observations. It seems that the tele end suffers most.

On the other hand, the 14-45 kit lens is perfectly usable especially considering the size of the setup. But it's only a 3X zoom. The other one is 10X.

Seyhun
    Hi Seyhun
    I haven't spent long enough with the lens to work out how good/bad it is (although I realise that one really does need to give a little rope to 10x zooms).

The 14-45 seems to be splendid though.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you have fun with it. The 14-45 is a quite nice little lens and should suit you for those times you need that FL. As always--nice photos--but I wouldn't expect anything less LOL.

I know you say you don't need the 20 for low light, but I'm betting you would like it for its IQ combined with the really small size making that GF1 a really smallish cam---and having one faster lens that's lovely wide open.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm confined to iPhone viewing but I can tell it was another beautiful light afternoon. Nothing truly surprises me anymore. LOL. I hope this is the small camera you've been hankering after. I think on a nice strap strung across your body it will make for an easier horse riding/photo duo than worrying about an M9.

Congratulations - and if it doesn't work out you've the next son will get in line for a hand me down.....or Silas will steal the 14-140 for "his" Pen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Hope you have fun with it. The 14-45 is a quite nice little lens and should suit you for those times you need that FL. As always--nice photos--but I wouldn't expect anything less LOL.

I know you say you don't need the 20 for low light, but I'm betting you would like it for its IQ combined with the really small size making that GF1 a really smallish cam---and having one faster lens that's lovely wide open.
    Hi Diane
    Thank you - I hope you're well. Worth getting the camera for the price of entry for you lovely people around here
    the 20 is tempting, but it's not really any smaller than my 35 summarit . . . the real attraction is having a zoom on something small with decent quality.

Just this guy you know

nei1

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Neil
    I had already thought of this, but, I have more respect for your purist philosophy than you do yourself, and so, having paid the piper, the only reasonable thing to do seems to be to keep it for myself.
    Thankyou oh wise one,..........I am saved,................praise be!!

Post Thanks / Like

... it's not really any smaller than my 35 summarit . . .
    Jono,

I see your logic, but the 20 really is magical and it has AF which can come in handy for more relaxed/stealthy captures. I'm having a good time seeing what the face recognition focus mode can do with this lens, especially wide open.

BTW, I love that cloudscape!

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I'm confined to iPhone viewing but I can tell it was another beautiful light afternoon. Nothing truly surprises me anymore. LOL. I hope this is the small camera you've been hankering after. I think on a nice strap strung across your body it will make for an easier horse riding/photo duo than worrying about an M9.

Congratulations - and if it doesn't work out you've the next son will get in line for a hand me down.....or Silas will steal the 14-140 for "his" Pen.
    Hi Terry
    many thanks for your marathon email on your phone - I'm still working through it. Strapping stuff around your body on a horse seems to be frowned on . . . so it has to go on a small bag on the saddle, so the M9 isn't so much a worry . . . but changing lenses is quite beyond me, so the zoom is an attraction, and first impression is that the little 14-45 is very good (not so sure about the 14-140, but then, one shouldn't expect miracles I guess).

Silas is the danger person - his current favorite is the Zeiss 50 sonnar on the E-P1 (which is clearly better for the task with it's IS). He isn't really a zoom kindofaguy though - you can look:
    Silas Slack's pictures

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Thankyou oh wise one,..........I am saved,................praise be!!
    sorry Neil - it was a cheap jibe

Please accept humble and unironic apologies

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Jono,

I see your logic, but the 20 really is magical and it has AF which can come in handy for more relaxed/stealthy captures. I'm having a good time seeing what the face recognition focus mode can do with this lens, especially wide open.

BTW, I love that cloudscape!

Cheers,
    HI Simon
    Well, I still have a couple of hundred quid 'credit' after the trade in, so maybe the 20 is the thing to do with it.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice photos, Jono!

I'm considering whether the effort to sell my E-1 bodies, E-1 Grip, maybe the 50-200, and Pentax 645+two lens kit is really worth it, and whether the local dealer might offer enough in trade to finance a GF1 + 20mm + EVF kit. I'd likely get enough more use out of the GF1 + 20 that it makes having all these other things which are sitting in the cabinet unused the vast majority of the time worth turning over even at the substantial penalty that implies, or whether I can get satisfactorily more out of them by selling via Ebay privately.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Diane
    Thank you - I hope you're well. Worth getting the camera for the price of entry for you lovely people around here
    the 20 is tempting, but it's not really any smaller than my 35 summarit . . . the real attraction is having a zoom on something small with decent quality.
    We love having you over here. I get why you want the zoom--tough to change lenses under certain circumstances---on horseback isn't one Or even out walking with the dogs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Nice photos, Jono!
    HI Godfrey - thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm considering whether the effort to sell my E-1 bodies, E-1 Grip, maybe the 50-200, and Pentax 645+two lens kit is really worth it, and whether the local dealer might offer enough in trade to finance a GF1 + 20mm + EVF kit. I'd likely get enough more use out of the GF1 + 20 that it makes having all these other things which are sitting in the cabinet unused the vast majority of the time worth turning over even at the substantial penalty that implies, or whether I can get satisfactorily more out of them by selling via Ebay privately.
    My trouble with ebay is the dreaded 'round to it', I'm really busy at the moment and it's the sort of thing which always gets put off. I was ready for a BIG haggle about the prices, but he actually offered me £200 more than I would have agreed to (Dave you're wonderful if you're reading this!). I guess I might have got 20 or 30% more on ebay (but not more than that), and it's worth that for the lack of responsibility alone!

I was really sorry to see the E3 go, and the 7-14 as well, the 50-200 less so. Truth is, if I can carry a camera that big, then I'd rather carry the A900.

I actually kept the 50 macro and the 12-60 (which, I think, is my all time favorite lens). Not really for use on the GF1, but as a protection device in case Olympus offer an E620 sized camera with weatherproofing . . .

Good luck if you do decide - cupboardware is never worth keeping!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

Very nice shots with your new GF1, but you really must get the 20 1.7

Regards,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new toy Jono. I seem to have had an oops moment myself this afternoon and ended up bringing home a GF1 body. Like I needed another camera. Still waiting for the battery to charge. Your shots certainly look promising. I hope mine turn out half that good.

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    We love having you over here. I get why you want the zoom--tough to change lenses under certain circumstances---on horseback isn't one Or even out walking with the dogs.
    Hi Diane
    Thank you!
    Yes, changing lenses on horseback isn't something I'm contemplating at present!
    We're going riding today, and hopefully I'll get some shots, but it's all rather grey and cold, so I may not!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Jono,

Very nice shots with your new GF1, but you really must get the 20 1.7

Regards,
    Carl
    HI Carl
    Well, I do have a little credit left with the dealer, not quite enough for the 20, but it does seem like an obvious choice . . . maybe I'll give in.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    Congrats on the new toy Jono. I seem to have had an oops moment myself this afternoon and ended up bringing home a GF1 body. Like I needed another camera. Still waiting for the battery to charge. Your shots certainly look promising. I hope mine turn out half that good.

Bill
    HI Bill
    Congratulations back! You're much more patient than me, I just charged out with what battery charge there was - gave it a short top up and out again. I'm not really convinced by the first charge arguments on modern batteries.

Hopefully I'll get some more shots today - just wish the sun would come out!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono

As you know I am a true Oly lover and so I have the Pen. I think it is an amazing camera when you examine the specs but I am having difficulty with it as a p&s camera. It isn't the camera..it's me!! I will continue to struggle and I know that eventually I will learn a whole new way to take pics but old buggers take longer to learn new tricks!!

Good to see that you still have time for fun and games. Will I be back to the UK next year?? That depends on how I am feeling health wise.......I find walking becoming a problem and in England I did a lot of walking!!